Author Topic: Please weigh in on Hi Def TV's  (Read 3068 times)

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Please weigh in on Hi Def TV's
« on: October 18, 2007, 04:09:30 AM »
Hey gang...
SO I'm getting ready to take the plunge to a jumbo TV
Either plasma or LCD
I thought I was sure that plasma was more money than LCD but after looking at 40 TV's in several stores
it gets more confusing.Initially I went to Tweeter and was pretty much set on a SONY Bravia W3000 52 inch LCD for about 3000....they had this tv next to the plasma ones and I actually thought the pic quality was the same if not better.Then last night the wife dragged me to a new Target store....of course I hit the TV area right away.....Saw a Phillips 50 inch plasma for 1500 !
I know a lot of you guys have big screen tv's and I'd like to hear your take on what you think is a great TV at a great price.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: Please weigh in on Hi Def TV's
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 08:42:34 AM »
I love my LCD. I have a 36 inch Philips upstairs and I love it. I have a 50 inch Sony DLP for sports but when its time to buy another big one I'll get an LCD. I love it. The Bravia is supposed to be pretty good quality.
L

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 08:51:44 AM »
Thanks for the reply headhunter...
I'm looking at the Sony Bravia 52 inch LCD....around 3K....of course there are extras like
the hi def cables...installation if one chooses and the extended maintenance program.
The 52 inch sony bravia lcd is model number W3000 and now they have the xbr series 2,3,4 and soon 5.
Could spend months on comparing all the bells and whistles !
Like anything else the technology changes very fast.
I was looking at tv's on some web site and as I'm scrolling along I see 'hi def' hi def' 'hi def etc....
then I see FULL Hi Def !!???
Drive ya crazy

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 08:57:41 AM »
Expect the cables and warranty to set you back another 1K or so, but the LCD's are the way to go. We've got a 50" Phillips LCD downstairs and a 42" Plasma upstairs, and we barely ever watch anything upstairs anymore.

Plasma's tend to fade because the compression of gasses weakens over time. Also they don't work as well at higher altitudes, the picture washes out. LCD's won't fade, when the bulb goes you just replace it, which is not too expensive and an easy fix.

Get the LCD, you'll love it...

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 09:19:32 AM »
See I would have to say that my 42" LG Plasma is my favorite tv of all time. I had an LCD before the plasma and I love my Plasma. LG makes great products in my opinion. I love my shit and Madden 08 looks great on it.  ;D ;D ;D

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 09:32:48 AM »
Damn....I just talked with this engineer I work with...electronics engineer PhD
Anywho...he was telling me about his projector...Around a 1000 bucks and he claims the picture quality is just as good as LCD.........AND he projects it onto a wall painted white in his living room.He said the projected image or movie is 8 feet across!
My living room is something like 12x15.....his is bigger...My living room might be too small to go this way.
I might have to go look at projectors now before the final decision.

Yo reardon....its not really 1000 in extras is it?
The cables are around 250 I think....150 installation....dependin g on what maintenance package  you get maybe another 200-300....If I got A Sony I was considering not getting any maintenance program because of the quality.

body88

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 09:33:38 AM »
Hey gang...
Either plasma or LCD
I thought I was sure that plasma was more money than LCD but after looking at 40 TV's in several stores
it gets more confusing.Initially I went to Tweeter and was pretty much set on a SONY Bravia W3000 52 inch LCD for about 3000....they had this tv next to the plasma ones and I actually thought the pic quality was the same if not better.Then last night the wife dragged me to a new Target store....of course I hit the TV area right away.....Saw a Phillips 50 inch plasma for 1500 !
I know a lot of you guys have big screen tv's and I'd like to hear your take on what you think is a great TV at a great price.

I have a 42 inch Sony Bravia xbr (lcd) Love it. The picture on it is incredable. The 1080p is really sharp. The bravia is also very sylish. Talk to effin. He knows a ton about tv's. He helped me pick mine out.

Go look @ the Bravia line by Sony. They are very nice.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 09:42:52 AM »
Anywho...he was telling me about his projector...Around a 1000 bucks and he claims the picture quality is just as good as LCD.........AND he projects it onto a wall painted white in his living room.He said the projected image or movie is 8 feet across!
My living room is something like 12x15.....his is bigger...My living room might be too small to go this way.

The cables are around 250 I think....150 installation....dependin g on what maintenance package  you get maybe another 200-300....If I got A Sony I was considering not getting any maintenance program because of the quality.

It isn't all it's cracked up to be. Bulbs are expensive. Great for a fight night when you have over 10 guys but for everyday I wouldn't say it's the way to go. I sold mine cause I only used it on fight night

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 09:43:11 AM »
Hey 88 ....how goes it....Yes I remember when wifey bought it for you last xmas :)
I think you got the sound system too....
YUh thats what I been looking at....Sony Bravia LCD 52inch Model W3000
ITs a notch down from the xbr series but I probably wouldn't be able to notice the difference.
The projectors sound kinda crazy though....was just talking to a guru who works with me here at MIT
and after talking with him I might check out projectors.
Do you have comcast 88?
How much more a month for the hi def box as compared to the regular box?

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 12:56:19 PM »

Yeah you can probably get them all for $700. I forgot that I had a DVD in there, too...so I was close to a G or so.

The projections look cool, but if I did it I'd do it right with the pull down screen and top of the line projector. It's about 10 G's  :P   I'd rather buy a new watch...

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 02:00:16 PM »
Expect the cables and warranty to set you back another 1K or so, but the LCD's are the way to go. We've got a 50" Phillips LCD downstairs and a 42" Plasma upstairs, and we barely ever watch anything upstairs anymore.

Plasma's tend to fade because the compression of gasses weakens over time. Also they don't work as well at higher altitudes, the picture washes out. LCD's won't fade, when the bulb goes you just replace it, which is not too expensive and an easy fix.

Get the LCD, you'll love it...

Spending a fortune on HDMI and component cables is the biggest scam in the entertainment industry. For 99.9% of all people with hi-def systems expensive cables are a waste.

Buy them from here, they make their own and they're high quality and cheap. You can even save a few bucks if you buy them without the packaging.

http://www.tendonusa.com/shop/pages.php?pageid=1

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 02:07:41 PM »
Hey gang...
Either plasma or LCD

General rule of thumb for flat panel tv's.

Anything over 52" go with Plasma and anything under go with LCD.

LCD's over 52" are prohibitively expensive.

Make sure whatever tv you buy that it has at least 3 HDMI ports and make sure they're either HDMI 1.2 or 1.3 ports. And make sure it's got a built in HD tuner so you can pick up local high def stations with an OTA antenna.

Right now DLP is the best bang for the buck and with DLP LED the added expense of new lamps every 3-4 years is eliminated.

You can buy a 1080P 61" DLP LED for under $2,000 delivered right now.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 02:13:34 PM »

Right now DLP is the best bang for the buck and with DLP LED the added expense of new lamps every 3-4 years is eliminated.

You can buy a 1080P 61" DLP LED for under $2,000 delivered right now.

Really? How is that compared to plasmas and LCDs? I just watched transformers on my 53 inch rear projection and I want a new TV, but am not sure I want to blow upwards of 4 grand on it. Under 2 grand for a 61 inch would be perfect. I don't mean to sound stupid, but what is DLP? Is that the one with the mirrors? Cuz my buddy just paid 25ish for a 65 inch rear with the mirror things. It has a great screen, but nothing like the other two models, although I would trade size for clarity to an extent.
E

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 02:30:17 PM »
Really? How is that compared to plasmas and LCDs? I just watched transformers on my 53 inch rear projection and I want a new TV, but am not sure I want to blow upwards of 4 grand on it. Under 2 grand for a 61 inch would be perfect. I don't mean to sound stupid, but what is DLP? Is that the one with the mirrors? Cuz my buddy just paid 25ish for a 65 inch rear with the mirror things. It has a great screen, but nothing like the other two models, although I would trade size for clarity to an extent.

DLP's are a half step below LCD and Plasma TV's but to be honest most people really wouldn't be able to tell the difference given the same picture was coming from the same source. Yes, DLP are the mirrors, they have what's called a color wheel that spins and produces the colors. These color wheels are only good for 3-4000 hours of use and then they need to be replaced. The process is relatively simple but the wheels cost between $3-400 each.

The new systems use an LED engine which eliminates the wheel. The LED engines are supposedly good for 18-20,000 hours which is roughly a decade of tv viewing.

I have both a DLP and a LCD and the DLP is fantastic.

Remember, much of the quality of the image comes from the source. If the source (ie. Cable, Dish, OTA) is bad then the image will be bad as well.

Check out this tv and read the reviews. For my money this is the best bang for the buck right now. Excellent tv.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HLT6187S-Slim-Engine-1080p/dp/B000N53TDM

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 02:32:51 PM »
Will do, thanks.
E

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 04:26:46 PM »
So I been doing alot of research on this and ....
Sony of course is king....After looking at the ratings...samsung and sharp were in the top 5 .

The Sharp Aquos LCD 46" 1080p plenty of jacks...2  HDMI's
For 2 grand its not bad
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05771176000P?vName=Computers+%26+Electronics&cName=Televisions&sName=LCD+TVs

Samsung LN-T4665F 46" LCD Display 1080p etc. 2500
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05771097000P?vName=Computers+%26+Electronics&cName=Televisions&sName=LCD+TVs

Although the highest rated ,if these 2 tv's were sony's like the xbr series,they'd be another thousand bucks each. Brutal  ;D

Sony's are sweet though....If moneys no object then this is one of the best
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05771694000P?vName=Computers+%26+Electronics&cName=Televisions&sName=LCD+TVs

Best link EVER --->http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 08:32:19 PM »
Its nice to do some research and see that my plasma is at the bottom 5 fuck.... It looks like panasonic is a really good plasma if you decide to go that route.

body88

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 05:41:49 AM »
Hey 88 ....how goes it....Yes I remember when wifey bought it for you last xmas :)
I think you got the sound system too....
YUh thats what I been looking at....Sony Bravia LCD 52inch Model W3000
ITs a notch down from the xbr series but I probably wouldn't be able to notice the difference.
The projectors sound kinda crazy though....was just talking to a guru who works with me here at MIT
and after talking with him I might check out projectors.
Do you have comcast 88?
How much more a month for the hi def box as compared to the regular box?

Whats up bro? What a present huh? My best friend has the  Bravia you are talking about. Great picture on that one also. He went out an bought a sony after watching the game on mine a few times. I have a system also made by sony. Just a basic 400 watt set up my lady got me with the tv. You have to grab one if you can. Makes the experience of 1080 hd that much better.

I have the high def comcast box that has the dvr in it ( its worth it ) Out here in Boston it cost me 15 bucks more then a basic box every month. Well worth the price IMO.

Effin knows a ton about this stuff. He can help you make the right pick. Good luck with whatever you choose. Only problem is you better be ready to refuse to watch a normal tv after getting used to the hd!

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 06:43:09 AM »
Hey 88....yuh the hi def box is 5 dollars more a month then the one I use now....
Comcast supplies the HDMI cables for free as well!I'm right near salem new hampshire.
I'm going to sears in a few hours...
I'll post a pic of the new rig when its set up.....
Thanks for your input

GO SOX
CAn't believe Cleveland got Becketts ex girl to sing the national anthem last night thinking it would phyche him out   ::)

MAnny better start running out of the box from now on till he sees a ball actually leave the park.

body88

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 07:31:57 AM »
Hey 88....yuh the hi def box is 5 dollars more a month then the one I use now....
Comcast supplies the HDMI cables for free as well!I'm right near salem new hampshire.
I'm going to sears in a few hours...
I'll post a pic of the new rig when its set up.....
Thanks for your input

GO SOX
CAn't believe Cleveland got Becketts ex girl to sing the national anthem last night thinking it would phyche him out   ::)

MAnny better start running out of the box from now on till he sees a ball actually leave the park.

Cool, make sure you post some pics. Come over to the sports board to talk some sports sometime. The funny part was when Becket talked about how hw and his ex girl are still friends, then thanked the Indians for flying her out to watch him pitch for free.

That was after he struck out 11 Indians and held them to one run over 8 in there own house. Welcome back to Fenway Carmonaaaaaaaaa.

Loften is lucky he didn't charge the mound. Josh would have broke that midget in half  ;)

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2007, 08:18:35 AM »
Cool, make sure you post some pics. Come over to the sports board to talk some sports sometime. The funny part was when Becket talked about how hw and his ex girl are still friends, then thanked the Indians for flying her out to watch him pitch for free.

That was after he struck out 11 Indians and held them to one run over 8 in there own house. Welcome back to Fenway Carmonaaaaaaaaa.

Loften is lucky he didn't charge the mound. Josh would have broke that midget in half  ;)

You see Beckett's face, he was like LOLERSKATEZ!

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2007, 08:34:22 AM »
HAHAHAHAH.....lofton.... .oh brother

Lets see.....whats the equivalent of that with 2 other players...

Coco Crisp and Travis Hefner  ? ;D

OK....off to get the new LCD.....back later......I got a semi already

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2007, 11:19:05 AM »
standby     8)

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV