Author Topic: 2007 Rugby World Cup ... and the New Zealand Haka! :)  (Read 23419 times)

bb101

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
Re: 2007 Rugby World Cup ... and the New Zealand Haka! :)
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2007, 01:40:05 AM »
So why are some of the best Union backs former league players, and why can't union players ever make an impact in league? League players are better athletes, the game is almost constant movement as opposed to Unions stop-start affair, and don't start me on NFL, Oxygen between plays is not a sign you are a great athlete.

youd be quiet suprised that alot of the league backs actually came from playing schoolboy rugby, they chose league because of the money!

and the comment made about chabal....maybe u should do ur research also...hes treated like a god in france for the simple reason he is renowned for his hard-hitting and aggressive style of play

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2007, 03:14:04 AM »
Actually if Chabal didn't have the hair and the beard he wouldn't get as much attention because his impact at international rugby hasn't been that great especially when you compare his international form to the way he plays in the Guinness Premiership and the Heineken Cup.  In those competitions he dominates and controls matches, at international level he is just as likely to knock on than put in a big hit. Vastly overrated player at international level, which is why he isn't an automatic first choice in the French team, but amazing club player.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2007, 03:17:43 AM »
Actually if Chabal didn't have the hair and the beard he wouldn't get as much attention because his impact at international rugby hasn't been that great especially when you compare his international form to the way he plays in the Guinness Premiership and the Heineken Cup.  In those competitions he dominates and controls matches, at international level he is just as likely to knock on than put in a big hit. Vastly overrated player at international level, which is why he isn't an automatic first choice in the French team, but amazing club player.

I saw him come off the bench and single handedly win a game against England.... He eats a lot of steak as well.
P

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2007, 03:26:27 AM »
I saw him come off the bench and single handedly win a game against England.... He eats a lot of steak as well.

Did you watch him play against New Zealand before the Tri-Nations this year?  Apart from one tackle that broke Ali Williams jaw and a big hit on a centre, he spent those tests looking like a little boy who couldn't catch a ball.  There is a reason why the French want to play him at second row rather than number eight, he is not very good at International level.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2007, 03:29:02 AM »
Did you watch him play against New Zealand before the Tri-Nations this year?  Apart from one tackle that broke Ali Williams jaw and a big hit on a centre, he spent those tests looking like a little boy who couldn't catch a ball.  There is a reason why the French want to play him at second row rather than number eight, he is not very good at International level.

Yeah i agree,  he needs to be in a pack thats going forward otherwise he will be invisible.
P

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2007, 03:33:39 AM »
Guys I have played American Football, Aussie Rules and Rugby (league) and I can tell you Rugby is by far the toughest game on the body. Anyone who thinks otherwise should play a couple of seasons....then tell me it's a soft game 8).

Oh yeah Grant the Haka is magic stuff, I played with a ton of Kiwi's over here (Australia) and we all learnt the Haka from them, not quite the same when a little guy like me does it but it's still great stuff ;D.

World Cup Final is at 4am over here Sunday morning so I might have to watch the replay the next day depending on what time I get home sat night, I may just stay up to watch though 8).
My old room mate and friend eric stocz ( ex Lions , steelers , etc ) has a diff opp on rugby versus football. My personal opp on what's rougher is that rugby is like childs play compared to football .

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2007, 03:37:26 AM »
Yeah i agree,  he needs to be in a pack thats going forward otherwise he will be invisible.

Most number 8 who have limited skill struggle behind a pack going backwards.  Compare him to Nick Easter, he was the only English player who went forward against the Boks during the two tests in the summer when England got stuffed and the English pack struggled. He should grow a beard, he is twice the player Chabal is.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2007, 03:47:43 AM »
My old room mate and friend eric stocz ( ex Lions , steelers , etc ) has a diff opp on rugby versus football. My personal opp on what's rougher is that rugby is like childs play compared to football .

Oh, no bias there then ::)

And the images really don't make you look like an idiot ::)
الاسلام هو شيطانية

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2007, 04:08:31 AM »
Ah, and as a Bok fan I wish I could be so sure too.  But Wilkinson is the "magic man" and I honestly think it will be a very close game.

Anything can happen on any given Saturday in this World Cup ...as the English and French have already proved.  I just Pray for fair decisions from the ref's?   Just let the best team win?

Putting a 3 point field goal is too much.. They should reduced to a single point.. England got criticized for their tactics of Johnny "Drop Kick King" Wilkinson.. If you haven't noticed, England so far has scored less 20 tries in the tournament while Kiwis, Boks or Wallabies had scored more than 25 tries. The Kiwis scored around 35 tries until Quarter Final
I am a mini beast

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2007, 04:11:19 AM »
Putting a 3 point field goal is too much.. They should reduced to a single point.. England got criticized for their tactics of Johnny "Drop Kick King" Wilkinson.. If you haven't noticed, England so far has scored less 20 tries in the tournament while Kiwis, Boks or Wallabies had scored more than 25 tries. The Kiwis scored around 35 tries until Quarter Final

Aaah right, you mean make the game more bias in the direction of the way Kiwis play?

Don't whinge because the tacticians behind the French and English victories out did you.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2007, 04:23:55 AM »
Aaah right, you mean make the game more bias in the direction of the way Kiwis play?

Don't whinge because the tacticians behind the French and English victories out did you.

I can't argue about the tactics by the French and English. It worked for them and they won (that's what matters).

Am more concerned about playing the beautiful game
I am a mini beast

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2007, 04:31:05 AM »
I can't argue about the tactics by the French and English. It worked for them and they won (that's what matters).

Am more concerned about playing the beautiful game

Yeah, a little variation helps.

Lower the drop goals to one point and you effectively kill it all together. Risk Vs Points not worth it.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2007, 04:33:16 AM »
Yeah, a little variation helps.

Lower the drop goals to one point and you effectively kill it all together. Risk Vs Points not worth it.

I agree with you mate.. I would love to see teams playing hard to score tries than kicking penalties / drop goals
I am a mini beast

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2007, 06:49:30 AM »

The Kiwis had the easiest of all the groups, Scotland, Italy, Romania and Portugal so it is no wonder they scored so many tries. (It is also a plausible reason why they got beat in the quarter finals. They hadn't played a competitive fixture since the final match of the tri-nations and weren't battle hardened).

No one was calling for reduction in the points of a drop goal when South Africa won with a drop goal in the 1995 final or when Zinzan Brook dropped goaled from the half way line against England or when De Beer drop goaled England out of the 1999 World Cup.  No-one has criticised the Argentinians who drop goal more than England or South Africa won regularly attempt drop goals from their own half which is a very negative tactic.  It seems that people only tend to call for the drop goal when England are doing it.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2007, 08:38:17 AM »
Well to be honest, I think only a few of the top world scrummagers can bench that amount.  None of the running backs have that level of strength ... but I did find this link on Sheridan (and 225kg is the same as 507 pounds which is about 5 plates, yes?)

http://worldcup.planet-rugby.com/Story/0,21043,13140_2650338,00.html

Sheridan is a beast...a 6'5" prop still seems odd to me.  but at 275 he still weighs less than both SA props.  I think SA will destroy england based on their pack alone

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2007, 11:44:47 AM »
Oh, no bias there then ::)

And the images really don't make you look like an idiot ::)
Whay do the images make me look like an idiot ?

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
I guess it's that you do differant Injury's in American Football compared to Rugby, the head and Shoulder joint is where a lot of the Injury's come from in Rugby where as In American Football it seemed to be an assortment of injury's with a lot of leg and lower body stuff. I guess the Shoulder stuff is quite common in both though. This is just from my experience though of course 8).

Final tonight.......god I hate the Poms lol ;D

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2007, 02:30:59 AM »
Whay do the images make me look like an idiot ?

Because you're comparing your "friend" with Honour in a bizarre attempt to discredit him and give more weight to your baseless opinion.

Of course you're french. I forgive you for your frenchness.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2007, 10:54:53 AM »
 :D armchair qb's always crack me up.

scubaculture

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2007, 06:59:56 PM »
South Africa 2007 world champs!!! YEAH BABY!!!!

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2007, 09:58:54 PM »
South Africa 2007 world champs!!! YEAH BABY!!!!

Good game, the neighbour hood exploded with car horns etc after the game.
Nice to be numero uno again :)

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2007, 02:45:12 AM »
Yeah it was close I guess but not what you would call exciting :P, very average game to watch from a spectators pov unless you where really supporting one team over the other 8). Well done to the guys from SA :).

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2007, 02:48:26 AM »
Because you're comparing your "friend" with Honour in a bizarre attempt to discredit him and give more weight to your baseless opinion.

Haha cheers Nordic, yeah I never can figure sevastase out either ;D.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2007, 03:38:58 AM »
Haha cheers Nordic, yeah I never can figure sevastase out either ;D.
well i'll help u : eric played in the nfl , also played some rugby. u on on the other hand....what did u play again/...PLEASE DON'T FEEL OFFENDED BUT DO U HAVE A FUCKING CLUE WHAT'S LIKE TO PLAY AMERICAN FOOTBALL IN THE NFL ?...U ARE A NICE KID BUT i think u're in a little over your head here.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2007, 04:14:03 AM »
well i'll help u : eric played in the nfl , also played some rugby. u on on the other hand....what did u play again/...PLEASE DON'T FEEL OFFENDED BUT DO U HAVE A FUCKING CLUE WHAT'S LIKE TO PLAY AMERICAN FOOTBALL IN THE NFL ?...U ARE A NICE KID BUT i think u're in a little over your head here.

Right so he's not allowed to have an opinion ::)

Like you have to be a PRO bodybuilder to criticise a PRO bodybuilder? ::)

Get real moron.

P.S. France 10 - 34 Argentina
الاسلام هو شيطانية