Author Topic: WILL A-ROD EVER WIN THE BIG ONE? OR WILL HE ALWAYS HAVE THE MONKEY ON HIS BACK?  (Read 3494 times)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V

Bonds is done w/o getting it . . . will A-Rod follow suit?

rk272727

• Getbig IV
Bonds is done w/o getting it . . . will A-Rod follow suit?
  only way is if boston signs him. he is done with the yankees
b

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V

you think boston's going to win another one soon? 

i guess theo knows what he's doing better than the yank front office.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
you think boston's going to win another one soon? 

i guess theo knows what he's doing better than the yank front office.

um yeah they might win one real soon.. ;)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
um yeah they might win one real soon.. ;)

half an hour ago doesn't count.  ;) ;)

Geo

• Getbig IV
half an hour ago doesn't count.  ;) ;)

that was kind of funny

body88

I think Arod is a fantastic player. He will win one. This may be a good thing for the yankees.

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
I'd like a monkey on my back. Would make for fantastic conversation.

But please for it to be small monkey.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
I think Arod is a fantastic player. He will win one. This may be a good thing for the Yankees.

I say no way. First off, no matter what team you play for, it's never a guarantee that you're making the playoffs after a 162 game season. Getting to the playoffs in major league baseball is a hell of an accomplishment(and often overlooked), no matter the team or the circumstances. Secondly, A-rod has been to the post season a half a dozen times and never has performed well.

If A-rod is always going to be viewed as the team's best player, then's he's the main reason for getting that team to the playoffs if they make it to the post season. If he continues to struggle when he gets there, how is it possible he's ever going to win?

body88

I say no way. First off, no matter what team you play for, it's never a guarantee that you're making the playoffs after a 162 game season. Getting to the playoffs in major league baseball is a hell of an accomplishment(and often overlooked), no matter the team or the circumstances. Secondly, A-rod has been to the post season a half a dozen times and never has performed well.

If A-rod is always going to be viewed as the team's best player, then's he's the main reason for getting that team to the playoffs if they make it to the post season. If he continues to struggle when he gets there, how is it possible he's ever going to win?

Payton Manning won the superbowl last year and he played like shit in the playoffs again. He has been playing like shit in the playoffs for his entire career. More then half a dozen times. It was said time and time again before last season Manning would never win the big one. Take it from me , I saw the pats make him shit his pants on several occasions live. If Brady was taken you would not want Manning on your team? Of course you would.

I'm not saying Arod will be a red sock. I'm not saying anything. Sometimes a change of philosophy and or atmosphere can make a difference. Look at Papi.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
Why use football as a point of comparison? We're talking two entirely different sports, especially where the team concept is less involved when A-rod is up to bat on offense.

I'm not saying A-rod will be a Red Sox either. I was debating the issue of whether A-rod will ever win a World Series.

I say no for the reasons I previously posted. A change of scenery didn't help A-rod make it to the playoffs with Texas, did it? Nor did he perform well in the media spotlight when he came to the Yankees.

body88

Why use football as a point of comparison? We're talking two entirely different sports, especially where the team concept is less involved when A-rod is up to bat on offense.

I'm not saying A-rod will be a Red Sox either. I was debating the issue of whether A-rod will ever win a World Series.

I say no for the reasons I previously posted. A change of scenery didn't help A-rod make it to the playoffs with Texas, did it? Nor did he perform well in the media spotlight when he came to the Yankees.

Why use football? I am using Payton Manning as a comparison. Manning has to make throws just like Arod has to get hits to help his team win. Manning has played like crap in the playoffs for his entire career. Last year he finally overcame his awful play in the first two games to lead his team to a sb victory. A choker qb is far more detrimental to a football team then a choker at the plate. See Julio Lugo for proof.

For years everyone said Manning will never win the big one. He always will fold under pressure. The scenario is the exact same. Different sports don't mean anything. Both guys put up huge regular season numbers, then yakked in the playoffs time and time again. My point is the guy will eventually break through. Manning broke through now he is playing with confidence. Arod is an extreme talent.

Arod played on a bad texas team. As for playing in NYC, given the circumstances I would think the year arod just had was huge. The newspapers ruining the guys life coulden't have helped his cause. How is guy supposed to succede when the fans treat him like yankees fans did at times? Arod destroyed the ball regular season under the pressure this year. The clear cut MVP. It's not like Arod is the only reason the yankees cant win anything. Arod has far to much talent to struggle forever in the postseason. A place where he can fit in better might help that. maybe thats the Angels, maybe the cubs. JUst because he did not fit in when he played in NYC does not mean he is cursed forever.

mass 04

• Getbig V
I think so, IMO he didn't have the mindset to play in NY during October, if he goes to a team that is a player or two away in a more "laid back" city such as Anahiem or even Detroit than yes I think he has a decent shot.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
Why use football? I am using Payton Manning as a comparison. Manning has to make throws just like Arod has to get hits to help his team win. Manning has played like crap in the playoffs for his entire career. Last year he finally overcame his awful play in the first two games to lead his team to a sb victory. A choker qb is far more detrimental to a football team then a choker at the plate. See Julio Lugo for proof.

For years everyone said Manning will never win the big one. He always will fold under pressure. The scenario is the exact same. Different sports don't mean anything. Both guys put up huge regular season numbers, then yakked in the playoffs time and time again. My point is the guy will eventually break through. Manning broke through now he is playing with confidence. Arod is an extreme talent.

Arod played on a bad Texas team. As for playing in NYC, given the circumstances I would think the year arod just had was huge. The newspapers ruining the guys life couldn't have helped his cause. How is guy supposed to succeed when the fans treat him like Yankees fans did at times? Arod destroyed the ball regular season under the pressure this year. The clear cut MVP. It's not like Arod is the only reason the Yankees cant win anything. Arod has far to much talent to struggle forever in the postseason. A place where he can fit in better might help that. maybe thats the Angels, maybe the cubs. Just because he did not fit in when he played in NYC does not mean he is cursed forever.

Jesus. My eyes started to hurt reading all that. A-rod won't ever win a world series. You say he'll "break through". When? He's 32 and not getting any younger. The Yankee's were probably his best bet to win it and now that won't happen. Any team that signs him will have to allocate at least 35% of the team's payroll to put him under contract. He will also demand an ownership stake as well with any new contract he signs in the future.

With all of that being said, A-rod's main motive is MONEY, not winning a championship. He can't succeed as the main man on any team because he shrinks in the spotlight on the biggest stage. When he was with the Mariners, he shared the spotlight with Griffey and actually played quite well in the postseason.

Now? Forget it. He's king of the regular season, but a little bitch princess when the stakes are at their highest. He doesn't care about winning. If he did, he never would have gone to Texas in the first place.

Just my two cents, Mr. Moderator.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."

Assuming he avoids injury, he's going to have a long career.

So, he's going to have several more chances to be part of a winning team.  He's made it clear he only wants to play for contenders. 

Gotta love his attempts to upstage the World Series, though.  Jackass.

Eric15210

• Getbig IV
  • poor people are crazy I'm eccentric
A-Rod would choke on jello
Yankees better spending that money on pitching
RIP Bob Probert