Author Topic: 2007 Rugby World Cup ... and the New Zealand Haka! :)  (Read 23374 times)

Mr. Zimbabwe

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
2007 Rugby World Cup ... and the New Zealand Haka! :)
« on: October 17, 2007, 12:42:26 PM »
I hope the mods (Hedgehog?)don't move this to the general board?  I think you guys will appreciate this being here?

We are in the final stages of the 2007 Rugby World Cup in Paris.  It has always saddened me that you Americans never embraced rugby .... it's such a fast, exciting, physical game!  It was always my true love!  (I had a rugby scholarship at college).

One of the true joys of the game is the New Zealand "Haka" (New Zealand nick-named the All Blacks for their all black strip).  The Haka is a traditional Maori Warrior war dance that literally means that they are ready to die in battle. It was first performed by the New Zealand team in 1884!  Usually a Maori player in the team will always lead.

Here is a cool TV ad that combines the Maori warrior with scenes from the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rulZOE8bDa8&mode=related&search=

Grant.

JasonH

• Getbig V
Re: 2007 Rugby World Cup ... and the New Zealand Haka! :)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 12:43:57 PM »
England are gonna get destroyed on Saturday.

Mr. Zimbabwe

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 12:55:22 PM »
England are gonna get destroyed on Saturday.

Many would agree.  But they did beat highly-favored Australia ... and then beat France (who had knocked out number 1 ranked New Zealand) .... so with Wilkinson back at fly-half they are obviously a different team?

Just for the record I obviously hope South Africa win.  I played for Western Province U/21 when I was at college.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 12:57:12 PM »
Screw rugby.   I played one game and got banned for being too rough.  I thoght it was a rough sport but for some reason punching someone in the face isn't allowed.  Pansies.

It was a shocker that the kiwis lost.  They were killing their competition.  SA won't win it all.  England probably will repeat.

Mr. Zimbabwe

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 01:02:16 PM »
Screw rugby.   I played one game and got banned for being too rough.  I thoght it was a rough sport but for some reason punching someone in the face isn't allowed.  Pansies.

Where did you play MOS?  The problem is you were probably caught punching someone? Can't let the ref see?  Have to do it deep inside a maul or ruck?  :)

It was a shocker that the kiwis lost.  They were killing their competition.  SA won't win it all.  England probably will repeat.

The Kiwi's (All Blacks) losing was a shock all right!!!   But do you still think England can win it after losing to South Africa 36-0 in the opening rounds?

Honest question.

Brian_Bullman

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • By Effort Acheive
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 01:08:28 PM »
Jonny Wilkinson is the man that dictates the game for England, they are useless without him as has been seen in their performances since the last World Cup, and since his return.

England could come into this game, with a point to prove after loosing so poorly to SA a few weeks back, but it seems to me that SA is the on form team.

However this world cup has been full of surprises, the pumas beating the French, England going down 35-0 to SA, Ireland going out at the group stages, so who knows, Its gonna be a great game!!!

Mr. Zimbabwe

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 01:28:58 PM »
For those still not familar with the "Haka" I think you'll enjoy these clips:

Here is Carlos Spensor leading New Zealand against Tonga (who reply with their own Islander version of the Haka).  90 000 in the stands... and they go wild!  Turn the volume up!  Can you Americans compare to this frenzy in any of your sports?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_BCKZqDLUM

This one from against Australia... look at the Aussie players expressions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFxY19K3D_Y&mode=related&search=

Tana Umaga (a true Maori) leads the Haka... watch his intensity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpNfaVocfV8&mode=related&search=

This one from last week against France.  The French captain is the caveman looking giant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcl_PuQi3V4&mode=related&search=

Rampage

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 03:29:48 PM »
Grant ??

You from SA Bro ??

whoa , my brotherrr !  ;D Hoe gaan dit broer ?

scubaculture

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 03:30:52 PM »
Haha the slight your throat haka causes such an uproar, I still think the traditional one is the best ever though

What year were you with WP Grant? I played U21's for the Lions for 2 years

I played one game and got banned for being too rough. 

You got banned for dirty play, playing dirty is not "rough". But yeah if you do it dont get caught  :D

No way Eng will beat the boks in the final, all props to them though, to come back from their poor pool games is very impressive

whateva

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 03:59:11 PM »
The PUMAS singing their national anthem was priceless,very intense and emotional  :o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEfzYK6IY6c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbk3ZKdmP6E&mode=related&search=

Mr. Zimbabwe

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 04:10:41 PM »
Grant ??

You from SA Bro ??

whoa , my brotherrr !  ;D Hoe gaan dit broer ?

Ya Boet, dis baie goed my ou seuntjie!  Hoe gaan dit met jou?

Born and raised in Bulawayo... played for Matabeleland schools ... but did all my University at Cape Town.

Mr. Zimbabwe

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 04:20:15 PM »
Haha, the slice your throat haka causes such an uproar, I still think the traditional one is the best ever though.

What year were you with WP Grant? I played U21's for the Lions for 2 years

I played U21 B mostly ...but a few games on the wing for the U21 A with the legendry Chester Williams playing on our other wing... I'm thinking it was early to mid 90's.  Chester taught me so much.....  he was truly talented.  Then I moved to Natal to try my luck in rugby after I graduated from UCT.

I'll try post some news cuttings on it.

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 06:35:35 PM »
Grant Rugby League is much more exciting. It's not played all over the world though, mainly Australia and England.

Some Rugby nations do play the game well and it is exciting but the constant milking of penalties/penalties for anything, and then drop goals or penalty kicks/lack of tries gets very very boring. This is how Australia plays which is why a lot of people here can't stand it.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 07:02:59 PM »
South Africa Rugby Team (I'm not kidding)   :D

Grant, are we seeing your glutes there?
a

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 07:04:48 PM »
Huge back potential and massive calves on those lot.

Stu

• Getbig IV
  • Faggotry˛
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 08:29:56 PM »
Ive seen this before and i have always wondered, why are new zealand aloud to do all that stupid dancing shit before games, why are the opposition "forced" to watch as i would think it gives an immediate psychological advantage to new zealand.......ban that shit!

PS is that french guy famous only for having long hair and a long beard?...seriously if he had normal hair and was clean shaven i would imagine he would get a lot less attention than he does now

Mr Gethin

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 09:18:04 PM »
Jonny Wilkinson is the man that dictates the game for England, they are useless without him as has been seen in their performances since the last World Cup, and since his return.

England could come into this game, with a point to prove after loosing so poorly to SA a few weeks back, but it seems to me that SA is the on form team.

However this world cup has been full of surprises, the pumas beating the French, England going down 35-0 to SA, Ireland going out at the group stages, so who knows, Its gonna be a great game!!!

Funny how a subject like this pulls us out of the woodwork hey Brian? Nobody would ever guess we our real names are Paddy and Taff.

You are soo right! It was obvious that the whole team changed when little Johnny kicked his big ball around the field during the Australia game. The funny thing about it was, he didnt even play that good during the game.

Where you going to watch the final?

PS Did you follow up on the Solicitor?
Deputy Editor

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 11:07:33 PM »
Pretty INTENSE Clips, Grant ... the Frenchman doesn't look the SLIGHTEST bit scared though ... as a matter of fact, he looks FUCKING NUTS !

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 11:14:11 PM »
I hope the mods (Hedgehog?)don't move this to the general board?  I think you guys will appreciate this being here?

We are in the final stages of the 2007 Rugby World Cup in Paris.  It has always saddened me that you Americans never embraced rugby .... it's such a fast, exciting, physical game!  It was always my true love!  (I had a rugby scholarship at college).

One of the true joys of the game is the New Zealand "Haka" (New Zealand nick-named the All Blacks for their all black strip).  The Haka is a traditional Maori Warrior war dance that literally means that they are ready to die in battle. It was first performed by the New Zealand team in 1884!  Usually a Maori player in the team will always lead.

Here is a cool TV ad that combines the Maori warrior with scenes from the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rulZOE8bDa8&mode=related&search=

Grant.

I love you Grant  :-*

Everytime I see the Haka my dick grows an inch!!! What a spectacle!! Its a shame the All Blacks are a bunch of chokers  :(
P

davidbb2

• Getbig I
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2007, 12:19:35 AM »
Grant Rugby League is much more exciting. It's not played all over the world though, mainly Australia and England.

Some Rugby nations do play the game well and it is exciting but the constant milking of penalties/penalties for anything, and then drop goals or penalty kicks/lack of tries gets very very boring. This is how Australia plays which is why a lot of people here can't stand it.

Amen!, League owns Union in every way.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 12:21:21 AM »
Amen!, League owns Union in every way.

League is simply poor mans union... Rugby has far greater athletes.... I would even say American Football is better than League. Thats how shit league is.
P

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Yes. Your retarted.
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 12:55:28 AM »
League is simply poor mans union... Rugby has far greater athletes.... I would even say American Football is better than League. Thats how shit league is.

Whatever it is it is more consistent at delivering "sport" as opposed to union which all too often descends into exploitation of the flawed rules.

I'm sure you can see a good game of any sport, its just unfortunately quite rare with union.

Perhaps the nail in the coffin for union is that players and experts alike are left completely clueless as to many of the rulings.  It needs to be cleaned up.  The concept of competition is far too fragile in union.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2007, 01:16:25 AM »
Whatever it is it is more consistent at delivering "sport" as opposed to union which all too often descends into exploitation of the flawed rules.

I'm sure you can see a good game of any sport, its just unfortunately quite rare with union.

Perhaps the nail in the coffin for union is that players and experts alike are left completely clueless as to many of the rulings.  It needs to be cleaned up.  The concept of competition is far too fragile in union.

I think that is the beauty of union. It is all about adapting to interpretation. It is not a robot sport, players are required to use the top 2 inches.... Something players in league seem to refrain from doing.

P

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2007, 02:17:59 AM »
I love watching a good game of Rugby, but i am definietly a League man. Union guys go on about League being too stop start, but look at union, way too many rules, every minute there is a penalty. And i do feel that League can be more exciting than union. Union is boring as shit when the 2 fullbacks just kick the ball back and forth for 5 minutes.

But different games, Union is more team strength as opposed to League which is more geared towards individual strength. Both awesome games though, and they both rape American football.
No doubt about it...

Riley

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2007, 02:38:11 AM »
I love watching a good game of Rugby, but i am definietly a League man. Union guys go on about League being too stop start, but look at union, way too many rules, every minute there is a penalty. And i do feel that League can be more exciting than union. Union is boring as shit when the 2 fullbacks just kick the ball back and forth for 5 minutes.

But different games, Union is more team strength as opposed to League which is more geared towards individual strength. Both awesome games though, and they both rape American football.

I agree, watching union is just not as exciting as it used to be teams these days sides just play to go get penalties instead of tries to win games.