Author Topic: Mom Charged With Buying Pa. Teen Weapons  (Read 1203 times)

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
Mom Charged With Buying Pa. Teen Weapons
« on: October 12, 2007, 11:04:27 AM »
Yet another stunning example of good parenting.

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20071012/D8S7Q0F81.html

NORRISTOWN, Pa. (AP) - The mother of a 14-year-old who authorities say had a cache of guns, knives and explosive devices in his bedroom for a possible school attack was charged Friday with buying her son three weapons.

Michele Cossey, 46, bought her home-schooled son, Dillon, a .22-caliber handgun, a .22-caliber rifle and a 9 mm semiautomatic rifle, authorities said.

The teenager felt bullied and tried to recruit another boy for a possible attack at Plymouth Whitemarsh High School, authorities said. His mother was not accused of helping plot an attack, "but by virtue of her indulgence, she enabled him to get in this position," Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce L. Castor Jr. said.

"This is not the best parenting I've ever seen and she needs to be held accountable," Castor said.

Acting on a tip from a high school student and his father, police on Wednesday found the rifle, about 30 air-powered guns, swords, knives, a bomb-making book, videos of the 1999 Columbine attack in Colorado and violence-filled notebooks in the boy's bedroom, Castor said.

The mother bought the rifle, which had a laser scope, at a gun show on Sept. 23 and provided police with a receipt, investigators said in court papers. The teenager said the two .22-caliber weapons were stored at a friend's house.

She was charged with unlawful transfer of a firearm, possession of a firearm by a minor, corruption of a minor, endangering the welfare of a child and two counts of reckless endangerment, and later released on bail. She did not comment at the hearing.

The teen, who also had a brief court appearance Friday, was ordered held at a juvenile facility while he undergoes psychiatric evaluations. He was charged with solicitation to commit terror and other counts, but his lawyer, J. David Farrell, stressed that all but one of the weapons prosecutors put on display were pellet guns and air rifles.

Farrell noted it is not illegal in Pennsylvania for a minor to fire a weapon under adult supervision and said he didn't believe the students at Plymouth Whitemarsh were in any danger.

"They're showing 30 guns on a desk that appear to be handguns and saying this was a Columbine in the making," Farrell said. "That's simply not borne out by the facts."

Authorities said Friday that the boy's father also tried to buy his son a rifle in 2005, but was not allowed to because he was a felon, authorities said Friday.

Frank Cossey was sentenced to house arrest for lying about his criminal record when he went to buy a .22-caliber rifle for his son in December 2005, police said Friday. On his application he said he had never been convicted of a felony, but he had pleaded guilty in 1981 to manslaughter in a drunken driving death in Oklahoma and sent to prison, police said.

The teen previously attended middle school in the district but had been taught at home for more than a year after voluntarily leaving school, Castor said. Castor has said he does not believe and attack was imminent or would occur at all. He said Friday that the teen had a "disturbed mind."

"This was a smart kid that clearly believes he was picked on and was a victim," Castor said. "He had psychological issues and began to act out on those feelings."

The arrest came the same day a 14-year-old in Ohio opened fire at his Cleveland high school, wounding four before killing himself.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
Re: Mom Charged With Buying Pa. Teen Weapons
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 04:16:46 PM »
maybe he wanted them real bad?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 06:41:37 PM »
Please explain how a home-schooled kid gets 'bullied'.   ::) 

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 06:52:48 PM »

thats what i am trying to figure out.

bench

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 08:04:11 PM »

Excellent question, from the looks of him I'd bet he was picked on whenever he left the house.

I have another question, what kind of parent let's their 14 year old get that fat? It should be a crime for some people to procreate.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 01:02:55 AM »

Lots of home schooled kids spend time at traditional schools.  They do labs, participate in sports, etc.  Very common. 

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 05:15:55 PM »
Lots of home schooled kids spend time at traditional schools.  They do labs, participate in sports, etc.  Very common. 
that kid doesnt appear to do allot of sports ;D

bench

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 04:49:46 AM »
Excellent question, from the looks of him I'd bet he was picked on whenever he left the house.

I have another question, what kind of parent let's their 14 year old get that fat? It should be a crime for some people to procreate.

That's cause he wasn't home schooled, he was HOME FED....Dude looks like he was fattened up for the kill. Or that he spent his homework time playing video games.

In all seriousness, home schooled kids find it very hard to adjust when they must go to school with others....Home schooling kids produces some smart kids, but they don't know how to socialize with others. Add the fact that he is fat as hell, you get a recipe for disaster...

Great mom, she she win mother of the year, and "The Lack of Common Sense Award 2007".

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 11:57:41 AM »
that kid doesnt appear to do allot of sports ;D

bench

Cooking class?  :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 11:58:47 AM »
In all seriousness, home schooled kids find it very hard to adjust when they must go to school with others....Home schooling kids produces some smart kids, but they don't know how to socialize with others. Add the fact that he is fat as hell, you get a recipe for disaster...

I haven't seen this.  I know a lot of home schooled kids and all of them are well adjusted and smart. 

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 01:08:14 PM »
Cooking class?  :)
exactly,that kid should have expected people to make fun of him.and home schooled kids arent the most social people on the planet either.

bench

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 01:32:49 PM »
I haven't seen this.  I know a lot of home schooled kids and all of them are well adjusted and smart. 

I went to school with several. They were very smart, but lacked common sense and street smarts, and found it difficult to socialize. Lets put it this way, they were part of the "weird crowd".

And when you are home schooled thru out high school, you miss out on certain social events. Like Homecoming, Prom, football and basketball games, and various after school activities, these all help a person socialize more and integrate within society. Home school kids are typically awkward when it comes to these.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 08:23:48 PM »
I went to school with several. They were very smart, but lacked common sense and street smarts, and found it difficult to socialize. Lets put it this way, they were part of the "weird crowd".

And when you are home schooled thru out high school, you miss out on certain social events. Like Homecoming, Prom, football and basketball games, and various after school activities, these all help a person socialize more and integrate within society. Home school kids are typically awkward when it comes to these.   

I'm sure there are instances where home schooled kids turn out "weird."  The parents I know who have home schooled their kids (and continue to do so) keep their kids involved in school activities, sports, and even ROTC.  I think the kids who get involved in those kinds of activities generally turn out okay.  At least that's what I've observed. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 05:32:14 AM »
Actually, home school kids are easy targets.  Especially in the church by public schoolers.