Author Topic: Vinny Testaverde plays QB for Carolina and wins.  (Read 1582 times)

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
Vinny Testaverde plays QB for Carolina and wins.
« on: October 15, 2007, 01:51:12 PM »
What a story, this guy was watching television and playing golf less than a week ago and now he's got a win under his belt. Amazing.

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view.bg?articleid=1038156

Vinny Testaverde hit Steve Smith for a 65-yard touchdown pass, DeAngelo Williams ran for 121 yards and a touchdown and the Carolina Panthers defeated the Arizona Cardinals, 25-10, yesterday in Glendale, Ariz.

The 43-year-old Testaverde, starting because Jake Delhomme and David Carr suffered injuries, threw a touchdown pass for the 21st straight season, extending his own NFL record.

Williams helped ice the game with a late 75-yard run, and he scored on a 13-yarder for the Panthers (4-2), who are 4-0 on the road.

John Kasay kicked four field goals for Carolina.

Chargers 28, Raiders 14 - LaDainian Tomlinson matched his career-high with four touchdowns, rushing for 198 yards on 24 carries and leading host San Diego to its eighth straight win over Oakland.

Tomlinson scored on runs of 3, 27, 13 and 41 yards to vault past John Riggins for fifth on the all-time rushing touchdowns list with 106.

The defending AFC West champion Chargers pulled into a tie atop the division with Kansas City.

Saints 28, Seahawks 17 - Reggie Bush gained 141 yards, Drew Brees threw for 246 and receiver David Patten had eight catches for 113 yards as visiting New Orleans beat Seattle for its first win.

The Saints scored more than 14 points for the first time this year, while the Seahawks suffered through their second straight pathetic effort - this coming a week after a 21-0 loss at Pittsburgh.

Matt Hasselbeck threw for 362 yards, his most since December 2004, for Seattle.

Bucs 13, Titans 10 - Matt Bryant’s 43-yard field goal with 11 seconds remaining in Tampa gave Tampa Bay the win against Tennessee, which lost starting QB Vince Young to a leg injury in the third quarter. He is day to day.

Jeff Garcia threw a 69-yard touchdown pass to Joey Galloway less than five minutes after Young left the game. Garcia then led the Bucs on the winning drive after the Titans tied the score on LenDale White’s 2-yard run with 1:17 left.

Tampa Bay (4-2) has already matched its victory total for last season.

Chiefs 27, Bengals 20 - Tony Gonzalez erased the NFL record for touchdown catches by a tight end and host Kansas City rolled up an impressive - for it - 354 total yards against reeling Cincinnati.

Gonzalez, the eight-time Pro Bowler, caught Damon Huard’s 3-yard touchdown pass in the first quarter and broke Shannon Sharpe’s NFL record of 62 touchdown catches for tight ends. Then Gonzalez snared a 26-yard scoring pass from Huard in the fourth period and wound up with 102 yards receiving.

Larry Johnson, who had not scored a touchdown after sitting out all of training camp, got 119 yards on 31 carries.

Ravens 22, Rams 3 - Baltimore forced Gus Frerotte into six turnovers, including a career-high five interceptions, and Matt Stover kicked five field goals against visiting St. Louis.

Willis McGahee had a 6-yard touchdown run for the Ravens, who built a 13-0 lead at halftime and coasted to their first win by more than seven points this year.

Jaguars 37, Texans 17 - David Garrard threw two TD passes, Maurice Jones-Drew had 260 all-purpose yards and host Jacksonville thumped Houston for its fourth consecutive win.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
Re: Vinny Testaverde plays QB for Carolina and wins.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 02:31:03 PM »
Testaverde deserves his props so don't get me wrong about what I'm going to say.  When I hear that he is the oldest QB to win a game, big deal.  The "QB win" stat has always been a fake stat.  IMO it's not like a pitcher in baseball.  The "QB Win" stat has been used historically to justify statistically poor QBs (e.g. Trent Dilfer, Vince Young, Mike Vick, etc.) and especially in the college ranks it has created some very bad Heisman winners who were busts as pros (Gino Torretta-1992, Chris Weinke- 2000, Eric Crouch- 2001 etc).

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 02:43:47 PM »
You forgot Andre Ware on that list.

Testaverde does deserve major props for going out there with a limited knowledge of the offense and kicking ass.

He looked very slim too then he has in the past. The guy always stayed in shape in case an NFL team came calling.

Good for him and I wish him luck for the rest of the year.

body88

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 02:49:45 PM »
Good for Vinny!

Ehhh yooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooo

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 03:37:45 PM »

they talked about him on CBS, Shannon said Vinny was notorious for his leg strength in the weightroom. He said Vinny believed that leg stength had more to do with arm strength as you get older. Both Esiason and Marino agreed.

CC973

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 04:52:48 PM »
The jets could use a qb like Vinny right now because Pennington really sucks.

marinesgt

• Getbig III
  • Talk again..I'll snatch the life from your body...
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 05:01:40 PM »
The Jets could use Akili Smith right now cuz they are sucking bad... ;D then again so could the Dolphins..
FIYAAAH!

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
The Jets could use Akili Smith right now cuz they are sucking bad... ;D then again so could the Dolphins..

but the Dolphins can get in the endzone

CC973

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 11:20:17 PM »
I wonder if the dolphins are thinking twice about passing up on Brady Quinn yet. I know it was only the pre season when he looked impressive but still he will be a good qb when he gets the

chance to start. I'd bet they would rather have Quinn out there right now instead of Cleo Lemon.lol

Ted Ginn Jr.?  Has the guy done anything yet this year to be worthy of his being drafted so early?

body88

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 06:11:37 AM »
The jets could use a qb like Vinny right now because Pennington really sucks.

They have a good qb, Kellen Clemens. Mangini is just to stubburn to make the switch. You cant have it both ways when  you are building a team. You either concede make the switch and build, or you go with the vet and try to win when you add pieces. Ob thats not working for the jets.

Jets had a cake walk schedule last year. Now they are being exposed. Mangini has been outcoached in every single game he has been in.

Mangini is trying to run a 3/4 with players suited for a 4/3. The jets need a huge nose tackle to start if they want to run a three four. They also need to trade Vilma as he is way to small to be a lb in the 3/4. However he would be awesome in the 4/3. Vilma's problem in the 3/4 is that he can be run over by backs no problem. The jets have nice offensive weapons. There problem is they have no offensive or defensive line. Pretty funny since that is the most important part of a three four defense.

Imo Tanny and Mangini are to blame for the jets woes. They ignored all there biggest weakness this offseason and snubbed there nose at Kendall when he wanted a extra mill. Instead they traded there entire draft for a corner and a lb. Revis is a nice player, but the picks should have went into offensive and defensive line players IMO.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 12:03:29 PM »
I wonder if the dolphins are thinking twice about passing up on Brady Quinn yet. I know it was only the pre season when he looked impressive but still he will be a good qb when he gets the

chance to start. I'd bet they would rather have Quinn out there right now instead of Cleo Lemon.lol

Ted Ginn Jr.?  Has the guy done anything yet this year to be worthy of his being drafted so early?

i knew it would be a mistake to trade Wes Welker and to take Ginn Jr. they really should give beck a chance since he was their 2nd rd. pick

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 12:26:51 PM »

This just in, the Chargers just got Chris Chambers from the Dolphins. Not a bad deal for the Chargers, they needed another wideout.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 03:50:35 PM »
The Chargers really improved themselves at the WR position. Chambers is pretty decent.

body88

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 04:33:39 PM »
The Chargers really improved themselves at the WR position. Chambers is pretty decent.

Nice move for them. Chambers can prevent teams from stacking the box. Now they need a secondary.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 05:52:51 PM »

Tampa also got RB Michael Bennet from KC, that is a good improvement.