Author Topic: Today In History  (Read 689 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Today In History
« on: October 15, 2007, 02:08:45 PM »
Today in History

• 1917, Mata Hari, a Dutch dancer who had spied for the Germans, was executed by a French firing squad outside Paris
  • 1945, the former premier of Vichy France, Pierre Laval, was executed
  • 1946, Nazi war criminal Hermann Goering poisoned himself hours before he was to have been executed
  • 1966, President Johnson signed a bill creating the Department of Transportation
  • 1976, in the first debate of its kind between vice-presidential nominees, Democrat Walter F. Mondale and Republican Bob Dole faced
    off in Houston.
  • 1990, Soviet President Mikhail S. Gorbachev was named the recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize
  • 1991, after  facing sexual harassment allegations by Anita Hill, the Senate confirmed the nomination of Clarence Thomas to the
    Supreme Court, 52-48
  • 2002, Iraqis turned out for a national referendum on whether Saddam Hussein should remain their president for another seven
    years; Saddam won with a reported 100 percent of the votes cast

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Today In History
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 02:19:15 PM »
Today in History

[
    • 1991, after  facing sexual harassment allegations by Anita Hill, the Senate confirmed the nomination of Clarence Thomas to the
      Supreme Court, 52-48
    • 2002, Iraqis turned out for a national referendum on whether Saddam Hussein should remain their president for another seven
      years; Saddam won with a reported 100 percent of the votes cast
:o  Saddam must have run a very persuasive campaign.  ::)

Geeze.  I remember Anita Hill testi-lying like it was yesterday.   :)  I'm getting old . . . .