Author Topic: Ibragimov-Holyfield result *Spoiler*  (Read 671 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Ibragimov-Holyfield result *Spoiler*
« on: October 15, 2007, 06:59:46 AM »
 WBO heavyweight champion Sultan Ibragimov (22-0-1, 17 KOs) retained his title Saturday night at the Khodynka Ice Palace in Moscow, Russia with a disciplined, if not thrilling, 12 round unanimous decision over four-time heavyweight champ Evander Holyfield (42-9-2, 27 KOs).

The 32-year-old Ibragimov proved just too sharp, and quick for the 44 year-old future Hall-of-Famer, who wasn't able to impose his physical will in what was a tactical contest.

A twelfth-round right hand gave Holyfield a glimmer of hope to pull off what would have been a come-from-behind knockout, but it proved too little, too late, in the 118-110, 117-111, 117-111 Ibragimov unanimous decision.

After the fight Holyfield told an international media conference call that, despite the setback, he has no retirement plan in the works.

"The fight went to a decision and Ibragimov won the decision and I just have to get back in line and it doesn't mean that it's over," Holyfield said.

"Did I do so bad that it's not worth it for me to try (again)?"

According to Holyfield, Ibragimov's ability to move well in the ring was a big factor in the outcome.

"I didn't throw enough combinations as my corner wanted me to but he [Ibragimov] was quick in the sense that I didn't feel comfortable in throwing the combinations."

Z