Author Topic: More on Turkey - Pelosi Makes Political Misstep in Reversal on Armenian Genocide  (Read 1504 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
 The two meetings House Speaker Nancy Pelosi attended before a vote on a resolution labeling the massacre of Armenians in Ottoman Turkey a genocide foreshadowed the biggest political misstep of her speakership.

In the hours before a House panel approved the resolution Oct. 10, Pelosi was told in a tense meeting with Turkey's ambassador that the vote would endanger his country's alliance with the U.S. She had a warmer session with an Armenian cleric and representatives of Armenian-Americans, who have a large presence in her home state of California. In both, she made clear she intended to bring the resolution to a full House vote.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601070&sid=aD5_dx1DQhrA&refer=politics

This woman is a danger. This is what happens when people get well beyond their abilities. 240/Decker - this is what I ment by treason and stupid in another post.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
A few thoughts on this one.

Her statements are in direct conflict with the White House, who admits they wont condemn the killings because of military and economic reasons.

Her statements are in direct agreement with most of the rest of the world, who agrees serious genocide is occurring.

She's morally/factually correct, but governmentally wrong.  Her words are bad for the White House, but by 300 other nations and most moral codes, correct.

That's why politics is such a weird beast.  History will view the genocide as genocide.  Most of us could see the piles of bodies and call it that. But to agree now is treason.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
fact, this happened close to 90 years ago..why are we discussing what amounts to ancient history that the United States had already condemned some 85 or 90 years ago...why would congress (repub or dem) risk f**king up the relationship with a very close ally for something so long ago is beyond me...sometimes common f**king sense needs to take priority over what amounts to a political pissing match...whoever said that the people running the country are the best and brightest needs to slapped around a bit. 
footloose and fancy free

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Basically what rocky said. Yeah I think anubody can say it was horrible, but at this point don't drag it up for no reason. We need our bases there. The Af base there is a major stop-over and resupply base for us in the middle east.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Pelosi is irresponsible.

But treasonous?  No.

Pelosi often does what's morally and constitutionally RIGHT.  Bush often does not.  Before anyone drops the "T" word, they should look at the behavior of BOTH parties.  Anyone who routinely uses the T-word is a fcking moron.  I remember during 2004 campaign, people called Kerry a traitor at the drop of a hat.  A fcvking war vet who spoke the truth on war crimes, then devoted his life to public service.  Whether you believe with his political positions or not - to call someonea  traitor because you disagree with them makes you a POS.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
And I'd ask u to check ur facts..or more to the point check the facts that kerry made comments on. Nothing was ever proven during the Winter Soldier hearings..he lied about what he saw. The things he said were almost quoted from a script created by anti-war nutbags months prior the  hearings before Congress. I'm sorry but when u have troops serving the country in combat and u make statements that will harrm them, or encourge the enemy, or worse, aid and comfort, thats treasonous or very very misguided. I'll compromise and say seriously misguided with real ramifications. Pelosi is not doing anything thats Constitutionally right. The founding fathers would have strung her up.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=NzZkYzNjNmViOWFlZTgxMWIyN2I3YTZhYzZiOTllMzg=

More....

There are three relevant questions concerning the Armenian genocide.

(a) Did it happen?
(b) Should the U.S. House of Representatives be expressing itself on this now?
(c) Was House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s determination to bring this to a vote, knowing that it risked provoking Turkey into withdrawing crucial assistance to American soldiers in Iraq, a conscious (columnist Thomas Sowell) or unconscious (blogger Mickey Kaus) attempt to sabotage the U.S. war effort?
L

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
The two meetings House Speaker Nancy Pelosi attended before a vote on a resolution labeling the massacre of Armenians in Ottoman Turkey a genocide foreshadowed the biggest political misstep of her speakership.

In the hours before a House panel approved the resolution Oct. 10, Pelosi was told in a tense meeting with Turkey's ambassador that the vote would endanger his country's alliance with the U.S. She had a warmer session with an Armenian cleric and representatives of Armenian-Americans, who have a large presence in her home state of California. In both, she made clear she intended to bring the resolution to a full House vote.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601070&sid=aD5_dx1DQhrA&refer=politics

This woman is a danger. This is what happens when people get well beyond their abilities. 240/Decker - this is what I ment by treason and stupid in another post.

That's not treason....my god, come to your senses, it's bad timing.   

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
headhuntersix
Getbig IV

Bring back the Randy ratio - GO
PATS

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
That's not treason....my god, come to your senses, it's bad timing.   

how about bad decision making...she's the speaker of the house for god's sake..she SHOULD have a bit more sense than she has recently shown...but she's really shown herself to be nothing more than a banal political hack who is completely powerless to do anything meaningful but continue to offer criticisms but never a solution.
footloose and fancy free

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Its called a bad timing now..eventually she or that idiot Reid will do something that will kill a whole lot of American's on this side of the pond. I'd rather not wait. She's an idiot.
L

OzmO

• Getbig V
Its called a bad timing now..eventually she or that idiot Reid will do something that will kill a whole lot of American's on this side of the pond. I'd rather not wait. She's an idiot.

Yes, but you called it treason.

What is then?

Treason or idiocy or bad decision making or poor timing?

Treason is typically defined as betraying your country in a way that causes it harm.

Are you subjecting your self to neo-con propaganda when you casually accuse her of treason for making a poor decision/timing to condemn genocide?

should she be hung now?

Are you suggesting that anyone with any opinion outside that of a conservative or republican view point is guilty of treason?

OzmO

• Getbig V

how about bad decision making...she's the speaker of the house for god's sake..she SHOULD have a bit more sense than she has recently shown...but she's really shown herself to be nothing more than a banal political hack who is completely powerless to do anything meaningful but continue to offer criticisms but never a solution.

I agree.

politically, that was about as incompetent as it gets.  She needs to fire her advisers, or maybe she just ignore them. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Imagine, someone making insane judgement calls that end up getting thousands of American troops kills ::)  Hard to fathom someone is dumb enough to do that... Oh wait, nevermind ::)

GR

• Getbig II
ok,the Armenian genocide is true
so are the crimes in (once)Kurdistan
and the slaughter in Smirni(1922)
and the invasions in north Iraq.
But who cares when millions are murdered by a barbaric,millitary controled country,you need your bases to fight "terrorism".RIGHT?
TEAM NASSER!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
you need your bases to fight "terrorism".RIGHT?
no, pretty much we just want to rule the world like every other power hungry Dictator Decider through history...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
And I'd ask u to check ur facts..or more to the point check the facts that kerry made comments on. Nothing was ever proven during the Winter Soldier hearings..he lied about what he saw. The things he said were almost quoted from a script created by anti-war nutbags months prior the  hearings before Congress. I'm sorry but when u have troops serving the country in combat and u make statements that will harrm them, or encourge the enemy, or worse, aid and comfort, thats treasonous or very very misguided. I'll compromise and say seriously misguided with real ramifications. Pelosi is not doing anything thats Constitutionally right. The founding fathers would have strung her up.

Yep. 

Re Kerry, we didn’t' just have troops in combat, we had POWs being held in Vietnam. >:(