Author Topic: In the market for a new laptop...price is no object.  (Read 5693 times)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
Re: In the market for a new laptop...price is no object.
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2007, 10:05:31 PM »
Time to bounce.  Goodnight kids.  Thanks again...
w

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 10:50:48 PM »
I would only use it while traveling.  The rest of the time I would be using my office or home PC.  I'm starting to think MAC...

Based on your articulated criteria “ultraportable high performance” I would suggest you visit an Apple store and check out both the 13” Macbook and the 15” Mackbook Pro.  The 17” Mackbook is good as a desktop replacement, but if your primary use for the computer is when you travel then I think 17” will prove too big; lugging that much size around can get old real fast.

Once you decide between the 13” Macbook and 15”MB Pro leave the store and place your order online. I prefer ordering online because you can customize the machine according to your needs and you can’t do that if you buy off the shelf in the store.

In my experience, you get the most (longest usable life) from your laptop if you max it out so I recommend that you configure it with the biggest hard drive possible and as much RAM as you can afford.

As has been said, these new laptops can run Mac OSX and Windows.  If you plan to run Windows, that is another reason to get the biggest hard drive and most RAM you can afford.  As time goes by, you will be adding more and more files to your computer—you don’t want to run out of HD space prematurely or find out that you don’t have enough RAM to do X two or three years from now.

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2007, 10:54:28 PM »
Bay do you find that most homosexuals prefer Macs?  Serious question. 

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2007, 10:58:58 PM »

Because macs are traditionally the choice for fags.

I mean that in both contexts :)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007, 11:15:16 PM »
No matter what get a 17" screen.  I only use a laptop.  But I have to have my wireless trackball.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2007, 11:23:33 PM »
if you get a 17 you're going to have a heavy laptop.  I have a dell 17 with the 1900x1280 screen.  Its great but it is rather bulky.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2007, 06:38:50 AM »
Based on your articulated criteria “ultraportable high performance” I would suggest you visit an Apple store and check out both the 13” Macbook and the 15” Mackbook Pro.  The 17” Mackbook is good as a desktop replacement, but if your primary use for the computer is when you travel then I think 17” will prove too big; lugging that much size around can get old real fast.

Once you decide between the 13” Macbook and 15”MB Pro leave the store and place your order online. I prefer ordering online because you can customize the machine according to your needs and you can’t do that if you buy off the shelf in the store.

In my experience, you get the most (longest usable life) from your laptop if you max it out so I recommend that you configure it with the biggest hard drive possible and as much RAM as you can afford.

As has been said, these new laptops can run Mac OSX and Windows.  If you plan to run Windows, that is another reason to get the biggest hard drive and most RAM you can afford.  As time goes by, you will be adding more and more files to your computer—you don’t want to run out of HD space prematurely or find out that you don’t have enough RAM to do X two or three years from now.

That's great advise...thanks.  I'm about 80% sold on a mac.  Question: can you run MS OFFICE on OSX? I love the new features of EXCEL, PowerPoint & OUTLOOK and would hate to give them up.  Also, is it worth getting a mac if you end up running windows on it?

No matter what get a 17" screen.  I only use a laptop.  But I have to have my wireless trackball.
As for 17" screens, I need ULTRAPORTABLE.  I already have a desktop replacement notebook.  I need light & small with performance.
w

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2007, 07:17:12 AM »
That's great advise...thanks.  I'm about 80% sold on a mac.  Question: can you run MS OFFICE on OSX? I love the new features of EXCEL, PowerPoint & OUTLOOK and would hate to give them up.  Also, is it worth getting a mac if you end up running windows on it?

As for 17" screens, I need ULTRAPORTABLE.  I already have a desktop replacement notebook.  I need light & small with performance.

Yes to Office - new version is on it's way too. Windows runs well on a Mac too either with Paralells or Boot Camp (now out of beta and included with Leopard)
15" would suit you best if you travel a lot - 17" can be cumbersome on flights etc. Avoid the glossy screen option - reflections are a pain.

What you are getting with any Mac is a far superior operating system, though you are paying a premium on the hardware in comparison to Windoze machines. If you go with a Mac, DO NOT buy extra ram from Apple, as they charge an extortionate price for it. Get it from crucial.com.

The saying "Once you go Mac, you never go back" is true!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2007, 07:25:39 AM »

I cannot verify that hypothesis.  Most of the guys I’ve dated seriously have been PC users.  :(

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
  • Violence is not the answer. It is the question.
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2007, 07:28:10 AM »
Alienware.
The answer is "yes".

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2007, 07:46:51 AM »
I want an ultraportable high performance machine.  What do you guys suggest? Sony VAIO TZ150N?  Dell XPS M1330?

Go with Dell. I supported about 30 people on a Windows 2003 environment and they like their Dell XPS. it's easy to deal with. sony vaio is just a pretty face.
Get Big, or Die Trying

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2007, 07:50:09 AM »

Yes, you can.  You can run MS Office in OS X or you can run MS Office in Windows.  Of course, in order to do this, you will need both Office for Mac and Office for Windows.  As long as you have the installation disks, you can install applications that work on either operating system.

Something you should know about running Windows on a Mac. 
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html
The machine comes out of the box running Mac OS.  You will need to configure it to run PC software by installing windows on it (you will need to buy/furnish your own Windows installation disks).

Once you install Windows, each time you restart the computer, you will have the choice to run Mac OS or to run Windows--You cannot run both OSes at the same time.

I have a good friend who was a long time PC user, but he got a black Macbook and he runs both OS X and Windows and he loves it.

As much as I love Macs, if your plan is to use it to run Windows 100% of the time, a PC might be a better choice.  That said, I think once you start using it as a Mac you’ll find your desire to use Windows will diminish over time.  In any case, if you get a Mac you will have the choice to run Mac OS or Windows.  No PC laptop can offer that choice.

Based on your responses in this thread so far if were you, I would get a 15” Macbook Pro with a 200GB hard drive and 4GB of RAM.  Without any educational discounts that configuration will run you $3,299 but you did say previously that price was not a concern.

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2007, 07:54:51 AM »
Get the Atari 800 laptop
-
It costs 19k, but you said price was concern

heres the specs

Dual Quadcore 6950 intel processors @ 4 ghz overlocked

8 gig of 2ghz ram

2 nvidea Geforce 9800 (dx10) each with 2 gig of ram, running at 1.4 ghz oced

9 inch screen super high def - 2560 by 1600

and 64 kb hard disk!

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2007, 07:56:27 AM »
I want an ultraportable high performance machine.  What do you guys suggest? Sony VAIO TZ150N?  Dell XPS M1330?
Dude,

Whatever you do, don't buy a Dell. I've had to trash three of them, all within 18 months of purchase. I guess my learning curve resembles a flat line because I kept buying them until I picked up a Gateway. If price was no object though, I agree with most people here who recommend a Macbook. No viruses, no crashes, no hassles. Easy to use. And most importantly, no more dealing with all of the ridiculous Microsoft crudware filling up your computer and grinding it to a screeching halt.

Once you go Mac you never go back.
BigNationRadio.com

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2007, 08:01:27 AM »
Dude,

Whatever you do, don't buy a Dell. I've had to trash three of them, all within 18 months of purchase. I guess my learning curve resembles a flat line because I kept buying them until I picked up a Gateway. If price was no object though, I agree with most people here who recommend a Macbook. No viruses, no crashes, no hassles. Easy to use. And most importantly, no more dealing with all of the ridiculous Microsoft crudware filling up your computer and grinding it to a screeching halt.

Once you go Mac you never go back.

lol...holy shit. which model did you buy, ED? I think the XPS is pretty good for people who use microsoft products. Well, I'm only saying this because most of these dell are on a CORPORATE NETWORK which means they're all patched up, and encrypted. So I don't know how they perform for personal use
Get Big, or Die Trying

the choad

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • King Of All Meltdowns
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2007, 08:19:31 AM »
http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=5&l2=64&l3=412&l4=0&model=1667&modelmenu=1

BUY an ASUS Laptop...They make some really nice super portable..ASUS usually make motherboards that are in higher end machines...Most consumers never heard of the company..Just look around the internet for the best price on it..

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2007, 08:40:38 AM »
Yes to Office - new version is on it's way too. Windows runs well on a Mac too either with Paralells or Boot Camp (now out of beta and included with Leopard)
15" would suit you best if you travel a lot - 17" can be cumbersome on flights etc. Avoid the glossy screen option - reflections are a pain.

What you are getting with any Mac is a far superior operating system, though you are paying a premium on the hardware in comparison to Windoze machines. If you go with a Mac, DO NOT buy extra ram from Apple, as they charge an extortionate price for it. Get it from crucial.com.

The saying "Once you go Mac, you never go back" is true!

which is why i stick with Mont Blanc pens and good stationary

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2007, 09:03:59 AM »
which is why i stick with Mont Blanc pens and good stationary

I trust you write with nothing less than their "Mystery Masterpiece"?

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2007, 10:00:49 AM »
I've been buying Dells for 5 yrs.  They're okay, but after 3 yrs they Sloooooooow the fuck down.  The one I have right now takes over five minutes to boot up...unacceptable.  I'm ready for something new. 

I think I'll go to a MAC store over the weekend...
w

qiniz

• Getbig II
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2007, 10:07:30 AM »
alienware

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2007, 10:08:44 AM »
working in the consumer electronics industry here at the office...i've heard nothing but praise about apple products. More and more of our business partners are going mac because of the disgust for vista. If you're going pc get something retro'd out with xp pro....not vista. That's enough to turn me off any pc from the start. Dell sucks balls. Our company has a contract wiht dell and all their stuff has been shit for the past years.  The xps series are such power hogs that if they're not over heated they're eating batteries down in about 2 hours or less if you're watching a DVD.

g3,g4,prototype g5's we've seen, and the macbook pro's are all fantastic machines. Working with pc's and getting flooded with all makes everyday, I'd say go with mac.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2007, 10:21:42 AM »
forget the idea of running Windows on a Mac.  You'll pay for a full Window's Vista license, and after a couple of weeks you'll never use it. 

A 17 inch MacBook Pro is not bulky.  It's only an inch thick and weighs 6.8 pounds.   Nothing wrong with the base configuration.  2 GB and 180 MB is more than enough.  Unlike Vista, OSX doesn't take up much space.   When ordering online, I use http://macmall.com, but after you pay for shipping, you're really not saving too much money.  Just go to your local Apple Store and walk out with a new laptop.

for word processing you have the choice of Apple's iLife ($79), Windows Office ($399), or various flavors of the free Open Office.  I use NeoOffice (as I said, free), and can read and write most any Word, Excel or PowerPoint file.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2007, 10:46:36 AM »

nooo you want the fastest machine with the best internet connection...

try and get one built that offers a T1 or T2 to your wireless ethernet port...r you really gonna use all the other features you pay for on the damn thing...

i reckon that when u say best you mean fast...shop specific to your needs...i can fill my pantry with all kinda shit but its of no use to me unless i eat that damn stuff eh..dammit man u have been in the bbing industry long enough to understand specifity

and personally i dunno much about end user devices but if possible stay away from microsoft....its a shit product..go linux or unix...
carpe` vaginum!

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2007, 10:57:39 AM »
g3,g4,prototype g5's we've seen,

the G5 hasn't been available for a while.  Now all Macs use Intel chips.    The top of the line Mac Pro comes with two Quad-core Xeon chips.   Unless you're doing video special effects or scientific number crunching, you'll never need that much power.  The iMac is more than enough for almost all home needs.  But beware, the 24" iMac is a beautiful machine, but doubles as a space heater.    The MacMini is a great machine.

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2007, 11:24:03 AM »
IBM thinkpad
The Number 2 in Scranton