Author Topic: A&E pulls 'Dog' series from schedule  (Read 1223 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
A&E pulls 'Dog' series from schedule
« on: November 03, 2007, 11:53:39 AM »
Say it ain't so Dog.  He disappoints me.   :-\

Nov 3, 12:59 PM EDT
A&E pulls 'Dog' series from schedule

By JAYMES SONG
Associated Press Writer

HONOLULU (AP) -- Television bounty hunter Duane "Dog" Chapman's show has been pulled from the air indefinitely by A&E, two days after a private phone conversation in which the reality star used a racial slur repeatedly was posted online.

"In evaluating the circumstances of the last few days, A&E has decided to take `Dog The Bounty Hunter' off the network's schedule for the foreseeable future," the network said in a statement Friday. "We hope that Mr. Chapman continues the healing process that he has begun."

A&E officials said the series, one of the network's top-rated programs, has not been canceled.

Chapman, 54, has been under fire and accused of being a racist ever since the private conversation with his son, Tucker Chapman, was posted online Wednesday by The National Enquirer. Chapman used the N-word repeatedly about his son's black girlfriend.

At least two advertisers have pulled out from the show and civil rights groups have called for its cancellation.

Soon after the clip was posted, Chapman issued an apology and A&E suspended production of the series.

In the conversation, Chapman urges Tucker to break up with his girlfriend. He also expresses concern about the girlfriend trying to tape and go public about the TV star's use of the N-word. He used the slur six times in the first 45 seconds of the five-minute clip.

Chapman has said he was "disappointed in his choice of a friend, not due to her race, but her character. However, I should have never used that term." He also said he was ashamed of himself and pledged to make amends.

His attorney, Brook Hart said his client is not a racist and vowed never to use the word again. Hart said Tucker Chapman taped the call and sold it to the Enquirer for "a lot of money."

David Perel, the Enquirer's editor in chief, would not comment on how it obtained the tape.

Civil rights leaders said they were not satisfied with the removal of the show from A&E's schedule. A coalition of groups in Los Angeles sent a letter to network executives Friday demanding a cancellation.

The coalition said the comments were more than racially demeaning and hurtful to black women. "They are a vicious attack on and call to end interracial relations, as well as an incitement to violence," the letter said.

Earl Ofari Hutchinson, president of Los Angeles Urban Policy Roundtable, said the coalition believes Chapman's language was much more damaging than shock jock Don Imus' comments.

Imus was fired by CBS in April over his "nappy-headed hos" remark about the Rutgers University women's basketball team. Citadel Broadcasting Corp. Thursday announced Imus' return to radio in December.

"If they can essentially say, 'We're firing Imus in the front door and bring him in the back door later on,' they can also do the same with this guy and his show," Hutchinson said. "It seems like to me A&E is keeping their options open."

The TV series follows Chapman and his tattooed crew as they track down bail jumpers in Hawaii and other states. The show also stars some members of Chapman's family, but Tucker Chapman is not regularly featured.

The Honolulu-based bounty hunter first grabbed headlines for apprehending serial rapist and Max Factor heir Andrew Luster in Mexico in 2003.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PEOPLE_DUANE_CHAPMAN?SITE=HIHAD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: A&E pulls 'Dog' series from schedule
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 12:46:28 PM »
didnt his son leak that?

monster short term thinking for a girl.

family before women.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 08:34:32 PM »
His son apparently sold the tape to the National Enquirer. 

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 07:04:33 AM »
why would he do that?  sheesh
X

Purge_WTF

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 08:37:22 AM »
  Serves him right.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 10:08:07 AM »
why would he do that?  sheesh

It’s all about the Benjamins.  What his father said was pretty cruel and the kid evidently made a lot of money while teaching his father a very expensive lesson.  Pretty ironic that he was talking about losing his show in the tape and that is precisely what happened. 

Still, I wouldn't have done it.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 07:42:55 PM »
Rough week for the Dog.  He needed this. 

Posted at 5:09 p.m., Monday, November 5, 2007

Judge halts 'Dog' Chapman's extradition to Mexico

By PAUL ELIAS
Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO — Television bounty hunter Duane "Dog" Chapman, who had his reality show taken off the air after getting caught using a racial slur, will not be extradited to Mexico to face a pending appeal on kidnapping charges against him, a judge ruled Monday.
The U.S. government was trying to send Chapman, his son Leland Chapman and a third man to the resort town of Puerto Vallarta, where they were charged with kidnapping Andrew Luster, a Max Factor heir who had jumped a $1 million bond on charges that he drugged and raped three women. Luster's disappearance during his trial in Ventura set off an international manhunt by police, FBI and bounty hunters trying to recoup some of the bond money.

On June 18, 2003, Chapman and the other men apprehended Luster, and the fugitive was taken back to the United States to serve the 124-year sentence he was given while on the lam.

But because bounty hunting is illegal in Mexico, prosecutors in that country charged the three with kidnapping and asked U.S. authorities to arrest the trio and ship them to Puerto Vallarta.

On July 27, a Mexican judge dismissed the charges, ruling that Mexican prosecutors had taken too long in their attempts to bring the trio to trial. But the U.S. attorney's office in Honolulu, where the senior Chapman lives, declined to dismiss the extradition proceedings because Mexican prosecutors are appealing the judge's ruling.

Still, U.S. Magistrate Judge Barry Kurren in Honolulu on Monday dismissed the extradition attempt because the judge said the trio are no longer charged with any offenses, despite the appeal.

"I don't think they have any regrets whatsoever in facilitating the capture of Mr. Luster, who is a known and convicted rapist," his San Francisco lawyer, James Quadra, said Monday. "Though this has been a difficult process, they are proud of what they have done."

Quadra declined to comment on the tempest Chapman created last week when he was caught on tape using the racial epithet.

A&E pulled Chapman's show "Dog the Bounty Hunter" from the air indefinitely after a private phone conversation between the reality star and his son was posted online.

Chapman, 54, has been under fire since The National Enquirer posted a clip of Chapman using the n-word repeatedly about his son's black girlfriend. Chapman apologized and vowed to never utter the word again, but at least two advertisers have pulled out from the show and civil rights groups have called for its cancellation.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Nov/05/br/br8435692017.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 07:53:47 AM »
‘Dog’ apologizes in cable appearance
By Rosemarie Bernardo
rbernardo@starbulletin.com
In an often-tearful interview aired live on Fox News' "Hannity & Colmes" talk show yesterday, Duane "Dog" Chapman stared into the camera and apologized for using the N-word in a taped conversation made public last week.

"This Dog can learn," he said after claiming that his use of the pejorative phrase was more in the spirit in which blacks use it among themselves -- a stance he said he has now abandoned.

The apology comes a few days after Chapman released a written apology to the public after he used the N-word multiple times in a phone conversation with his son, Tucker, referring to Tucker's girlfriend, Monique Shinnery. Chapman's son sold the tape to the National Enquirer, which released it a week ago.

"First of all, I owe Monique and Tucker an apology," said Chapman, star of the show "Dog the Bounty Hunter," suspended by A&E as a result of the fiasco. "My son knows my heart. Second of all, of course, the black people in America I owe an apology to. Whether how dark I think I am, I cannot say that word. I owe the rest of the people, whether they're black or not, in America an apology because people looked up to me. I've learned a lesson."

Chapman's appearance on the show was his first since the taped conversation was made public. He said that he wanted to apologize in person and felt that a written apology wasn't enough.

"I will do everything there is in my power to make sure that people have forgiven me. I will not stop until they say, 'Dog has been forgiven.' I am sorry," he said.

Chapman added: "I thought I was cool enough in the black world to be able to use that word as a brother to a brother. I'm not."

"I didn't really know until three or four days ago what that meant to black people," he added. "Of course, I know the story, I know America's story, but I never realized that that's like stabbing a black person in the heart. I would never do that to any kind of person."

An interview the National Enquirer conducted with Shinnery, who is black, aired during the program, in which she said: "I believe that Duane is a racist 'cause I've heard many times what he says about me, not just this one time, but a lot of things he says and a lot of things he does."

"I think it was good for A&E to take him off the air because he portrays to be a role model and he's not. He's the exact opposite," she added.

The Rev. Tim Storey, a friend of Chapman's, appeared on the show and said Chapman is not a racist. While Storey, who is black, said he was shocked to hear the taped conversation, he said, "I know deep down in his heart, he didn't mean it."

Meanwhile, at least two more companies -- Dr. Frank's Joint & Muscle Pain Relief and SiCap Industries LLC -- pulled ads off Chapman's show. The show was pulled off the air Friday while network officials conduct an investigation. It has not been canceled.

Chapman is scheduled to do a second live televised interview at 4 p.m. today on CNN's "Larry King Live."

http://starbulletin.com/2007/11/07/news/story04.html

Purge_WTF

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 07:57:23 AM »
  I saw a little of the Hannity interview with Dog last night. Hard to tell which was the bigger asshole.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 10:20:32 AM »
‘Dog’ apologizes in cable appearance
By Rosemarie Bernardo
rbernardo@starbulletin.com
In an often-tearful interview aired live on Fox News' "Hannity & Colmes" talk show yesterday, Duane "Dog" Chapman stared into the camera and apologized for using the N-word in a taped conversation made public last week.

"This Dog can learn," he said after claiming that his use of the pejorative phrase was more in the spirit in which blacks use it among themselves -- a stance he said he has now abandoned.

The apology comes a few days after Chapman released a written apology to the public after he used the N-word multiple times in a phone conversation with his son, Tucker, referring to Tucker's girlfriend, Monique Shinnery. Chapman's son sold the tape to the National Enquirer, which released it a week ago.

"First of all, I owe Monique and Tucker an apology," said Chapman, star of the show "Dog the Bounty Hunter," suspended by A&E as a result of the fiasco. "My son knows my heart. Second of all, of course, the black people in America I owe an apology to. Whether how dark I think I am, I cannot say that word. I owe the rest of the people, whether they're black or not, in America an apology because people looked up to me. I've learned a lesson."

Chapman's appearance on the show was his first since the taped conversation was made public. He said that he wanted to apologize in person and felt that a written apology wasn't enough.

"I will do everything there is in my power to make sure that people have forgiven me. I will not stop until they say, 'Dog has been forgiven.' I am sorry," he said.

Chapman added: "I thought I was cool enough in the black world to be able to use that word as a brother to a brother. I'm not."

"I didn't really know until three or four days ago what that meant to black people," he added. "Of course, I know the story, I know America's story, but I never realized that that's like stabbing a black person in the heart. I would never do that to any kind of person."

An interview the National Enquirer conducted with Shinnery, who is black, aired during the program, in which she said: "I believe that Duane is a racist 'cause I've heard many times what he says about me, not just this one time, but a lot of things he says and a lot of things he does."

"I think it was good for A&E to take him off the air because he portrays to be a role model and he's not. He's the exact opposite," she added.

The Rev. Tim Storey, a friend of Chapman's, appeared on the show and said Chapman is not a racist. While Storey, who is black, said he was shocked to hear the taped conversation, he said, "I know deep down in his heart, he didn't mean it."

Meanwhile, at least two more companies -- Dr. Frank's Joint & Muscle Pain Relief and SiCap Industries LLC -- pulled ads off Chapman's show. The show was pulled off the air Friday while network officials conduct an investigation. It has not been canceled.

Chapman is scheduled to do a second live televised interview at 4 p.m. today on CNN's "Larry King Live."

http://starbulletin.com/2007/11/07/news/story04.html
I didn't see the interview.  What was your take on it, Beach?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 11:18:59 AM »
I didn't see the interview.  What was your take on it, Beach?

Didn't see the interview either, but I've read excerpts from the Fox and CNN interviews.  I am not impressed.  The man is obviously a bigot.  If you listen to the tape it is clear he has issues with black folks.  He should have just come out and said I have issues, I'll work through them, etc.  I can actually respect that.  And if the things allegedly mentioned by his ex-wife and others are true, he can forget about coming back on the air.  It's unfortunate, because I like the guy.  He does good work.   

He's taking a lot of heat over here too.       

nuyork143

• Getbig III
  • Ill get inside your face...
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 03:26:51 PM »
Well if we cant use the "n" word ::), then niether should the "n"'s.  Its a retarded fucking word and NOONE should use the shit.  I am sick of walking down the street and hearing two black guys talk, all I hear is "Shit, this niga this and this niga that"  Its fucking retarded.
Listen here SMALL BALLS!!

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 07:52:39 PM »
No piece of ass is worth the pain and shame that he has brought to his dad and family.  Using that word in private, even as just a word, should not make him lose his business when it makes rappers rich.  I guess Jackson and Sharpton should never spit rhymes in public again because they are certainly bigots themselves.  I'm sorry, racism is bad but moves like this only piss off people who truly hate black people and the word N igger was probably said about 20x more after this report and clip were released.  Shit, Rosie O'Donnell didn't get fired for her "Ching Chong" comments and those were racial as hell.  She didn't call them any direct racial names but she was out of line but hey, she's an overweight loud mouth lesbian so firing her would be bigotry too right?   ::)
Squishy face retard

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 07:09:23 PM »
The Dog is back. 

Posted on: Thursday, May 15, 2008
Dog Chapman show returning
Network announces July 16 return date for 'Bounty Hunter' show
By Dan Nakaso
Advertiser Staff Writer

The fifth season of the reality show "Dog the Bounty Hunter" begins airing July 16 with a contrite Duane "Dog" Chapman vowing to regulate his words, swear less and pay a penalty every time he does.

"You know the saying, 'Sticks and stones can break your bones and names will always hurt you?' I've learned that," Chapman said yesterday at a media availability announcing the resumption of the A&E reality series, which chronicles the adventures of Chapman and his Honolulu bounty-hunting crew.

"The Bible says the tongue is the most powerful member of the body," Chapman said. "That's absolutely true. I've learned to watch my mouth and watch the names I use, whether they be racial or whatever. You can hurt people's feelings just with your mouth."

On Nov. 2, A&E suspended the show — one of its highest rated — after Chapman used the n-word when referring to his son Tucker's African-American girlfriend. The private call had been recorded and Chapman apologized afterward.

The new season includes a penalty jar at Chapman's Da Kine Bail Bonds on Queen Emma Street awaiting a cash contribution each time Chapman swears.

His wife, Beth, interchangeably called it "the swear jar" and "the 'F' jar" yesterday.

Asked what the "F" stood for, Beth said, "The Florida fund. His children would love to go to a trip to Florida."

"Each word has its own price tag," Beth Chapman said. "We have a lengthy list that's still going to hit him."

Episodes of "Dog the Bounty Hunter" typically include plenty of bleeped-out words, and Duane Chapman did not promise yesterday that he would never swear again. Neither did Beth.

When he tells Beth that she should watch her language, too, "I tell him, 'You said you'd stop swearing. I never said I'd stop swearing,'" Beth Chapman said.

Yesterday's media availability included some of Chapman's bounty-hunting children: Leland, Duane Lee and "Baby" Lyssa. guy Innis, national chairman of the Congress of Racial Equality, also granted interviews and showed his support for Duane Chapman.

. . .

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080515/NEWS01/805150339&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL