Author Topic: STICKY THIS!!! MUST HAVE WESTSIDE INFO!  (Read 2129 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
STICKY THIS!!! MUST HAVE WESTSIDE INFO!
« on: November 04, 2007, 07:06:12 PM »
WHEN I RECIEVED THIS I FELT LIKE I WON THE FUCKING LOTTERY!!  ;D

the best explaination to date for those of us like me that are confused...I wanted to share!

MONDAY-LOWER BODY MAX EFFORT

Choose one of the following exercises. Do 3-4 sets of triples, increasing to three-rep max, then do progressivley heavier singles to failure:

Close-strance GM's
Sumo-stance GM's
GM's (using chains)
GM's with added bands
Seated GM's
Rack Pulls (deadlift lockouts in the rack), close or sumo stance
Front Squats
Zercher Squats
Good Morning Squats

Choose one of the foloowing six exercises for 4-6 sets of 5-8 reps.
Stiff-leg deadlifts.

Romanian Deadlifts
Glute-ham raises
Lunges
Back extensions
Cable pull-throughs

Do a heavy abdominal exercises for 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.

Standing cable crunches with a rope or bands
Weighted leg raise
Roman-chair crunches
Landmine rotations* (or any other similar exercise)

(Optional) Pick a second abdominal exercise from the above list for 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.

* A landmine is a popular piece of equipment with wrestlers and martial artists. If your gym doesn't have one, you can do this: place the end of a 45-pound bar in the corner, grab the other end and rotate it overhead from one hip to the other.

WEDNESDAY: UPPER BODY MAX EFFORT

Choose one of the following exercises. Do 3-4 sets of triples, increasing to three-rep max, then do progressivley heavier singles to failure:

Board presses (up to four boards thick)
Close-grip bench presses
Incline presses
Floor presses
Bench presses with chains
Bench presses with bands added
Bench press lockouts (set pins in power rack)

Choose one of the following triceps exercises for 4-6 sets of 6-10 reps.

Lying triceps extensions (elbows out)
Incline close-grip bench presses
JM presses
Dumbell floor presses
Dumbell triceps extensions on the floor

Choose one of the following six exercises for 3 sets of 8-12 reps.

Military presses
One-arm seated presses
Shrugs
Front raise
Lateral raise
Dumbell cleans

(Optional) Choose one of the following seven exercises for 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.

Barbell rows
Dumbell rows
T-bar rows
Chest-supported rows
Seated cable rows
Lat pulldowns
Chins

Choose one of the following rear deltoid exercises for 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps.

Seated bent-over lateral raises
Standing pulldowns to face
Reverse flyes with bands
Reverse pec-deck flyes

(Optional) Prehab (to prevent injuries) exercises (such as external rotation with bands) and light triceps pushdowns for 2-3 sets of 20 reps.

FRIDAY: LOWER BODY DYNAMIC EFFORT

Do the following exercise for 6-8 sets of 2 reps at approximately 50-60% of 1RM (week 1: 50%, week 2: 52.5%, week 3: 55%, week 4: 57.5%, week 5: 60%, then test for a new 1RM).

Box Squats

Choose one of the following exercises for 4-6 sets of 5-8 reps.

Partial deadlifts
Stiff-leg deadlifts
Romanian deadlifts
Glute-ham raises
One-leg squats
Lunges
Back extensions

Do a heavy standing abdominal exercise such as standing cable crunches with a rope or bands for 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps. (Otional) Pick a second abdominal exercise for 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.

Do the following exercise for 5 sets of 5-8 reps.
Reverse hyperextensions (combination of wide and narrow foot spacing).

SUNDAY: UPPER BODY DYNAMIC EFFORT

Do the following exercise for 6-8 sets of 3 reps at approximately 40-50% of T-shirted 1RM (week 1: 40%, week 2: 42.5%, week 3: 45%, week 4: 47.5%, week 5: 50%, then test for a new 1RM).

Bench presses

Choose one of the following triceps exercises for 4-6 sets of 6-10 reps.

Lying triceps extensions (elbows out)
Incline close-grip bench presses
JM presses
Dumbell floor presses
Dumbell triceps extensions on the floor

(Optional) Do a second triceps exercise for 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps.

Triceps pushdowns
Incline barbell triceps extensions
Seated dumbell triceps extensions
Reverse-grip pushdowns

(Optional) Do one of the following exercises for 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.
Seated cable rows
Barbell rows
Dumbell rows
T-bar rows
Chest-supported rows

Choose one of the following rear deltoid exercises for 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps.
Seated bent-over lateral raises
Standing pull-downs to the face
Reverse flyes with bands
Reverse pec-deck flyes

(Optional) Prehab (to prevent injuries) exercises (such as external rotation with bands) and light triceps pushdowns for 2-3 sets of 20 reps.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Re: STICKY THIS!!! MUST HAVE WESTSIDE INFO!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 04:14:48 PM »
Thats putting it plain and simple. Nice find. It doesnt look exactly what I did but once again you have to customize it yourself. Whether or not its completely laid out. Its a great place to start though and takes a lot of the guess work out of those damned articles! :D

STICKY THIS NOW, PLEASE!

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 01:55:27 PM »
BUMP!

Good stuff here people!

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 09:53:38 PM »
Thats putting it plain and simple. Nice find. It doesnt look exactly what I did but once again you have to customize it yourself. Whether or not its completely laid out. Its a great place to start though and takes a lot of the guess work out of those damned articles! :D

STICKY THIS NOW, PLEASE!

Yeah, its somewhat different from what I know from talking with people, reading Louies articles, and the stuff posted on Elitefts.   The biggest difference I see is the percentages for the DE training----those numbers are much lower---I've typically seen a cycle of something like Week1 (for bench): 60%, Week 2: 60%, 1 set at 70%, Week 3: 60%, 1 set at 70%, 1 set at 80%, repeat this for 3 cycles then test maxes.  For DE Squat: do 55%, 60%, week 3: 65%, 1 set at 75%, 1 set at 85%, repeat for three cycles and test maximal strength.  Now these percentages will change/go down slightly if bands or chains are used. 

The ME days are also different because you can work for a 5 rep, a 3 rep, or a maximum single as long as you are working towards a new PR.  If you are beat up or injured, work for a 5 rep max PR with a given exercise and give the joints a chance to heal themselves.  If you are strong, go for a single.  Just watch going for a maximum single week in and week out becuase over time, it will tear your joints up.  Traditionally Louie has said keep no single ME exercise longer than 3 weeks, however the last couple of years he's advocated changing exercises as frequently as once per week for highly experienced lifters. 

To me, (I've been following a westside template just under two years now after years of training progressive overload/5x5 and stagnating---and I've consistantly made solid gains on all 3 lifts during that time, even while training injured and with my crazy work schedule), the real beauty of Westside is the PR focus of the ME days.  You get into the mindset of setting a record.  It doesn't matter if its a 5 rep, a 3 rep, or a max single, just so long as its a record.  You constantly have new goals to strive for and accomplishments to attain.  You basically train your body, but you also train your mind to push beyond what you got the last time.   The other great thing about it is the changin of the exercises prevents stagnation.  When I was doing Grimwood/progressive overload type training, Id make it 4-5 weeks with an exercise and then that'd be it.  Everything ground to a stop.  I dont' do this with Westside.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 10:05:41 PM »
This article off Elitefts summarizes Westside training very well: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/a_beginners_guide.htm

The first template I found that really made sense to me is at this link:  http://www.elitefts.com/documents/a_question_of_strength.htm.  It lays things out really straight forward as how to set up a Westside type training plan.  It also has good information on using bands and chains.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 04:35:08 PM »
Im pretty well versed in the conjugate method if youve got questions.

Jason