Author Topic: Gen. Sanchez Telling it Like It Is!!!  (Read 1045 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Gen. Sanchez Telling it Like It Is!!!
« on: October 18, 2007, 05:30:53 AM »
Gen. Sanchez's Scream
He indicted everyone involved in Iraq, including the media and Congress.
BY DANIEL HENNINGER
Thursday, October 18, 2007 12:01 a.m.

Over the past weekend there were front-page accounts everywhere of Gen. Ricardo S. Sanchez's description of the war in Iraq as a "nightmare." The New York Times led its story this way:

"In a sweeping indictment of the four-year effort in Iraq, the former top commander of American forces there called the Bush administration's handling of the war 'incompetent' and said the result was 'a nightmare with no end in sight.' " Gen. Sanchez said this last Friday to a gathering of reporters and editors in Washington who cover military affairs. It was a dramatic denunciation from the man who led U.S. forces in Iraq from 2003 to 2004.

On Monday my colleague John Fund wrote an item for the Journal editorial page's daily email newsletter, Political Diary, noting that most of the news reports of the speech had failed to note that Gen. Sanchez had also severely criticized the press's performance in Iraq. "For some of you," Gen. Sanchez said to the reporters, "the truth is of little to no value if it does not fit your own preconceived notions, biases and agendas."

By now I was curious to see what Gen. Sanchez actually did say. The full text is an indictment all right, of everyone connected to this war--the president, the press, Congress, the bureaucracy and maybe the country itself.

Gen. Sanchez was running the U.S. war effort in Iraq when the Abu Ghraib scandal blew up, though an investigation absolved him.

It's possible to dismiss some of what he says as over the top or to cavil with the particulars. One cannot really know how extensively Gen. Sanchez's views are shared across the officer corps. But there is a discomfiting, Cassandra-like quality to this speech. It is a scream of rage.

Whatever happens in Iraq, this country at some point will have to think seriously (if possible) about the war's effects on its politics and its institutions. Gen. Sanchez's scream is as good a place as any to start.

With elided excerpts, I'll summarize what he said. Body armor recommended.

• The media. "It seems that as long as you get a front-page story there is little or no regard for the 'collateral damage' you will cause. Personal reputations have no value and you report with total impunity and are rarely held accountable for unethical conduct. . . . You assume that you are correct and on the moral high ground."

"The speculative and often uninformed initial reporting that characterizes our media appears to be rapidly becoming the standard of the industry." "Tactically insignificant events have become strategic defeats." And: "The death knell of your ethics has been enabled by your parent organizations who have chosen to align themselves with political agendas. What is clear to me is that you are perpetuating the corrosive partisan politics that is destroying our country and killing our service members who are at war."

• The Bush administration. "When a nation goes to war it must bring to bear all elements of power in order to win. . . . [This] administration has failed to employ and synchronize its political, economic and military power . . . and they have definitely not communicated that reality to the American people."

• Congress and politics. "Since 2003, the politics of war have been characterized by partisanship as the Republican and Democratic parties struggled for power in Washington. . . . National efforts to date have been corrupted by partisan politics that have prevented us from devising effective, executable, supportable solutions. These partisan struggles have led to political decisions that endangered the lives of our sons and daughters on the battlefield. The unmistakable message was that political power had greater priority than our national security objectives."

• The bureaucracies. Gen. Sanchez argues that "unity of effort" was hampered by the absence of any coordinated authority over the war effort of the bureaucracies: "The Administration, Congress and the entire interagency, especially the Department of State, must shoulder the responsibility for this catastrophic failure."

"Clearly," he says, "mistakes have been made by the American military in its application of power. But even its greatest failures in this war can be linked to America's lack of commitment, priority and moral courage in this war effort. . . . America has not been fully committed to win this war."

He says leaving Iraq is not an option, and he has no doubt about the threat: "As a nation we must recognize that the enemy we face is committed to destroying our way of life."

In sum, what Gen. Sanchez is describing here is a nation that is at risk and is in a state of disunity. Does disunity matter? He is saying that in war, it does.

In politics, a degree of disunity is normal. But in our time, partisan disunity has become the norm. The purpose of politics now is to thwart, to stop.

We may have underestimated how corrosive our disunity has been on the troops in Iraq, and how deeply it has damaged us.

Those of us in politics--politicians, reporters, bureaucrats--are largely inured to all this, and we seem to have assumed that the system shares our infinite capacity for antipathy and tumult. But is this occupational toughness natural to politics, or is it cynicism? I don't think the soldiers or the American people see the difference.

Arguably it is the proper role of politics to intervene, to question. But during Vietnam and again now, we haven't been able to avoid simultaneously putting troops on the battlefield while fighting bitterly amongst ourselves at home for the length of the war.

The U.S. officer corps is aware of this. While no one is talking about a stab in the back, they may conclude that the home front and its institutions are unable to, or will not, protect their back.

One may ask: Will we ever want to do this again? Are we able to undertake military missions that prove difficult? Or is the projection of U.S. military power into the world an idea that now irreparably divides the American people? Before November 2008, we had better have some answers, from our presidential candidates and from ourselves.

Mr. Henninger is deputy editor of The Wall Street Journal's editorial page. His column appears Thursdays in the Journal and on OpinionJournal.com.

Copyright © 2007 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: Gen. Sanchez Telling it Like It Is!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 07:20:34 AM »
The media made more of the fact that he said Iraq was a mess then any other thing he said. He's one of the first to attack them like this. Sanchez is a prize asshole..but in this case he's right.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 08:03:31 AM »
The government tried to control the media by embedding it with the troops.  To blame the media for the national mood directed at the failures in Iraq is weak.

Blaming the media is a straw argument.  It's that simple.

It is a technicality, but war was never declared in Iraq.  I wish those that know better, like the general, would stop misleading the public.

I also think that the General needs a history lesson.  Some of the most rancorous debate about war occurred during WWII.  That's the nature of divided government.

This call for unquestioning unity is unamerican. 

And finally, he mischaracterizes the Iraq fiasco as a battle of life and death for our very existence.  He sounds like a histrionical woman.  Talk about hyperbole.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 08:20:05 AM »
Decker this is what ur not getting. It is for our survival and the threat is not overblown. I think what u posted is at the very cornerstone of our arguments and our disagreements. I believe that they are a grave threat while u believe that the threat might be overblown.

The media would prefer to be embedded. Much much better story. They get the human interest angle, they get to be on the front lines. They get multiple stories, as opposed to the stringer/IED file it and sip margarita's at the El Rasheed story that many guys are doing now.

Also the media has a HUGE influence on the troops. It can't be overstated enough. I mean all media, music, movies, TV, the net. Guys are seeing whats going on over here and they get very pissed. I never felt that Public really cared. I need to PM u on something.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 08:31:35 AM »
Decker this is what ur not getting. It is for our survival and the threat is not overblown. I think what u posted is at the very cornerstone of our arguments and our disagreements. I believe that they are a grave threat while u believe that the threat might be overblown.

The media would prefer to be embedded. Much much better story. They get the human interest angle, they get to be on the front lines. They get multiple stories, as opposed to the stringer/IED file it and sip margarita's at the El Rasheed story that many guys are doing now.

Also the media has a HUGE influence on the troops. It can't be overstated enough. I mean all media, music, movies, TV, the net. Guys are seeing whats going on over here and they get very pissed. I never felt that Public really cared. I need to PM u on something.
I still go back to 9/11.  It was 19 guys with box cutters that attacked our country.  Yes, I do think the Al Qaeda threat is exaggerated for political ends.  I am still of the opinion that terrorism is a police problem.  That's the most effective way to handle the problem.

Treating terrorists as criminals is a 'behind the scenes' approach and is cheaper than warfare, it doesn't create more enemies who react to our invasion(s), it creates less destruction in the world and it works.  Ask the Brits and Germans about that.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 08:34:40 AM »
We took the approach that we needed to go after the States as well. After all, these guys could not conduct the spectacular attacks they have been doing without help and I think that they want to shift from the odd carbomb and even hijacking to WMDs and thats where the US got very nervous.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 08:50:28 AM »
We took the approach that we needed to go after the States as well. After all, these guys could not conduct the spectacular attacks they have been doing without help and I think that they want to shift from the odd carbomb and even hijacking to WMDs and thats where the US got very nervous.
That's the problem.  Terrorism is a tactic employed in dozens and dozens of countries:  Israel, Palestine, Saudi Arabia, Ireland, Egypt, Lebanon....

We can't invade every country that harbors terrorists.  It's simply not practical for our finances or military resources.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 08:55:35 AM »
No u can't but, U are limited to what u can do without state support. If I have support from Syria, i can set up a lab, full logistics and I have time and protection to really set up my attack. If I'm in a cave in Pakistan where I have support from some tribesmen but really can't expand what I would like to do etc, then I'm stuck with hijackings and carbombs.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 10:10:08 AM »
No u can't but, U are limited to what u can do without state support. If I have support from Syria, i can set up a lab, full logistics and I have time and protection to really set up my attack. If I'm in a cave in Pakistan where I have support from some tribesmen but really can't expand what I would like to do etc, then I'm stuck with hijackings and carbombs.
I see your point. 

State Sponsors of Terrorism

Country  Designation Date

Cuba March 1, 1982

Iran January 19, 1984

North Korea January 20, 1988

Sudan August 12, 1993

Syria December 29, 1979
http://www.state.gov/s/ct/c14151.htm

Now if that's the case that another country is attacking us w/ terrorist tactics, then we can have Congress declare war on that country and take care of business.  Otherwise we have a police problem.

This whole notion of preemption has to be rethought b/c it is dangerously close to preventive war.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 06:56:36 AM »
I saw the Kingdom the other afternnon while down at FT Campbell. They used an FBI team to investigate the bombing. We do use police etc, but once u ID the "bad guys" the military needs to go in. I'm not saying invasion, but Delta, Seals etc. It was surprising to see  a movie like that made by Hollywood in this political climate.
L

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 07:28:01 AM »
why can't old generals just fade away...why drop bombs now?

footloose and fancy free

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 07:30:20 AM »
I first thought that this guy should just shut up, especially as things have changed 3 times over since he's been there. Its gotten 10 times worse since he left and now possibly better. I did like his take on the media. Its an aspect of what he said that has not been mentioned very much.
L

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 07:38:14 AM »
agreed..he has some good arguments but is there anything that he said there that is new to the public? maybe after he was sacked he could have come out and leveled those accusations but three years after the fact is hardly any new news.
footloose and fancy free

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 07:41:05 AM »
Yeah, I'm not sure what his motivation was. I bet a book is on the way. Its also overlooked that he did get "sacked". They moved him but he didn't have anbother job waiting so he had to retire. Thats the nice way of doing it.
L

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 07:45:01 AM »
everyone writes books these days...before, generals would gather their papers when they go old and gray and get some historian to rattle off some 1000 page memoir..now, these guys publish books like dime store novels...
footloose and fancy free