Author Topic: My pits ear.  (Read 2168 times)

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
My pits ear.
« on: November 04, 2007, 10:11:14 AM »
Just the other day out of nowhere my pitbulls ear is now forward. Both her ears were "rose" style then one day i noticed the one was hanging forward like a "button" style ear. What gives? Did her ear get bigger? Is it swollen? She is around 4 months old, i didnt figure her ear would change like that being as old as she is.

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
Re: My pits ear.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 09:11:41 PM »
thx for the reply stella. Gives me a better understanding. Not that its important in the big picture but Id rather see her have both ears doing one thing of the other.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 08:21:46 AM »
I'm having a hard time picturing the ears?

But natural ears in general don't always lay "right".  And naturally standing ears don't always stand.  Tad has one ear that is usually flopped but he can get it to stand up straight sometimes.   Addie my female dane with natural ears are not "flat" they kind of bunch up and stick out on the sides.  ::)   Some natural eared dane people will tape the ears under the chin to get them to lay right.   
:D

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 11:07:55 AM »
Yeah it just was out of nowhere her ear started laying like that, just got me wondering what could be different about it that made her carry it that way, or if it was something about the ear itself.

http://www.littleshelter.com/homepagestories/medicalmiracles/pitbullpups.jpg

It looks like the puppy on the right. One ear forward one back.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 11:28:22 AM »
you can fold it back.   Sometimes Addie's will do that, like turn inside out like a sock, but she shakes her head and they go back.  It's not stuck like that is it? :-\

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 11:36:12 AM »
no its not stuck like that, it just happens to be how shes carrying it right now I dunno what the deal is. I dunno whether the ear is growing in a different way or something but its now consitantly like that unless she puts them back extremely far it falls forward.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 11:40:02 AM »
I would turn it right side out when you notice it.   Never heard of a dog having one permanently like that.  I bet at least one of Addie's does that daily though.

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 11:43:04 AM »
yeah it may just be some goofy thing while she is growing. I've been putting it back when i can.

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 06:45:23 AM »
No shes not in any pain. I was just kinda thrown off by here ear just one day sitting all goofy after laying normal for so long.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 08:02:44 AM »
you can fold it back.   Sometimes Addie's will do that, like turn inside out like a sock, but she shakes her head and they go back.  It's not stuck like that is it? :-\

I had a beagle when I was a kid with ears liek that----on that stood up (as high as it could for a beagle) one that flopped down.  he also had one blue eye and one brown eye and one testicle.  He was a hunting machine.  Ugly as hell, but man he could hunt.  ;D ;D

Anyway, its normal in most breeds of puppies.  As long as the cartilage of the ear itself isn't thickened or swollen, its a result of tightness in the muscles that control ear movement---sort of like a muscle twitch.  Just give it some time and the puppy will generally grow out of it.  I dont' think anyone knows the cause.  You tend to see it in large breed dogs with "big heads" like pits, boxers, rotties and GSD's.  It may be  result of temporalis muscule tightness also, pulling the ears forward.  Like I said, I don't think anyone knows what really causes it.   My own pit puppy had major "erect ears/floppy ear" problems when she was between 16 and 36 weeks of age.  She grew out of it.  . 

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 08:12:39 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone  ;D, i know it seems really minor but i appreciate all the feedback. Just wanted to know what was going on with my baby.