Author Topic: Taste of the Wild Dogfood  (Read 2953 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Taste of the Wild Dogfood
« on: October 31, 2007, 06:39:34 AM »
Flower have you heard of this?  A store near me just started carrying it.

www.tasteofthewildpetfoo d.com

R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Re: Taste of the Wild Dogfood
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 08:23:36 AM »
no.

quick glance:

High Prairie Canine Formula
Bison, venison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes,

at least first 4 ingredients are meat

Pacific Stream Canine Formula
Salmon, ocean fish meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, canola oil, salmon meal,

2/4  :P

Wetlands Canine Formula
Duck, duck meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, chicken fat

4/4

Rocky Mountain Feline Formula
Chicken meal, peas, sweet potatoes, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potato protein,

1?  peas and sweet potatoes for cats? 

Happy that it is grain free, not impressed substituting them with sweet potatoes and peas.  :P

All the crapple manufactures are jumping on the "natural" band wagon.  Too bad they still muck it up and it is still crap!!
   ;D

lol @ their slogan

Taste of the Wild
   The Balance that nature intended             ::)

they should get sued for false and misleading statements of their products!   >:(

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 08:29:51 AM »

Flavor (natural)
Made from dried liver. Sprayed on the outside of the kibble.

::) I believe all kibbles have to spray the crapple with flavor because most dogs wouldn't even eat it if they didn't   ;D

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 10:00:07 AM »
Thanks for the info...so Chicken Soup line is still your pick for crapple?
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 10:09:47 AM »
lol @ crapple     ;D  (I'm soooo funny!   ;D)

The High Prairie one doesn't seem too bad.  It meets the first 4 ingredients are meat based criteria.

Are you feeding CS now?   

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 11:46:35 AM »
lol @ crapple     ;D  (I'm soooo funny!   ;D)

The High Prairie one doesn't seem too bad.  It meets the first 4 ingredients are meat based criteria.

Are you feeding CS now?   

yes I did lol @ crapple ;D

Yes, I'm feeding Chicken Soup now
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
yes I did lol @ crapple ;D

Yes, I'm feeding Chicken Soup now

Problems with it?  Are you looking to switch? 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 01:12:47 PM »
Problems with it?  Are you looking to switch? 
No problems....just wondered if the other stuff was better
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 01:16:11 PM »
No problems....just wondered if the other stuff was better

I don't think so by a cursory glance, at least not with the one formula.  I would stick with the CS.  If you were having a problem or something I would say try that one formula.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 01:22:39 PM »
I don't think so by a cursory glance, at least not with the one formula.  I would stick with the CS.  If you were having a problem or something I would say try that one formula.
OK thanks!
R

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 07:43:50 PM »
oscar loves his pork and veggies Flower, his tripe and his beef and bone too!
X

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 07:15:02 AM »
oscar loves his pork and veggies Flower, his tripe and his beef and bone too!

yeah!!!    :D     I have a gift certificate I need to use from them before it expires.

Probably get some beef n bone and some tripe.
  :)

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 09:02:27 AM »
Flower when would be a good time to start a puppy on raw?  Can you really do that from 8 weeks on?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 09:42:01 AM »
Flower when would be a good time to start a puppy on raw?  Can you really do that from 8 weeks on?

Raw feeders that breed start them on raw as soon as they can eat solid foods. They usually get their first taste by seeing what their mom is eating.   :)

Tad went on raw food the day I brought him home and so did Emmett when I got him.   Depending on the size of the puppy some grinding may be necessary. Emmett was started on chicken wings and chicken parts, but for Tad I had to grind even the chicken for a few weeks, he tried to chew the necks up though!  Emmett was 27# at 8 weeks so he was able to tackle the chicken parts fine.

This is Emmett with his very first raw meal:

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 11:24:50 AM »
Is it hard to make the transition if a breeder was not feeding raw?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 11:45:43 AM »
Is it hard to make the transition if a breeder was not feeding raw?

I had no problems with any of my 4.  Briona was on kibble when I first got her.  I actually looked into raw because of her. She didn't like kibble, and I tried a few brands!!  On a dog board someone suggested raw.  She was about 10 or 12 weeks old when I switched her.  I gave her a chicken back and she tore into it like she was starving (which she was since she would eat only a little kibble).   Emmett ate it no problem, Addie did no problem, and Tad did too.  I didn't have to encourage any of them.  I have heard of some older dogs needing the food to be lightly cooked at first for them to eat, but most will eat it no problem (most dogs will eat anything actually!!  ;D)  They each do have their own tastes and won't eat certain foods, but all will eat enough for variety in their diet.  The only one who really likes liver is Tad, and Tad has not met a food he doesn't like yet! Addie and Emmett will eat it, but Briona will actually pick it out of her bowl with her front teeth like it is vile.  What's funny is if one of the others comes to see what she has left she will try and force herself to eat it so they don't get it but she will still spit it out!  I chop it up into little pieces now and mix it into the ground muscle meat or tripe meals so she can't pick it out. 

I have the opportunity to get a deer "frame" for free (just a cost to have it cut into manageable pieces if I want that done, I don't think I can hack a deer up  :P) but I wonder if they will try it or refuse it because it is "different"?   Tad would probably eat it, but that would be alot of deer for a 6# Chi!!

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 05:25:32 PM »
Oscar hates liver and wont eat it on a bet!
X

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 09:17:16 PM »
I had no problems with any of my 4.  Briona was on kibble when I first got her.  I actually looked into raw because of her. She didn't like kibble, and I tried a few brands!!  On a dog board someone suggested raw.  She was about 10 or 12 weeks old when I switched her.  I gave her a chicken back and she tore into it like she was starving (which she was since she would eat only a little kibble).   Emmett ate it no problem, Addie did no problem, and Tad did too.  I didn't have to encourage any of them.  I have heard of some older dogs needing the food to be lightly cooked at first for them to eat, but most will eat it no problem (most dogs will eat anything actually!!  ;D)  They each do have their own tastes and won't eat certain foods, but all will eat enough for variety in their diet.  The only one who really likes liver is Tad, and Tad has not met a food he doesn't like yet! Addie and Emmett will eat it, but Briona will actually pick it out of her bowl with her front teeth like it is vile.  What's funny is if one of the others comes to see what she has left she will try and force herself to eat it so they don't get it but she will still spit it out!  I chop it up into little pieces now and mix it into the ground muscle meat or tripe meals so she can't pick it out. 

I have the opportunity to get a deer "frame" for free (just a cost to have it cut into manageable pieces if I want that done, I don't think I can hack a deer up  :P) but I wonder if they will try it or refuse it because it is "different"?   Tad would probably eat it, but that would be alot of deer for a 6# Chi!!

Interesting.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 05:16:47 AM »
Addie and Emmett will eat it, but Briona will actually pick it out of her bowl with her front teeth like it is vile.  What's funny is if one of the others comes to see what she has left she will try and force herself to eat it so they don't get it but she will still spit it out!  [/color]

haha! 

Great pic of Emmett too
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 08:27:12 AM »
haha! 

Great pic of Emmett too

Everybody ate their liver this week.   Something must be up.   :-\