Author Topic: Brownback to withdraw from GOP race  (Read 989 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Brownback to withdraw from GOP race
« on: October 18, 2007, 08:56:04 AM »
Can't say I'm sorry to see him go.  Anyone who knows nothing about football shouldn't be in the White House.   :)

Oct 18, 11:06 AM EDT
Brownback to withdraw from GOP race

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Republican Sam Brownback will drop out of the 2008 presidential campaign on Friday, people close to the Kansas senator said Thursday.

Trouble raising money was a main reason for his decision, said one person close to Brownback, who requested anonymity because the candidate had not yet announced his plans.

Brownback, a lesser-known conservative contender, is expected announce his withdrawal in Topeka, Kan.

The senator is widely expected to seek the Kansas governor's office in 2010, when his term - his second - expires. He had promised in his first Senate campaign to serve no more than two terms.

Brownback had raised a little more than $800,000 from July through September and around $4 million overall. He is eligible for $2 million in federal matching funds.

Besides money, Brownback's support for a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants hurt him in Iowa, an early-voting state that has struggled to provide education, medical care and other services as the number of immigrants has more than doubled since 1990.

Brownback spent a good chunk of his money on the Iowa straw poll, an early test of strength whose significance diminished after Arizona Sen. John McCain and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani decided not to compete. He finished third behind former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

People close to Brownback said it was unlikely he would endorse another candidate on Friday.

It's uncertain how much weight a Brownback endorsement would carry. While he is a favorite of religious conservatives, he failed to become their consensus candidate and ranks low in national polls and state surveys.

Still, a nod from Brownback could bolster the conservative credentials of a candidate such as McCain or Huckabee.

Those two rivals appear most likely to receive Brownback's support. Brownback and McCain are close Senate comrades and have refrained from criticizing one another, instead assailing Romney.

While McCain has a voting record similar to Brownback's on cultural issues, McCain prompts skepticism on the right flank of the party because he isn't a high-profile crusader against abortion rights and gay marriage. Brownback's backing could signal to Christian conservatives that they can trust McCain.

Huckabee, a Southern Baptist preacher, is another favorite of religious conservatives. But like Brownback, he has struggled to get that voting bloc to rally around him with political support. He, too, could benefit from Brownback's backing.

It's harder to imagine any other Republican in the field getting a Brownback nod, although former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson is a possibility. The Kansas senator has bitterly criticized Romney, and Giuliani is detested by the religious right for his abortion rights and gay rights positions.

---

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BROWNBACK?SITE=HIHAD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Brownback to withdraw from GOP race
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 09:33:45 AM »
Can't say I'm sorry to see him go.  Anyone who knows nothing about football shouldn't be in the White House.   :)

He didn't have time to learn about football.

He was probably too busy studying things like Middle Eastern civilizations, the art of warfare, and simple economics (borrowing/spending).

You know, the stuff the current guy in charge doesn't know much about ;)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 09:36:11 AM »
Who?  ???

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 09:41:04 AM »
He could still have a big impact from his senatorial position. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 09:41:52 AM »
Can't say I'm sorry to see him go.  Anyone who knows nothing about football shouldn't be in the White House.   :)

I honestly think you'd prefer a semi-competent President who you thought was a cool guy, over a highly competent guy who doesn't share your interests (football).

We got the all-American guy with Dubya.  He quickly cowered to the neocons and has been a puppet ever since.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 10:59:01 AM »
I honestly think you'd prefer a semi-competent President who you thought was a cool guy, over a highly competent guy who doesn't share your interests (football).

We got the all-American guy with Dubya.  He quickly cowered to the neocons and has been a puppet ever since.  

::)  Do you really think I care what you honestly think?  [Answer:  No, but you do make me laugh.   :)]

There should be a football litmus test.  Tax credits for the NFL Network (I will not order it otherwise).  Federal takeover of NCAA Division I football, forcing a playoff system that consists of all conference winners and a few at large bids. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 11:00:03 AM »
He could still have a big impact from his senatorial position. 

True.  It would be nice to see him endorse Huckabee.  Shake things up a little. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 11:07:09 AM »
::)  Do you really think I care what you honestly think?  [Answer:  No, but you do make me laugh.   :)]

Yes, I do.  You tried to impress me with your recommendation of a book you haven't read.  You are obviously crying for approval, beach Bum. 

There should be a football litmus test.  Tax credits for the NFL Network (I will not order it otherwise).  Federal takeover of NCAA Division I football, forcing a playoff system that consists of all conference winners and a few at large bids. 

I know you're trying to be funny.  But it's just not happening for you today.  You're funnier when you deliver one liners like "I have no idea who the Waltons are, but I just read a great book called Made in America".  That shit is priceless, man.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 11:23:22 AM »
Yes, I do.  You tried to impress me with your recommendation of a book you haven't read.  You are obviously crying for approval, beach Bum. 

I know you're trying to be funny.  But it's just not happening for you today.  You're funnier when you deliver one liners like "I have no idea who the Waltons are, but I just read a great book called Made in America".  That shit is priceless, man.

[chuckle]   :-*

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 11:30:18 AM »

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 06:32:16 AM »
True.  It would be nice to see him endorse Huckabee.  Shake things up a little. 
That would be pretty cool.  There's a huge conference this weekend in washington for social conservatives.  It's called the Washington Briefing.  All presidential candidates were invited (R & D alike), but only the Republican candidates have agreed to attend.  There's going to be a straw poll at the conclusion of the conference.  I'm going to view the webcast.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 08:35:42 AM »
That would be pretty cool.  There's a huge conference this weekend in washington for social conservatives.  It's called the Washington Briefing.  All presidential candidates were invited (R & D alike), but only the Republican candidates have agreed to attend.  There's going to be a straw poll at the conclusion of the conference.  I'm going to view the webcast.

I wonder why none of the Democrat candidates are attending?  I'd like to know how it turns out.  Can you post your comments after watching it?