Author Topic: Blake Bowman interview after loss on TUF.  (Read 848 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Blake Bowman interview after loss on TUF.
« on: October 12, 2007, 10:27:12 AM »
He entered “The Ultimate Fighter: Team Hughes vs. Team Serra” as the most inexperienced fighter of the bunch — owning just a short resume of amateur fights and a few years of training. However, 25-year-old Blake Bowman knew he had the opportunity to receive world-class training and an invitation to test himself against some of the sport’s best young talent.

Although the Georgia native quickly emerged as the jokester of the group, the Team Hughes fighter says he took his time on the show very seriously.

Ultimately, he fell short of his goals, dropping a first-round TKO to Team Serra’s Richie Hightower in the season’s fourth episode. In addition to the loss, he suffered an ACL injury — “there weren’t even pieces of it showing up on the MRI” — and is still healing from the surgery.

But if he had the opportunity do it all over again, Bowman would. The experience and training, he says, were just that good.

MMAjunkie.com: First, can you tell me how you ended up on the show? Were you recruited or did you go through the application process?
Blake Bowman: I was visiting Cole Miller, Charles McCarthy and some friends down (in Florida) when the tryouts were going on. Charles said they were doing a season for 170 (pounders)… So, I sent in some video of my fights. Charles told (the producers) I’d do well well, especially in the house because of my personality. Contrary to what you hear, the producers don’t prod you. There’s no interaction. What happens on the show is what really happens. So, they knew I’d translate well to an environment like that. Anyway, after a medical and going to Las Vegas, they called and said I was one of the 16 to make it. Yeah, I’m a joker. But I told them I’d take it seriously. If I have an opportunity, I’m taking it seriously. I’m passionate, and I quit a job where I had quite a bit of seniority for the show.

MMAjunkie.com: When you got to the show, were you concerned that your castmates were far more advanced? (from reader “kakarot”)
Blake Bowman: I realized it, but I wasn’t incredibly concerned. During evaluations I did very well and even tapped out a lot of guys. When I fight, I know that no one can break me mentally. Heart makes up for a lot of fight. I’ve done commentating for shows and had seen some of the guys — Danzig, Sotiropoulos, Sanders, Arroyo. I know they were all very good fighters. If a guy knocks me out, he knocks me out. If he taps me out, that’s what happens… But no one intimidates me. So yeah, I was aware, but I wasn’t concerned (about their skill level).

MMAjunkie.com: You suffered a knee injury in your fight with Richie Hightower. Can you give us an update on the injury? (from reader “JD Hidlebaugh”)
Blake Bowman: It’s doing better. I had surgery eight weeks ago. I’m out of braces and off crutches. I had my ACL replaced. It was gone. They had to drill holes in the bone and stuff. The doctor actually had some comedic gold when telling me (about the injury). He starts off with all these positives. “This is fine. Amazingly, this is… You have no problems here.” And then he slips in, “The ACL didn’t show up on the MRI. It’s completely gone.” And then he starts to talk about something else. I go, “Wait. Slow down. Did you say my ACL is gone?” He tried to just slip it in there after all that positive stuff. But it was gone. There weren’t even pieces of it showing up on the MRI.

MMAjunkie.com: You didn’t have surgery until after the show finished taping, which means you continued to train through the injury. Was the injury more serious since you waited to have it fixed? (from reader “Jim”)
Blake Bowman: Yeah, which was stupid. But, you have to realize that Matt Hughes took us, in a matter of three or four days, we were Musketeers. We had this philosophy that we all made it to the finals or none of us did. We were close like that when it came to training, so I didn’t think much about the injury. Apparently, there was also a problem with the MIR company. We waited a few days, and (the results) didn’t come back. It was sent to the wrong place or something and it kept getting delayed, but anyway, we only had five days of training left before I knew how bad it was. I knew it was hurt, but I could walk on it. I just kept icing it to keep the swelling down… Whenever I had the surgery the doctor said I was lucky I didn’t worsen it. It should have been, but I was cautious enough, so it didn’t get much worse than it already was.

MMAjunkie.com: The injury resulted solely from the fight — when your leg buckled?
Blake Bowman: Yeah, that’s when it happened. I didn’t go into the fight with any type of injury as far as I know.

MMAjunkie.com: How much weight did you cut for you fight on the show? How much did you weigh at fight time? (from reader “Zack”)
Blake Bowman: I cut probably eight-and-a-half or nine pounds. I think I weighed 170 on the dot at weigh-ins. (Assistant coach) Marc Fiore is a mad genius when it comes to cutting weight… It’s almost creepy how good he is. By fight time, I was probably 178 or 179. I know I was over 200 in April. I wasn’t feeling the whole fighting thing at the time. In June, though, I was down to 177 or 178. I got so low that Matt Hughes even wanted me to put on weight when we first got to the show. He knew I could put on some muscle and still make the cut.

MMAjunkie.com: What was your biggest regret from the fight?
Blake Bowman: I would have tried to take him to the ground quicker. I knew that’s where I was going to be able to beat him. I guess I tried to keep it standing and make him get close so I had good position to take him down. It didn’t work. He was a tough guy. I caught him flush with a couple knees, but he’s a banger. He’s a tough guy.

MMAjunkie.com: A lot of viewers have been critical of Matt Hughes as a coach? What did you think?
Blake Bowman: As far as teaching ability, I didn’t get to see a terrible amount of it. He didn’t show us a whole lot. He worked on getting us mentally and physically tough. He wanted us to fight our fights. But he’s a very good motivator, and he’s very loyal. It was comforting knowing he was in your corner. Marc Fiore is a really good guy, too, but most people just know him as that bald guy who’s always with Matt Hughes, unfortunately. But he was an important part of it. We had a lot of heart-to-heart talks. He liked to keep everyone mentally focused. He checked up on us a lot.

MMAjunkie.com: With everything you’ve been through, if you had the choice to make again, would go on the show?
Blake Bowman: Yes, for sure. Knowing what I know, just from being on the show, I learned a lot. You get really great training for six weeks and get really healthy. Win or lose, you get great training being on the show.

MMAjunkie.com: Do you know if you’ll be competing at The Ultimate Fighter 6 Finale in December? Do you plan to continue your fighting career?
Blake Bowman: I don’t know — probably not. I definitely want to do the finale, but I just don’t know. As far as fighting, absolutely. I’ve made way too many sacrifices with the people in my life not to see this all the way through.