Author Topic: Penn To Fight Sherk Or Stevenson For Title In January  (Read 1645 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Penn To Fight Sherk Or Stevenson For Title In January
« on: October 19, 2007, 03:04:53 AM »
Former UFC welterweight champion BJ Penn might not grace the Octagon at Dec. 29’s UFC 79 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The popular Hawaiian lightweight, who once tangled with current UFC light heavyweight fighter Lyoto Machida at heavyweight in Japan’s K-1 HERO’S, might be moved to fight a month later during UFC’s Super Bowl weekend festivities.

Penn (11-4-1) will face either UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk (31-2-1) or contender Joe Stevenson (28-7-1). On Oct. 31, Sherk appeals a yearlong suspension handed down by the California State Athletic Commission for steroid use following his successful July 7 title defense over Hermes Franca (18-6) at UFC 73 in Sacramento, Calif. If Sherk is unable to get a reduced suspension, Stevenson confirmed to The Fight Network last month that he he will step into the role if need be.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: Penn To Fight Sherk Or Stevenson For Title In January
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 04:06:15 AM »
they need to get that fight between penn and sherk on the way... who the hell wanna see "daddy" fight penn? thats a joke. he almost lost to luke cummo on TUF season 4 for christ sake...

Z

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 04:32:37 AM »
they need to get that fight between penn and sherk on the way... who the hell wanna see "daddy" fight penn? thats a joke. he almost lost to luke cummo on TUF season 4 for christ sake...

Stevenson will destroy BJ. Bj is too lazy to be a fighter, Joe will wear him down.
E

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 04:49:16 AM »
not very likely
Z

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 08:19:13 AM »
Like it's been said when BJ is motivated he is the best pound for pound fighter in the world. IMO.. he is the man and a work horse. If he wants to be. He will own Joe.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 09:26:22 AM »
Stevenson will destroy BJ. Bj is too lazy to be a fighter, Joe will wear him down.

BJ is so far out of Stevenson's league it's not even funny. Not a chance.

titusisback

• Getbig V
  • Team Ban Mom Lostabet
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 02:28:06 PM »
Like it's been said when BJ is motivated he is the best pound for pound fighter in the world. IMO.. he is the man and a work horse. If he wants to be. He will own Joe.

How is anyone better than Fedor, no matter how you measure it? Penn, while great at best, has lost tons of fights. Pound for pound is just a nice way to complement the smaller weight class guys.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 02:45:23 PM »
BJ is so far out of Stevenson's league it's not even funny. Not a chance.

I will be taking all sig bets on my man Joe! :)
E

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 02:45:54 PM »
i wouldnt say he lost a ton of fights, but yeah 3 losses in his last 5 fights doesnt look good.
he's overrated, especially here on the mma board  :D

still he's way better than stevenson though, not that its saying much. as ive said before, he'll lose against sherk.
Z

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 03:42:18 PM »

Sherk=beast

how are Sherks hands though? i cna see BJ winning the satnd up.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 05:03:39 PM »
Sherk=beast

BJ has underated stand up, great footwork, and HEAVY hands.  BJ's losses were to some pretty tough guys.  Pulver (decision), Machida (decision) fighting up three weight classes here, GSP (decision), Hughes (TKO), he was killing Hughes prior to the rib injury.  He has beaten some pretty good fighters.  Din, Caol Uno, Serra, Bang, Gomi, Renzo, Rodrigo,Hughes, Pulver.  WHEN MOTIVATED he is one of the best P4P fighters in the world.  Totally unique skillset.  Extreme flexibility, great TD defense, good hands, and Mundial winning level BJJ. 

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 05:42:05 PM »
Sherk=beast

what stand up

Z

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 07:47:26 PM »
I interviewed Sherk this afternoon at the weigh-in. He says BJ is next, even though the CSAC doesn't rule on Sherk's appeal until Oct. 23rd. Dana has Sherk's back on this though, so it's pretty safe to assume it's BJ 1st, then Big Daddy.
BigNationRadio.com

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 07:50:49 PM »
thats great news. i really want that fight to happen
Z

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 08:08:07 PM »
Sherk=beast

Sherks got some decent boxing, he's got a quick left hook counter to the jab, and on occasion, he'll stay in the pocket and flurry.  He's always got his hands up and real close to his face, tight little boxing defense.  The only down fall, he doesn't have too much on those punches.  The Diaz fight shows what he can do on his feet when he's not looking to just take you down and keep you there.
Predictions
 40/61

Danny

• Getbig V
  • The original Superman
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 08:39:54 PM »
BJ would maul Stevenson..... :-[ I really hope he gets to fight Sherk, much better match. D
"What we do in life ECHOES in eternity "

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2007, 05:25:06 PM »
I will be taking all sig bets on my man Joe! :)

Yea good bet though when you lose you'll be nowhere to be found. Your credibility is about as good as Goodrum's.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2007, 07:48:40 PM »
Yea good bet though when you lose you'll be nowhere to be found. Your credibility is about as good as Goodrum's.

It's just a sig bet man, I happen to like Joe in this fight. I will honor it if the fight comes to fruition and someone wants to bet me. I know you are friends with BJ, I just happen to like Joe in the fight, nothing more, nothing less. If you wish to attack my character you can do it in the other boards, this board is for MMA talk. Also, I don't recall reneging on anything thus far ???
E

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 10:36:59 AM »
i like joe. with some time i think he could be a champion one day. if i were him though. i would take my time and improve before i took a shot.
irongearco.com

nuyork143

• Getbig III
  • Ill get inside your face...
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 02:18:30 PM »
Even if Sherk gets a reduced suspension he should still lose the belt for the use of steroids to begin with.
Listen here SMALL BALLS!!