Author Topic: Re- Tyson benching 500!  (Read 7548 times)

WhiteCastle

• Getbig III
  • The Wizard of Filth
Re: Re- Tyson benching 500!
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2007, 05:09:33 PM »
Mike Tyson only was able to beat guys who were terrified of him and generally did not do that great against tall fighters.  Ali or Foreman would have beaten him in prime vs. prime.  Foreman was much more powerful than Tyson, and Ali was able to take all of Foreman's shots.  Lennox Lewis did beat him even with Tyson being one year younger. 

RadOncDoc

• Getbig II
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2007, 05:35:42 PM »
Mike Tyson at best was a mediocre fighter, he was strong but unfortunately not very smart, he never beat anybody impressive, and when faced with a superior fighter like Evander Holyfield, Tyson looked like an amateur, he was so outclassed by Evander, that he flew into an infantile rage and bit Evanders ear off (which by the way, hardly fazed Evander, who still wanted the fight to continue).  Even Buster Douglas beat him up, and Buster is by no means a great fighter.  Currently his record is 50 Wins, 6 Losses, 2 No Contest.  Tyson also refused to fight a much older George Foreman, who would have knocked him senseless, Foreman in his prime was the most awesome puncher around, and for an old man, still packs a mean punch.  Tyson is a illiterate thug who learned to throw a hook, big deal.  The only thing great about Mike Tyson was his marketing campaign.

I wouldn't say tyson was mediocre, but he is way overrated by the general public. (In contrast, no boxing authority or boxing publication would ever place Tyson in a top 10 list). He didn't fight anyone! Plus, Tyson was still in his prime when he got fucked up by Buster Douglas. Say all you want about Robin Givens and the loss of his trainer--the fight wasn't even close. 

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2007, 12:24:07 AM »
I can remember watching the Ali fights as they happened on wide world of sports. Fuck, all the guys in the niehborhood would come over (wifeless) packing their smokes and 6 packs to watch it at my ol' mans house. They used to say............that loud mouthed n.i.g.g.e.r......I want to see him get knocked out!!!!. Funny thing is it would have been another black man doing it. At any rate I fell in love with the boxing game and idolized Ali. the man was a genius in the ring. He created the "Rope A Dope" he was noted for outsmarting his apponets. He would let themselves punch themselves silly and then he would strike, Ali had one hella K.O. punch. George Foreman (whom I admire) fell prey to Ali's tactics.
   Mike tyson came along and I remember hearing of him when he was an unknown fighter in his teens. I told my father he would be the youngest champ ever. Not the greatest.............jus t the youngest, I knew what the circuit was then and could see they where really after tyson to be the man.
    I also knew of Holyfield and how much more of a technition he was over Tyson. I knew then that if they ever squared off for real that Tyson would only win by a lucky shot. I actually feel sorry for guys like Tyson, he was an ignorant man who had it all yet did not know it and or how to deal with it. I really feel that D'mato would have saved his fall. It really is unfortunate yet that is how the chips fell. :-\

h

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
  • Different Dunes, Same Sand
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2007, 01:34:56 AM »
I can remember watching the Ali fights as they happened on wide world of sports. Fuck, all the guys in the niehborhood would come over (wifeless) packing their smokes and 6 packs to watch it at my ol' mans house. They used to say............that loud mouthed n.i.g.g.e.r......I want to see him get knocked out!!!!. Funny thing is it would have been another black man doing it. At any rate I fell in love with the boxing game and idolized Ali. the man was a genius in the ring. He created the "Rope A Dope" he was noted for outsmarting his apponets. He would let themselves punch themselves silly and then he would strike, Ali had one hella K.O. punch. George Foreman (whom I admire) fell prey to Ali's tactics.
   Mike tyson came along and I remember hearing of him when he was an unknown fighter in his teens. I told my father he would be the youngest champ ever. Not the greatest.............jus t the youngest, I knew what the circuit was then and could see they where really after tyson to be the man.
    I also knew of Holyfield and how much more of a technition he was over Tyson. I knew then that if they ever squared off for real that Tyson would only win by a lucky shot. I actually feel sorry for guys like Tyson, he was an ignorant man who had it all yet did not know it and or how to deal with it. I really feel that D'mato would have saved his fall. It really is unfortunate yet that is how the chips fell. :-\

Great analysis Teddy Atlas Eric.  ::)
Thread Killer

MoralMan

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2007, 03:50:27 AM »
Mike Tyson at best was a mediocre fighter, he was strong but unfortunately not very smart, he never beat anybody impressive, and when faced with a superior fighter like Evander Holyfield, Tyson looked like an amateur, he was so outclassed by Evander, that he flew into an infantile rage and bit Evanders ear off (which by the way, hardly fazed Evander, who still wanted the fight to continue).  Even Buster Douglas beat him up, and Buster is by no means a great fighter.  Currently his record is 50 Wins, 6 Losses, 2 No Contest.  Tyson also refused to fight a much older George Foreman, who would have knocked him senseless, Foreman in his prime was the most awesome puncher around, and for an old man, still packs a mean punch.  Tyson is a illiterate thug who learned to throw a hook, big deal.  The only thing great about Mike Tyson was his marketing campaign.

If you really think Mike was a medocre fighter you know nothing about boxing. Do you consider Holmes great? A lot of people do, well Berbick, Spinks and Carl Wiliams did 60 rounds with Holmes in total, the same trio did 4 with Tyson. Tyson also spanked Holmes himself easily.
With the exception of Ali/Clay, Tyson at 21 beats every heavyweight that ever lived.

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2007, 09:56:53 AM »
Lennox Lewis at his prime spanked Tyson, admittedly not at his own prime, but even a younger Tyson would still have gotten outboxed by Lewis at his best

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2007, 09:58:54 AM »
Mike was probably the best in the world....end of story