Author Topic: isn't your squat supposed to be...  (Read 2485 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
isn't your squat supposed to be...
« on: November 01, 2007, 07:55:33 AM »
more than your deadlift?!  ???  I finally pulled 675 yesterday off teh floor and it took almost 15 seconds to complete it...I had ALOT of shaking up past the knees but just kept on driving my hips through and pushing my sternum up and out.  Now alot of numbers I've seen along with totals and such have the squat as the big one...the dead lift next and then the bench. It's obvious why the bench is smaller but why is the squat stronger than the deadlift for most? Writing this I started to think about the rebound effect you get in the movement at the bottom of the squat PLUS you get more from your gear in the squat versus just picking up the weight in the dead lift. Am I spot on in that assumption? I have people telling me I should be squatting in the 700's with the pulls I make and I don't even think I could crack 600.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: isn't your squat supposed to be...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 10:28:29 AM »
more than your deadlift?!  ???  I finally pulled 675 yesterday off teh floor and it took almost 15 seconds to complete it...I had ALOT of shaking up past the knees but just kept on driving my hips through and pushing my sternum up and out.  Now alot of numbers I've seen along with totals and such have the squat as the big one...the dead lift next and then the bench. It's obvious why the bench is smaller but why is the squat stronger than the deadlift for most? Writing this I started to think about the rebound effect you get in the movement at the bottom of the squat PLUS you get more from your gear in the squat versus just picking up the weight in the dead lift. Am I spot on in that assumption? I have people telling me I should be squatting in the 700's with the pulls I make and I don't even think I could crack 600.

it really depends on how much you weigh and your proportions.   Shorter heavier people tend to be able to squat more relative to deadlift.  The taller a person is (to a degree) the better their deadlift gets as a result of leverage (and proportionately long arms).  Again thats too a point....   

Also, your assumptions are correct. 

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 01:19:47 PM »
I agree it depends on your own personal bio mechanics.
I can dead more than I squat, but it has a lot to do with my bone structure.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 01:25:08 PM »
i don't know anyone who outpulls their squat. in the raw PL realm it's almost unheard of unless you've got a massive imbalance (giant quads, no hams). hell, ronnie coleman pulled 800x2 in one video, but need a suit to squat the same. there are a few exceptions, i think brian siders is one.

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 05:09:47 PM »
Raw deep squat < deadlift, even for people with great squat biomechanics.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 08:06:57 PM »
Raw deep squat < deadlift, even for people with great squat biomechanics.

Thats not true. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 09:47:32 PM »
i don't know anyone who outpulls their squat. in the raw PL realm it's almost unheard of unless you've got a massive imbalance (giant quads, no hams). hell, ronnie coleman pulled 800x2 in one video, but need a suit to squat the same. there are a few exceptions, i think brian siders is one.

You meant outsquat their pull.

And I agree.

The only ones that raw squat more than they deadlift, are dwarfs, and dwarf-like people.

As empty as paradise

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 10:32:07 AM »
You meant outsquat their pull.

And I agree.

The only ones that raw squat more than they deadlift, are dwarfs, and dwarf-like people.

dammit, that explains why people stare all the time....

I disagree with your blanket statement Hedge.  I does vary based on proportion, but I've always squatted more than I pulled, even when I was a skinny highschool kid and less dwarf-like than I am now days.  Its based on height in relation to torso to leg proportion and arm length.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 09:15:03 PM »
Thinking about getting my arms lengthened. Would that bring my dead up? :-\

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 01:26:22 AM »
dammit, that explains why people stare all the time....

I disagree with your blanket statement Hedge.  I does vary based on proportion, but I've always squatted more than I pulled, even when I was a skinny highschool kid and less dwarf-like than I am now days.  Its based on height in relation to torso to leg proportion and arm length.

That's impressive.

You fcuking dwarf. ;)

Just kidding, obviously you're correct about the bio-mechanics being the key. Size of hands also being an issue - generally why "little people" (I think that is the politically correct term) does not fare well in powerlifting, eg one guy squatted well over 600 lbs, benchpressed 400+ and deadlifted... 280. First time I saw those numbers I was like "WTF?"

Obviously, an extreme example.
As empty as paradise

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 09:07:21 AM »
So you think if they just used straps that their dead would equal their squat numbers?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 02:07:34 PM »
So you think if they just used straps that their dead would equal their squat numbers?

In the case of "little people", I would have to say yes, or at least close. Their deadlifts would be like a rack deadlift, a high rack deadlift, if they were allowed straps.

Check out the size on Stanaszek, squatting 620+ lbs:

Of course, they usually have short arms as well. But it looks like Stanaszek still would have a short lift IMO, and importantly, the bar would start above the knees (:o).
As empty as paradise

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 07:57:51 AM »
I've never been able to squat near what i deadlift RAW.

In a suit it's a different story though.

8)