Author Topic: Billions of Missing Links  (Read 13973 times)

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
Re: Billions of Missing Links
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2008, 08:28:48 PM »
Too bad this book was written by a guy who doesn't know about the fossil record, nor evolution ::)

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2008, 09:16:07 PM »
Thanks mang.   :)

Improbable natural designs:

1.  "The gecko lizard can easily walk along, up, and down any wall, and across any ceiling, without falling.  Electron microscopy has revealed that each lizard has about 500 million suction cups on its toes; each about .0000008 of an inch wide. 

So Gecko feet are 400 inches wide now ???

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2008, 09:25:51 PM »
So Gecko feet are 400 inches wide now ???

Beach Bum has a Ph.D.
I hate the State.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2008, 02:14:40 AM »
Beach Bum has a Ph.D.

It's obviously not in math  ;)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2008, 08:53:20 PM »
Too bad this book was written by a guy who doesn't know about the fossil record, nor evolution ::)
Im afraid i have to agree BB, if you look at the fossil records many many many animals share very similar characteristics throughout the history of the world. This guy or the points you seem to be making from this guys book seem to nit pick at this and that to build up a larger arguement against evolution but it has no smoking gun. It also doesnt seem to point out whats right with evolution, it seems extremely biased and should be interpreted as such.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2008, 10:52:01 PM »
Im afraid i have to agree BB, if you look at the fossil records many many many animals share very similar characteristics throughout the history of the world. This guy or the points you seem to be making from this guys book seem to nit pick at this and that to build up a larger arguement against evolution but it has no smoking gun. It also doesnt seem to point out whats right with evolution, it seems extremely biased and should be interpreted as such.

Tony similar characteristics do not prove macroevolution. 

I don't expect anyone to change their beliefs based on excerpts from this book.  I just find it very interesting.  Some others do too.   

The point of the book is to highlight problems with the theory of evolution.   

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2008, 08:13:57 AM »

I don't expect anyone to change their beliefs based on excerpts from this book.  I just find it very interesting.  Some others do too.   

As opposed to the 'theory' of talking snakes, magic apples and arcanely conjured rib women..... ::)

Beach Bum, you are simply not qualified to say anything about evolution  and if you think you are, head on over to the Biology department at Oxford and MIT and present your case... ::)
I hate the State.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2008, 11:05:06 AM »

I agree BB but the lack of similar characteristics at the same time does not disprove macroevolution as well. It is the logical application of research that has pointed to Evolution. There are far more findings pointing towards Evolution than away from it which is why it continues to be the number one scientific theory to the existance of life.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2008, 11:07:39 AM »
As opposed to the 'theory' of talking snakes, magic apples and arcanely conjured rib women..... ::)

Beach Bum, you are simply not qualified to say anything about evolution  and if you think you are, head on over to the Biology department at Oxford and MIT and present your case... ::)
you still havent commented on my other thread deicide

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=205555.0

here id like to hear what you have to say.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2008, 11:33:36 AM »

::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2008, 11:37:48 AM »
I agree BB but the lack of similar characteristics at the same time does not disprove macroevolution as well. It is the logical application of research that has pointed to Evolution. There are far more findings pointing towards Evolution than away from it which is why it continues to be the number one scientific theory to the existance of life.

There are certain parts of the theory I agree with (parts of microevolution), certain parts I think are possible (the earth being very old), but there are gaping holes in the theory as well.  One of the major problems I have is the entire theory is grounded on a guess.  I've maintained that the origin of life on earth (the very beginning) from both the ID and "goo to you" theories sound like science fiction.  They both require a great deal of faith.     

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2008, 12:21:47 PM »
There are certain parts of the theory I agree with (parts of microevolution), certain parts I think are possible (the earth being very old), but there are gaping holes in the theory as well.  One of the major problems I have is the entire theory is grounded on a guess.  I've maintained that the origin of life on earth (the very beginning) from both the ID and "goo to you" theories sound like science fiction.  They both require a great deal of faith.     

More so or less than believing in God?
Do you think that you can believe in God and Evolution at the same time?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2008, 12:36:13 PM »
More so or less than believing in God?
Do you think that you can believe in God and Evolution at the same time?

About the same.  No one can prove how it all started.  The Bible certainly can't.  It's not a science book.  The Darwinist folks can't prove how it all started either.

Sure it's possible to believe in God and evolution.  Personally, I don't think it's consistent, given that the theory of evolution presumes the absence of God creating the earth, etc., but I know some people believe God may have started this whole process with a spark (or something) and just let things evolve over time.  That's not my view, but I know plenty of people who believe this.   

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2008, 05:03:47 PM »
This whole thread is fucking retarded and as I said just prior, the best and brightest of the scientific community from the best and brightest institutions of learning in the world accept evolution as fact; you think they have missed something they have grasped?
I hate the State.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2008, 06:08:11 PM »
This whole thread is fucking retarded and as I said just prior, the best and brightest of the scientific community from the best and brightest institutions of learning in the world accept evolution as fact; you think they have missed something they have grasped?
lol and i bet the best and brightest have many among them that believe in God as well, contribute or stfu, you still havent answered my question in the "Question to non believers thread"!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2008, 12:46:54 PM »
Treasure Hunt

1.  "There are over a hundred different proteins in leech saliva.  At least one is an anesthetic that completely blocks the would-be pain of their penetration or bite.  Another works as an anticoagulant (blood thinner) that keeps the individual's blood chemicals from setting off a clotting cascade as well as keeping the meal from clotting within their own stomachs.  A third type of protein prevents platelets from getting sticky and clotting off the wound in another fashion.  All accidents of nature that appear to have arrived together?  Quite the coincidence?  One might speculate that leech bites without the pain reliever would not have boded well for the species."

2.  "There's no way to scientifically determine Purpose or the lack of it when it comes to bioprospecting.  An intriguing question remains however:  Why are there so many useful lifesaving items within our reach?  If the Earth were merely a huge collection of dust particles after the big bang, how did it get all these useful products? "

Electricity and Bioluminescence

- Underwater

1.  "About 500 aquatic species use electrical fields for mutual identification, scanning the environment, protection, hunting, killing, mating, and communications.  Water is a better conductor than air, and electricity compensates for poorer visibility, but the range is usually limited to a few meters.
The most famous example has to be the electric eel.  This denizen of the muddy Amazon and Orinoco rivers is not an eel at all, but more related to carp.  It looks like an eel, however, and can grow to eight feet in length.  Along its sides are three separate electric organs that can deliver a total shock of 350 to 650 volts in 1/500 of a second from its tail.  This is enough voltage to stun a human being and kill any prey.  Nerve cells stimulate electrical cells, called electroplaques, which are piled on top of each other like a stack of coins.  Although each only has a 0.1 volt charge, together they can fire off an enormous charge.  They have been known to fry equipment in their tanks.  There is no clear explanation in the theory of evolution."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2008, 01:50:16 PM »
Groundskeepers

Insects

1.  "Flies will start working on the deceased (or dung) within ten minutes of death--they can sense it somehow--and give births to millions of maggots (miniature eating machines) within a day.  They are followed by other types of flies, spiders, and beetles.  Millions of maggots will cover a corpse within a few days.  Some scavengers eat part of the carcass, and hide part for later.  All expel the fecal products, which starts another cycle of smaller scavengers that may be eaten by carnivores and so on down and then back up the food chain.  Among the missing links is how spiders eat.  They secrete their digestive juices, and once their meal is liquefied, they suck the juice up like a kid with a straw in a soda-pop can.  One wonders if predecessors had tried to host of digestive juices, starving all the while, until they genetically found the right one.  It would have taken a massive mutation to create these processes and have them all work together so nicely."

SYMBIOSIS

1.  "Symbiosis describes an unusually close or mandatory association between two or more unrelated species for their mutual survival. . . .  Symbiosis should not be confused with commensalism, which means eating at the same table.  For example, there's a worm that rooms with a hermit crab.  It even shares the same meals, but as best scientists can tell, they are merely an odd couple.  Another extremely bizarre, dot-sized animal called Symbion pandora lives inside a Norwegian lobster's mouth, where it vacuums up passing food particles for itself and reproduces by growing a youngster out its own rear end.  It can also produce a dwarf male that is only a brain and reproductive organs.  No one has the faintest idea what group of animals this species belongs to our how it came about." 

Mutual Dependence

2.  "Just the fact the fact that we require oxygen from plants and they require carbon dioxide from us tells us most of life is a symbiotic relationship.  Our families have a type of symbiotic relationship, as do our co-workers and teammates.  Depending on another species is quite common in Nature."

3.  "A tarantula species in Texas maintains a symbiotic relationship with a frog that is small enough to hop between the arachnid's legs.  Although the tarantula could easily eat the frog, it seems to know somehow that this particular amphibian will protect its eggs from flies and other insects with a flick of the tongue.  Meanwhile, the frog's predators fear the tarantula.  A similar relationship exists between a lizard and a scorpion comfort; the lizard benefits from the scorpion's protection." 

4.  "There are mice that travel around with beetles clamped to their fur like necklaces or brooches.  These beetles eat fleas that infect mice habitats--a meal in exchange for protection.  Wolbachia bacteria, a common symbiont in insects, can actually change the sex of the host insect's offspring."   :o

5.  "The vanilla flavoring found in your kitchen cupboard is a consequence of symbiosis.  The vanilla bean comes from an orchid plant that can only be pollinated by a tiny stinger-free, flea-sized bee that knows how to go under a minute septum and take the pollen to the next plant.  For 300 years Europeans repeatedly failed to grow this plant; now they do it by artificial insemination.  Making things even more difficult is the fact there's only a three-hour window when this flower stays open.  This special bee and very unique plant had to have originated together."     

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2008, 02:12:22 PM »
More on Symbiosis

Sine Qua Non Relationships

1.  "According to evolutionary theory, insects evolved from carnivores (scavengers) who couldn't digest plants.  How would that logically happen?  There is strong evidence that some, and maybe most, insects make use of microbes residing in their stomachs to digest those leaves they seem to love so much.  Helpful and necessary yeast can be found in the guts of sap-sucking insects.  Many insects also have microorganisms in their intestines to detoxify plant chemicals.

Unbelievably, termites, who eat wood from downed trees for sustenance, cannot actually digest wood.  They require a protozoan found in their hindgut to break the cellulose down.  Without this symbiotic relationship they would starve to death.  Newborn termites pick up these protozoa, called mixotrichs, by eating their parents' anal droppings.  One wonders how Darwinists can explain how they learned to do this.  Termites will also lose their personal protozoa when molting and then recapture new ones from the rear ends of friends and relatives.

This story thickens, however.  There is evidence to suggest that the mixotich protozoa cannot get around inside the termite intestines (to eat the wood) without numerous, whiplike tails that actually belong to tiny bacteria attached to their outer wall.

One wonders what the chances are that this three-tiered symbiotic relationship could have happened by accident." 

2.  "There are many variations on these traditional symbiotic themes and even the simplest defy an evolutionary explanation.  One question that readily arises is, how could certain species have ever survived alone or even come about if they needed major help?  Or why did they link up with another species in such a way that they could never extricate themselves again without dying?  And how did they even find such an extremely compatible partner?  For evolution theory to explain these dilemmas, there had to have been uncountable physiological problems, anatomical incompatibilities, and scores of trials and errors until the right pair linked up in the right way.  One might liken this to a diabetic trying to find his lost medications in the Sahara Desert.

Science is relatively silent on these issues."

Next up:  migration and hibernation.