Author Topic: Shawn Ray: Are photographs public domain?  (Read 1202 times)

Paul Allen

Shawn Ray: Are photographs public domain?
« on: October 12, 2007, 09:22:06 AM »
is there some kind of a deal you struck with the business people during your active days that makes your photographs public domain?

I was just on a business trip to Chicago and saw a gym with a very prominent picture of you...as its LOGO!!

I didn't recognize the other people in the shot, but it's you, a guy with a jheri curl i believe, and two girls between you guys.

is this perfectly ok with you or do you think something should be done?

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Shawn Ray: Are photographs public domain?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 09:58:47 AM »
As a public figure, you can take pictures of people in a public place, aka, expo, on stage, at a restaurant - and they can be put up. However, you can put their picture up with them endorsing a product or anything like that.

If there is a picture of Shawn Ray that he took in a public place, even with two girls, and is up on a wall, so be it.   If that picture of Shawn Ray is also in an ad, or saying 'I endorse this product', then it gets into trouble.

I am always amazed at someone who comes to the expo, works in a booth, and then doesn't want their picture taken??? Hello... then don't work in a booth and promote the company you are working for.

Mr. Cortisol

• Getbig IV
  • Twink, Twink, little star.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 10:02:48 AM »
I didn't recognize the other people in the shot, but it's you, a guy with a jheri curl i believe, and two girls between you guys.

Are you sure they were girls?
Addicted to the Steal

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 10:05:30 AM »
yes.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 10:05:45 AM »
the pic u  talk about includes mr Ray , Anja Schreiner , john Brown..

Paul Allen

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 10:05:54 AM »
As a public figure, you can take pictures of people in a public place, aka, expo, on stage, at a restaurant - and they can be put up. However, you can put their picture up with them endorsing a product or anything like that.

If there is a picture of Shawn Ray that he took in a public place, even with two girls, and is up on a wall, so be it.   If that picture of Shawn Ray is also in an ad, or saying 'I endorse this product', then it gets into trouble.

I am always amazed at someone who comes to the expo, works in a booth, and then doesn't want their picture taken??? Hello... then don't work in a booth and promote the company you are working for.

yes, that makes.

however, this was a black and white photo obviously done in a photo shoot (it was in a gym type setting as the girls were sitting on a weight bench)...my best guess would be it was taken out of a magazine and then blown up, made as an awning and used.  i actually had a few seconds to look at it, there were no copyright/author markings anywhere, but it was very obvious it was shawn ray.  i did not recognize the other people in it.

Paul Allen

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 10:07:22 AM »
the pic u  talk about includes mr Ray , Anja Schreiner , john Brown..

do you have a copy of the picture?

Don Miracle

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 10:09:07 AM »

What's been the most outrageous example of this, Ron?

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 10:18:55 AM »
What Ron said.

Just watched the BTFO 1996 and Shawn had some interesting comments.  He wasn't scored as highly as Dorian on mass which is understandable, but he also scored lower on symmetry and presentation.  ???  Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.  :-\
Bodybuilding Pro.com

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 10:21:20 AM »

You can tell us you're referring to Lou Ferrigno specifically!!!