Author Topic: Titus and Ryan: Nevada Supreme Court Rules: 10-12-07  (Read 5428 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Titus and Ryan: Nevada Supreme Court Rules: 10-12-07
« on: October 12, 2007, 09:31:35 AM »
BODYBUILDERS FACING TRIAL: Ruling backs Ryan on lawyer choice
Move allowed if defendant voluntarily waives right to 'conflict-free' counsel

The Nevada Supreme Court ruled Thursday that former national fitness champion Kelly Ryan can select a lawyer of her choosing, even though her prospective attorney's law firm also will defend her husband, bodybuilder Craig Titus.

Ryan and Titus are co-defendants in an upcoming trial in which they face charges of murdering their personal assistant, Melissa James, in December 2005. James' body was found in Ryan's burned car just off state Route 160 in Southern Nevada.

District Judge Jackie Glass postponed their trial, set to begin in April, so that Ryan could ask the Supreme Court if she could fire her current attorney, Greg Denue, and replace him with a lawyer whose law firm also represents her husband.

In the decision, justices said there is a strong presumption in law that nonindigent criminal defendants can choose their own lawyers if they voluntarily waive their right to a "conflict-free" counsel.

When a defendant knowingly, intelligently and voluntarily waives the right to conflict-free representation, the district court must accept that waiver," the court stated.

The justices also said if Ryan agrees to representation with the firm that represents her husband, she cannot later claim she was ineffectively represented.

The appeal to the Supreme Court was filed in the spring after Denue filed legal documents in which he said Ryan was a battered woman. He added that he planned to tell a jury that she was under the control of her husband when James was found dead.

Denue also asked that Ryan be tried separately from her husband. He added that Ryan was wavering on whether she wanted to fire him. Earlier, Ryan had fired another lawyer.

Denue claimed that Titus was trying to control his wife's legal defense through his lawyer, Marc Saggese.

In court motions, Denue said Saggese wanted to have Ryan "sacrificed at the altar of Craig Titus."

But Michael Cristalli, the lawyer who wants to represent Ryan, said Denue's comments were untrue. He said Ryan did not want to blame her husband for James' slaying. Cristalli and Saggese are law partners.

Chief Justice Bill Maupin entered a dissent in which he said "this attempt at joint representation has been mismanaged."

If Ryan is convicted, Maupin said there still would be an issue about whether she had an effective lawyer because of the dual representation.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
Re: Titus and Ryan: Nevada Supreme Court Rules: 10-12-07
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 09:32:26 AM »
I hope he is innocent so he can recapture his former glorious position in the BB industry!!!
L

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 09:37:23 AM »
Kelly is still under Craigs control...Amazing.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 09:51:56 AM »
I hope he is innocent so he can recapture his former glorious position in the BB industry!!!

They are on trial for their lives. I can safely say that Craig and Kelly won't be compete if they are ever set free or received a reduced sentence. But watch... one day, they will be at the Olympia expo at a booth...

Effectively, what this ruling does is let the case and trial finally start. There should be no more delays.  Except for the question of his prosecutor Robert Daskas is still on the case, as he announced his intentions to run for office, for the suburban congressional district.

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 09:54:50 AM »
Kelly is still under Craigs control...Amazing.

Thats because they are innocent!
Most are all show no go!

Don Miracle

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 09:58:37 AM »
Man, what a fantastic mess. 

I'd really love to know what's going on in Saggese and Cristalli's office.  Is there really a good defense plan brewing, or is it simply a ploy to make a few extra bucks?

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 10:01:39 AM »
he murdered a human then let her body burnt so parents cant recognize it and be able to go burry their own daughter that was murdered and burnt all that predetermined,,

only place he will see anything is from gates of hell after being put to death ,,its nevada baby,,nevada likes to inject you to hell,,ugly wife 10-20 years in since most american courts wont execure female if they have a diff choice in this case a narcotics user and abuser that commited one of the dumnst yet planned murder in history of the state of nevada in addition to burning and trying to eliminate the fuckin evidence,,he is finished wether it is in april 2008 or april 2010 he wont live to see 2020
fallen angel

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 10:05:40 AM »
actually coming to think about it more deeply,,ugly wife going away for life with possibility of parole,,about 20 years served
fallen angel

Master Blaster

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 10:07:33 AM »
he murdered a human then let her body burnt so parents cant recognize it and be able to go burry their own daughter that was murdered and burnt all that predetermined,,

only place he will see anything is from gates of hell after being put to death ,,its nevada baby,,nevada likes to inject you to hell,,ugly wife 10-20 years in since most american courts wont execure female if they have a diff choice in this case a narcotics user and abuser that commited one of the dumnst yet planned murder in history of the state of nevada in addition to burning and trying to eliminate the fuckin evidence,,he is finished wether it is in april 2008 or april 2010 he wont live to see 2020

You're still mad about that time he placed ahead of you at the Arnold.  ::)

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 11:31:53 AM »
It would be cool if this trial got televised on Court TV or something so we could watch and laugh.  Unfortunately, Titus & Ryan are pretty much nobodies in the mainstream world, so it may not make the cut.

Maybe we could start an email campaign to convince Court TV to run it?
Ron: "I am lazy."

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 11:41:05 AM »
Women who like bad boys are idiots.  Kelly's father warned her against Craig.  She didn't listen.  Now she will more than likely pay the price for the rest of her life.  Quality women go for guys like Gunter.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Undisputed

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 12:16:56 PM »
Boom

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 12:26:20 PM »
It would be cool if this trial got televised on Court TV or something so we could watch and laugh.  Unfortunately, Titus & Ryan are pretty much nobodies in the mainstream world, so it may not make the cut.

Maybe we could start an email campaign to convince Court TV to run it?

I'm down.  that nancy grace would eat up this story.
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 12:30:16 PM »
I'm down.  that nancy grace would eat up this story.

nah this is just gonna put more bad publicity for steroids and people are going to hate bodybuiders even more. This acutally will suck for the whole industry. I bet sales will drop all over if it makes it mainstream.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 01:28:58 PM »
nah this is just gonna put more bad publicity for steroids and people are going to hate bodybuiders even more. This acutally will suck for the whole industry. I bet sales will drop all over if it makes it mainstream.

Steroid sales would drop?   Cool!  Given static supply and reduced demand, that means prices should drop!  ;D

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 01:43:16 PM »
They are on trial for their lives. I can safely say that Craig and Kelly won't be compete if they are ever set free or received a reduced sentence. But watch... one day, they will be at the Olympia expo at a booth...

Effectively, what this ruling does is let the case and trial finally start. There should be no more delays.  Except for the question of his prosecutor Robert Daskas is still on the case, as he announced his intentions to run for office, for the suburban congressional district.

yeah right, maybe at that big ol' olympia expo in the sky, but thats about it.  these two are finished
its comin today

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 01:45:37 PM »
yeah right, maybe at that big ol' olympia expo in the sky, but thats about it.  these two are finished

Maybe that's why Ron won't let me have Titus' old account...  he actually thinks Craiggers will be back on the outside using it one day.   ::)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 01:48:17 PM »
if there was any justice both of these scumbags would be strapped to a gurney recieving the lethal injection.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 01:58:04 PM »
Craig has done nothing wrong.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2007, 02:28:31 PM »
killy did it...craig was just the enabler

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2007, 03:10:21 PM »
If they can prove that Melissa James died on an apparent overdose, just like what Kelly Ryan told Mandy Polk after it happened when they were staying at her house, then they might not get life or the death sentence. It seems they got scared after she overdosed and burned the body. If they have a good lawyer, they may be able to work something out.

swilkins1984

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2007, 04:27:33 PM »
If they can prove that Melissa James died on an apparent overdose, just like what Kelly Ryan told Mandy Polk after it happened when they were staying at her house, then they might not get life or the death sentence. It seems they got scared after she overdosed and burned the body. If they have a good lawyer, they may be able to work something out.

Melissa's hands were tied up. I doubt an overdose.  :-\

muscularny

• Getbig IV
  • Training
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2007, 04:53:05 PM »

she was high and started to break things in the house so they tied her up not that anyone will buy that but dont get shocked if a lawyer tries this

the truth is all BS aside (I have no clue about him or her) but why the heck would they tie her up and kill her? I mean WTF? I understand there are crazy people out there but what would be the story behind why they did this?

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2007, 04:54:51 PM »
No, that's very common with people on crystal meth.  My lawyer can prove it. ::)
Fucking legal system..haha
N

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2007, 05:07:44 PM »
Thanks for the Titus update.....I have sorta made friends with Craig over the years ...no close aquantances but more of someone that would nod his head at me and vice versa..H's sorta like TO  totaly missunderstood..with bad missfortunes...as for Kelly I never knew her...or liked her in a babe way...she just was never attractive to me...I was more of a Monica B  guy.
((-::