Author Topic: Expired Protein Powder  (Read 4570 times)

Albeit

• Getbig II
Expired Protein Powder
« on: October 26, 2007, 08:32:21 PM »
Even though this may have been answered before, i am too lazy to look it up.  So, that being said, i bought this protein powder that must have been real close to being expired, and now it is expired and i'm stuck with it.  Being a cheap bastard, i'd rather just finish it up, it is almost a year expired (yes i am an idiot for not checking).  So is it worth it to keep using it, or does it lose so much potency that it ends up being garbage?

jondy

• Getbig I
Re: Expired Protein Powder
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 09:02:44 PM »
Was it sealed or had it been opened before? I definetly wouldn't use it if it was all ready opened. To tell you the truth, I, personally, probably wouldn't use it at all. But it's up to you to take a chance on it.

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 12:22:48 AM »
There is a difference in expiry date and shelf life with about 6months of safety worked in.
This applies for most supplements and medicines.
Once you are more than 6 months over be carefull.

Rydawg

• Getbig I
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 03:55:33 AM »
Stay away from it. I once drank a packet of Myoplex, not realizing that it was a year expired. I was nauseous and on the toilet for three days.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 05:55:37 AM »
There is a difference in expiry date and shelf life with about 6months of safety worked in.
This applies for most supplements and medicines.
Once you are more than 6 months over be carefull.

I LOVE "expired" protein powder, especially when I get it from GNC. That's the kind that GNC has to mark down in price.
Plus, if it's Gold Card Week, you get 20% off the marked-down price. That's how you can get 5-lb jugs of ON 100% Whey (Gold Standard) or 4-lb jugs of NITRO-TECH for $20, when they normally retail for $45-$50.

Right now, I have a big jug of GNC Mega Whey, which normally retails for $65. I got it for $28.

Another of my favorites are the "expired" RTDs, namely from ABB Nutrition. Marked down, I've purchased them for as little as $0.80 a piece. Same goes for IsoPure's RTDs. One product I really miss is the bottled RTDs of NITRO-TECH, in grape and fruit-punch flavors. About 4 years ago, I could get them for $4 for a 4-pack. They tasted a lot better than the canned ones, which are still around.

I don't see how you still have that protein powder. Normally, when I get my marked-down stuff, it's usually gone before the shelf-life date, even it's within a month after I buy it.

Albeit

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 04:23:26 PM »
I almost forgot about this thread, anyways, yeah since 99% of protein powder tastes horrible to me anyways, it's not like i would notice a difference that way.  But you guys are probably right, i should just throw it out.

Mark from LP

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 08:03:49 PM »
IMO a year is quite a while for protein to go beyond expiry. 6-8 months would be about as far as you would want to go. At a year the protein wouldn't be poisonous, but it wouldn't be as potent or effective as if it was fresh.

Trying it would be taking a chance, but only a small chance in my opinion. Maybe some stomach upset, but that is the most you should see.

If you still have protein that long after purchase it looks like you aren't working out enough. To me that should be a bigger concern than expired protein :)

SWOLETRAIN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 01:03:16 PM »
actually protein has a really really long exp date. normally much longer than whats printed on the tub
-

kukacomone

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 01:13:49 PM »
I heard expired protein powder is okey for ~half year.