Author Topic: Thoughts on joining the marines?  (Read 3235 times)

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
Thoughts on joining the marines?
« on: October 16, 2007, 11:34:15 AM »
If you have, would you do it again? If you haven't why not? If you were contemplating joining, would you do reserves or active duty? Pluses/negatives?

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
Re: Thoughts on joining the marines?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 11:57:37 AM »

one of my biggest regrets was not joining a branch of service. i was commited to joining the Marines in my senior year of highschool, but my parents and grandparents talked me out of it being that i was the only child.
 i even heavily reconsidered joining again when i was in my early-mid twenties after 9/11. the only thing that stopped me was knowing my grandmother would probably pass away without me being there, she was very sick and did pass shortly there after.
 you have to get credit to the Marines, they know they will be on the front line.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 12:58:22 PM »
  one of my biggest regrets was not joining a branch of service. i was commited to joining the Marines in my senior year of highschool, but my parents and grandparents talked me out of it being that i was the only child.
 i even heavily reconsidered joining again when i was in my early-mid twenties after 9/11. the only thing that stopped me was knowing my grandmother would probably pass away without me being there, she was very sick and did pass shortly there after.
 you have to get credit to the Marines, they know they will be on the front line.

Thank them, just watch Vietnam First kill and you can see first hand what would have been in store for you... surviving the war is only the first battle coming home and dealing with all the fucked up people trying to blame you for anything and everything is the second and the third is you fighting with your guilt all your life wishing you could go back killing more people.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 02:19:56 PM »
First off....I wish i was still in the Marines at times. A simple Sgt with a squad doing my thing. I've been in 15 years. Five in the Marines and the rest in the Army. The VAST majority of people who came home from Vietnam did very well. The VAST majority of folks who came home from WW2 did very very well. Look at how this country has become an economic power. Only the Liberal left will blame u for what u did, many only exist in academia so u'll be fine. No matter what u do, for the rest of your life, serving as a Marine, in combat, will link u to this country and its history in a way that no one who hasn't served, can ever understand.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 04:06:36 PM »
First off....I wish i was still in the Marines at times. A simple Sgt with a squad doing my thing. I've been in 15 years. Five in the Marines and the rest in the Army. The VAST majority of people who came home from Vietnam did very well. The VAST majority of folks who came home from WW2 did very very well. Look at how this country has become an economic power. Only the Liberal left will blame u for what u did, many only exist in academia so u'll be fine. No matter what u do, for the rest of your life, serving as a Marine, in combat, will link u to this country and its history in a way that no one who hasn't served, can ever understand.

I agree.  I know many former Marines.  All good men.  One of my employees is a former Marine.  Standup guy.  Like Headhunter said, it will give you a whole new outlook on life.  I think you'll get that regardless of which branch you serve in. 

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 04:33:39 PM »

If I were to join, what's the difference really between reserve and active duty? MY boss is a captain, I have asked him some questions and he's all for my joining. I basically am at a point where I need a career, would like to go to school and need some money. I really like the military, am a pro military guy and it would benefit me financially to go serve in iraq for 6 months or whatever come back and get started in school/business. I work at a max muscle and we are probably going to open a couple more franchises, the money I would make in the marines I could use to open another store with a couple guys while I go to school.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 04:40:05 PM »
If I were to join, what's the difference really between reserve and active duty? MY boss is a captain, I have asked him some questions and he's all for my joining. I basically am at a point where I need a career, would like to go to school and need some money. I really like the military, am a pro military guy and it would benefit me financially to go serve in iraq for 6 months or whatever come back and get started in school/business. I work at a max muscle and we are probably going to open a couple more franchises, the money I would make in the marines I could use to open another store with a couple guys while I go to school.

Main difference is one is a full-time job, while the reserves would be one weekend a month, two weeks a summer.  There is always the chance you can get activated while in the reserves, which has happened a lot since 02, but it's a great part-time job IMO.  You can always decide to go active.  Great educational benefits.  PX and Commissary privileges.  I think you can take HOPs too (free transportation on military planes)? 

If you're going to join while you're in school then I'd consider ROTC, so you can become an officer. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 06:10:25 PM »
If i were just getting out of high school and had no option to go to a good school i'd go into the Marines.  It would be good for me at that age.

If i had the option to go to the Air force Academy. i'd choose that over the other academies.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 12:46:45 AM »
I respect your guy's opinions I really do. I am 27, nearing the cutoff age if I am to enlist I need to do so soon. I talked to a recruiter and have been accepted already, just trying to make sure it's the best choice for me.

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 02:14:39 AM »
I'm in the process of applying for the British Royal Marines. Completed the Naval aptitude test, I just have the small matter of passing PRMC in March.

Then hopefully I will start the Commando course in June/July time.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 06:00:44 AM »
The military has been a great option for me personally. I am active duty Air Force and honestly wouldn't want to be in another branch. IF I had to choose though I would choose Marines. If you want to go to school, the Air Force pays 100% tuition up to $4,500 a year. I think the marines only pay 75% (that is what a guy in my current class said). The Air Force also has career fields that are more transferable into the "real" world, and offers more time for completing classes even while deployed. On an Air Force installation in Iraq/Afghanistan, you will (depending on career field of choice) have daily access to computers/education centers to complete classes even though mostly online. The AF has also recently worked a deal with numerous institutions across the US that will accept military training as credits towards a bachelors degree. Up to this point they had only been accepted towards associate degrees.

Look I'm not a recruiter so I don't get anything out of you choosing the AF. But I think most people would agree with me that the AF provides better quality of life, better facilities, better equipment etc. If you have further questions feel free to PM me.

Oh and even when Bush leaves...we are still going to deploy so it won't help to wait
gotta love life

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 06:41:33 AM »
It depends on what ur plan is. If ur going to stay in, then maybe an AF job wouyld be good. I had AF troops in Afghanistan and I loved em. Great folks. If ur doing the Patriotism thing, then do ur 3 years in the Marines and get out. As far as Mons Venus comment, this war is not going away anytime soon....no matter who's in office. It doesn't work like that. As a Marine, u will get deployed more often for smaller operations. The Marines proposed a plan where they would take over all operation in Afghanistan while the Army would just do Iraq, not sure if that will fly but its on the board. All MM's comments about the AF are very true. But the EGA and uniform still looks better.  ;D
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 06:43:14 AM »
Hey Purple, if u get ur green beret u better post pics. Have fun at the course. Per Mare Per Terram
L

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 07:27:30 AM »
Hey Purple, if u get ur green beret u better post pics. Have fun at the course. Per Mare Per Terram

Cheers mate!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 07:38:56 AM »
I saw ur guys in Afganistan, but my real experience came in the US Marines. We were in Norway in 95'. They were the op force. We rolled into a small Norwegian village and a platoon of ur boys came around the corner. We fired, u fired and it came down to a I shot u first argument. That of course devolved into a huge fist fight. Our rugby captain(college) poped a Brit major in the face and got his Beret. In any event, u bastards came in under a snow storm and killed us all a few days later. Great fun. 
L

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 07:39:17 AM »
So the AMC account has been retired in favour of Purple Aki? :-*
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 07:53:40 AM »

Although I say I would NOT join the military again, my experiences there did play a role in shaping who I am and also gave me first-hand knowledge of the U.S. military 'system'. 

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 07:59:46 AM »
It depends on what ur plan is. If ur going to stay in, then maybe an AF job wouyld be good. I had AF troops in Afghanistan and I loved em. Great folks. If ur doing the Patriotism thing, then do ur 3 years in the Marines and get out. As far as Mons Venus comment, this war is not going away anytime soon....no matter who's in office. It doesn't work like that. As a Marine, u will get deployed more often for smaller operations. The Marines proposed a plan where they would take over all operation in Afghanistan while the Army would just do Iraq, not sure if that will fly but its on the board. All MM's comments about the AF are very true. But the EGA and uniform still looks better.  ;D

Yeah our new utility uniform looks like hell, Iam hanging onto the BDUs until 2011 when the ABU is mandatory. We are going to a new dress jacket though...
gotta love life

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 08:45:21 AM »
I wasn't even going to go there... :P
L