Author Topic: Did Baby Jesus Go to Egypt???  (Read 5879 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: Did Baby Jesus Go to Egypt???
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2007, 10:10:56 PM »
Ah yes........The word of God.
You remind me of what judas iscariot would of been like. ozmo.
oh brother, another self righteous holy than thou bible thumper who thinks likening me to Judas will distract from the facts.

Likening me to Judas only shows just how ignorant you are.

go read up on Judas and post again later when you have something other than a childish blurb to post.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2007, 06:23:30 AM »
About the slaughter of the children, until there is real historical evidence for it, it will remain just the figment of the evangelist's imagination. Since it did not occur in reality, it cannot be considered from a historical perspective as the self-interest-motivated actions of a jealous king. You presume that Herod thought that there was an infant out there that really presented a threat to his reign.

And yes, you did engineer your story. It is speculation. Matthew doesn't say they went back to Nazareth after Jesus was born. It doesn't mention a time lag. You speculate and present a reasonable, but not entirely convincing theory.

As for your accusations of "blubbering" and "whining," flattery will get you nowhere with me ;)

columbusdude82,
Stay on topic.  Why do you change the subject when you run out of arguments?  Read your own thread's title "Did Baby Jesus Go to Egypt???"  MCWAY gave you an answer.  You say the Gospels contradict each other in this one case, but MCWAY just showed you that they do not, but that they rather compliment each other.

If you want to discuss the historicity of these events, then start another thread.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2007, 06:34:18 AM »
I don't have information either way, and neither do you. For all we know, Matthew may have made up the whole "flight to Egypt" story. No other gospel mentions it.
Columbusdude, would another gospel mentioning it make a difference to you?
R

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2007, 06:43:35 AM »
Stella, if another gospel mentions it, that would make it more likely that the story about a trip to Egypt was more widespread among the early Christians, and not just the figment of one evangelist's imagination.

loco, I like McWay's theory, but it involves superimposing verses on one another. Why didn't Matthew just tell it like it is? Why couldn't Matthew say "when Jesus was born, they went from Bethlehem to Jerusalem, then to Nazareth. Two years later, they were in Bethlehem en route to Jerusalem, and the wise men came..."

Surely, if the Holy Spirit were "guiding" the gospel writer, he could have filled him in on the details, instead of leaving it to posterity to put together a jigsaw puzzle.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2007, 03:26:46 AM »
I don't have information either way, and neither do you. For all we know, Matthew may have made up the whole "flight to Egypt" story. No other gospel mentions it.

That's your rationale for thinking that Matthew may have made up the flight to Egypt? What would be his motivation for doing such?

If you don't have the information, then you can't assume that Matthew fabricated Herod's decree and/or the flight to Egypt.

Stella, if another gospel mentions it, that would make it more likely that the story about a trip to Egypt was more widespread among the early Christians, and not just the figment of one evangelist's imagination.

loco, I like McWay's theory, but it involves superimposing verses on one another. Why didn't Matthew just tell it like it is? Why couldn't Matthew say "when Jesus was born, they went from Bethlehem to Jerusalem, then to Nazareth. Two years later, they were in Bethlehem en route to Jerusalem, and the wise men came..."

So, your complaint is that Matthew didn't give the account the way you wanted. That hardly qualifies as making the account (particularly the flight to Egypt, as the result of Herod's decree) a "figment of someone the writer's imagination". As long as the information is accurate, Matthew can give as much (or as little) detail, as he deems necessary to make his point.

Again, your claim was that Matthew and Luke contradict each other, because you assumed that the "itineraries" happened when Jesus was the same age. That is not the case, as has been shown.

Silence is NOT a contradiction. Luke is silent on the flight to Egypt; Matthew is silent on the trip to the temple. However, as it was Levitical law that a newborn baby be taken to the temple once the mother's purification is done (at least six weeks), one can easily assume in Jewish culture that such happened.

Plus, it appears that Luke mentions the trip is to emphasize that Jesus is the Messiah, based on the words of the high priest, Simeon.

Surely, if the Holy Spirit were "guiding" the gospel writer, he could have filled him in on the details, instead of leaving it to posterity to put together a jigsaw puzzle.

And this rule that mandates that the accounts of Luke and Matthew be identical would be.........

If another gospel mentioned Herod's edict, all Biblical skeptics would do is claim that the authors of the other Gospels copied it from one particular Gospel (as they already do, with the information that all four Gospels share, claiming that the others copied it from Mark).

The Gospels complement one another, with each one giving unique information that the others do not. That's to be expected from four different authors.I've yet to see, past or present, four people give the exact same details about a period of history or event.

nzhardgain

• Getbig II
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2007, 03:28:50 PM »
oh brother, another self righteous holy than thou bible thumper who thinks likening me to Judas will distract from the facts.

Likening me to Judas only shows just how ignorant you are.

go read up on Judas and post again later when you have something other than a childish blurb to post.

you are a traitor.i have read enough of your posts to draw comparisions.Hey im a sinner i sin all the time .But im not a traitor.
And make your mind up fool.Dissing Gods Word when it suits you,yet telling me to go read it.Which side are you on?To whom do you belong?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2007, 03:58:41 PM »
you are a traitor.i have read enough of your posts to draw comparisions.Hey im a sinner i sin all the time .But im not a traitor.
And make your mind up fool.Dissing Gods Word when it suits you,yet telling me to go read it.Which side are you on?To whom do you belong?

w/e dude,  point is if you are going to make a comparison at the very least know a little bit about what you are comparing someone too, otherwise as you have well demonstrated, you'll end up making a complete fool of yourself.

so once again, little man, go read about Judas so you can elaborate about a comparison without just making a hallow accusation.

I bet you don't even know what traitor means.

And further more, one THING is for sure, the BIBLE is NOT the 100% word of God, it is NOT a fact, and only assumed as such based on a person's BELIEF.

So if all you can do is sling crap and accusations with out the BALLS or intelligence to back them up....i suggest you STFU.

nzhardgain

• Getbig II
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2007, 11:26:12 PM »
w/e dude,  point is if you are going to make a comparison at the very least know a little bit about what you are comparing someone too, otherwise as you have well demonstrated, you'll end up making a complete fool of yourself.

so once again, little man, go read about Judas so you can elaborate about a comparison without just making a hallow accusation.

I bet you don't even know what traitor means.

And further more, one THING is for sure, the BIBLE is NOT the 100% word of God, it is NOT a fact, and only assumed as such based on a person's BELIEF.

So if all you can do is sling crap and accusations with out the BALLS or intelligence to back them up....i suggest you STFU.

That proves who you represent.Thanks for coming.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2007, 08:57:26 AM »
That proves who you represent.Thanks for coming.

Guess you got nothing?   ::)

nzhardgain

• Getbig II
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2007, 12:54:25 AM »
Guess you got nothing?   ::)

Whats your gods name?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2007, 08:00:54 AM »
Whats your gods name?

Don't bother asking questions until you back up your accusation you sinner.  ;D ;)   

nzhardgain

• Getbig II
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2007, 05:57:17 PM »
You are a sinner too.

Let me ask you again.

What is your gods name?

You know where im leading with this,hence your fear.