Author Topic: Dieting Tips!  (Read 7533 times)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Dieting Tips!
« on: November 05, 2007, 11:41:41 AM »
The hardest part about dieting for me is maintaining consistency

This includes ALWAYS having food prepared and never ending up in a situation where you need to eat and there is nothing good around you.  This can be especially hard for those of us who work full-time, train a lot, and have family and other important responsibilities to deal with on a daily basis.  Here are a few tricks and tips I have learned over the years.

- GRILL AHEAD:  I usually grill chicken twice a week to last the entire week.  Sundays and Wednesdays (or Thurs) are my grilling days.  Cut several pounds of chicken breasts up into strips or small pieces, throw them on the grill with some Ms. Dash or other dry spices, seal them up in plastic bags or tupperwares, and refrigerate.  They can be used for meals, on salads, whatever, for several days.  Sunday's grill usually lasts through Weds., and then Weds. grill through Saturday.  Some people say that they can't stand chicken unless it's freshly cooked that day, but it's FINE for a few days in the fridge, and when you are really busy with everything else in life, you can get used to pre-cooked chicken pretty easily.

-Grill veggies that will last a couple of days too...asparagus, brocolli, cauliflower, zuchinni, squash, whatever.  I usually wrap up a TON of veggies in aluminum foil with some Ms. Dash and balsamic vinegar...throw them on the grill and then store them in a big tupperware container in the fridge so that you have something to snack on for a couple of days. 

- USE THE SALAD BAR AT THE GROCERY STORE: Food prep, esp veggies, is a total pain in the ass.  Sometimes when you are dieting, you have to pay a little more for convenience.  Save yourself some time (time is money), and use the salad bar to get pre-washed and pre-cut veggies for salads, grilling, or whatever you need.

- FIND A GOOD CHINESE RESTAURANT: Not a hole in the wall chinese fry joint, but find a nice Chinese restaurant that serves high quality food.  Ask them if they will steam chicken, fish, and veggies for you.  You should be able to get steamed chicken and fish with NOTHING on it.  Emphasize this when you order...tell them JUST steamed, nothing else.
This is a GREAT option when you are in a pinch for time.  The Chinese restaurant in my area has a "daily catch," and the steamed red snapper was fantastic...just a steamed fillet, nothing else for about $13, and it would be enough fish for two meals.  During my contest prep, I depended on steamed chicken and fish from the Chinese restaurant for my daily protein probably 2-3 times a week.  It makes life SO much easier!

- USE FROZEN VEGGIES IF NECESSARY: Bags of frozen veggies (green beans, brocolli, asparagus) are clutch when you are dieting.  They can go into the microwave with a little lemon juice, Ms. Dash, and/or balsamic. 
If you go organic with frozen veggies, check the sodium levels!!  I was shocked to discover how much sodium is in some organic frozen veggies...they salt them in order to better preserve them.  "Regular" veggies do not have any sodium in them, although that makes me wonder what other preservatives are in them.    :-\

I'm sure there are others, so let's hear 'em.

:)

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
Re: Dieting Tips!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »
The salad bar at the grocery store, indeed saves a lot of time.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 01:47:04 PM »
(another good thread!)

I hard-boil 18 eggs at a time and put them in the fridge (in the shells).  If I'm only eating them for breakfast (paired w/either oatmeal or Ezekial toast), I only have to do this every 3 days (I peel as needed).

"Older" eggs are easier to peel once boiled, so I try to get the carton as close to the sell-by date as possible.  I usually have 2 or 3 additional 18-egg cartons in the fridge.  If you can only find really fresh eggs, putting salt in the water while boiling is supposed to help them to peel more easily when the time comes.
R

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 07:08:26 PM »
Great stuff and so true.  Grilling ahead and having the stuff made is the key.  I usually cook 2-3 days worth at a time for work.

If you dont bring your food you will either miss meals or eat crap.  I bring water, and 2 meals to work every day.  Either dieting or not it just does not matter.  On my lunch hour I will eat my lunch then take a 50 minute nap everyday, since I work out of my company vehicle mostly this is very easy to do. 

Sometimes around 10:00am after my mid morning break I will get kind of sleepy from the food and the caffine crash from the pot of coffee I drink when I get up, so I will have to take another 20 min. nap at this time.....Safety first!

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 04:11:07 AM »
The most important thing is planning ahead...making sure you don't get yourself in a situation where you have no choice but to eat something crappy.
And Yes, water is extremely important!!

Rampage

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 07:42:53 PM »
You guys seem verry knowledgable...so let me ask a question to yall

Say you are doing Cardio AFTER you weight training session for 45 mins...when should you drink your MRP Shake ?

After the weights and before the cardio or after the cardio? And if its done after the cardio is it too long to wait before your shake is drunk or is it fine ?

???

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 08:54:49 PM »
You guys seem verry knowledgable...so let me ask a question to yall

Say you are doing Cardio AFTER you weight training session for 45 mins...when should you drink your MRP Shake ?

After the weights and before the cardio or after the cardio? And if its done after the cardio is it too long to wait before your shake is drunk or is it fine ?

???

I would wait till after the cardio.  Really the last thing you want to do before cardio is eat anything. It is fine to wait till after the cardio to eat.  45 mins is a pretty long cardio session IMO

Some people will break up the cardio and weight training sessions.  Doing cardio in the morning on an empty stomach and the weights in the afternoon after some feedings and rest, in this scenario you can get to your post workout meal faster.  But these are either very dedicated people or people without regular full time jobs.  The difference will be negligible as compared to just doing your cardio after your training session and just hitting the gym once a day.

Rampage

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 02:14:20 PM »
I would wait till after the cardio.  Really the last thing you want to do before cardio is eat anything. It is fine to wait till after the cardio to eat.  45 mins is a pretty long cardio session IMO

Some people will break up the cardio and weight training sessions.  Doing cardio in the morning on an empty stomach and the weights in the afternoon after some feedings and rest, in this scenario you can get to your post workout meal faster.  But these are either very dedicated people or people without regular full time jobs.  The difference will be negligible as compared to just doing your cardio after your training session and just hitting the gym once a day.

Thats just the thing , normal folk cant hit the gym 2 x in a day

So just one 1 1/2 hr session will have to do

i also heard that cardio after traning is excellent

Thanks for the advice bro , you being a competitor and thing , im sure you know what you talking about

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 05:27:24 PM »
Thats just the thing , normal folk cant hit the gym 2 x in a day

So just one 1 1/2 hr session will have to do

i also heard that cardio after traning is excellent

Thanks for the advice bro , you being a competitor and thing , im sure you know what you talking about

Well thanks for the compliment.  I hope others chime in too so we can get even more info.  I would not really wanna go the gym 2 times a day even if I could, even though I love the gym, but once is enough.

I weight train, hit the cardio for a half hour and drive home and start cooking right away.  Im usually eating about an hour after the weight training.  Helps i live about 4 minuites from the gym  :)

Rampage

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 07:38:28 PM »
whats your frequency and intensity on the cardio  Luv2Hurt?

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 08:41:54 PM »
whats your frequency and intensity on the cardio  Luv2Hurt?

I do cardio 6 days a week year round for the most part. I weight train 5 days a week and usually go in on Friday, a non weight training day for me and do some cardio and abs.  One day a week I do not go to the gym at all. 

I do low intensity 115-125 BPM for 30-32 mins.  When I prep for shows I will keep the cardio the same maybe even a bit less cause the restricted calories have me dropping enough weight as it is.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 08:15:41 AM »
I recommend cardio on an empty stomach in the morning, ideally.  If it's a separate cardio session (not with weight training), I think 45 mins is OK but I wouldn't go more than that.  It doesn't have to be in the gym...it can be a 30-45 minute walk or jog outside. 
If you can't swing that, then definitely cardio AFTER weight training for 30 mins or so at a maximum moderate intensity, and then eat as quickly as possible after that.

Rampage

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 05:06:40 PM »
I do cardio 6 days a week year round for the most part. I weight train 5 days a week and usually go in on Friday, a non weight training day for me and do some cardio and abs.  One day a week I do not go to the gym at all. 

I do low intensity 115-125 BPM for 30-32 mins.  When I prep for shows I will keep the cardio the same maybe even a bit less cause the restricted calories have me dropping enough weight as it is.

How old r u ? Im 27 , so what would be my low intensity heart rate? btw , what body type are you ?  you naturally lean all the time , have a fast metabolism?

I can pick up size quick , but along with fat , whats your recommendation for my cardio ?

Thanks rip , valuable advice aswell.greatful

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 07:07:17 PM »
How old r u ? Im 27 , so what would be my low intensity heart rate? btw , what body type are you ?  you naturally lean all the time , have a fast metabolism?

I can pick up size quick , but along with fat , whats your recommendation for my cardio ?

Thanks rip , valuable advice aswell.greatful

Im 44 YO. Yes get in the 120s and you should be fine any more and there is a chance you will start burning muscle for energy.  My body type?  Well not naturally skinny I can get fat pretty easy  :(  But with weight training a decent diet and some cardio I can stay in decent shape year round.  But I have to keep my metabolism revved up.

I always think of what a BB buddy of mine told me when he would always see me doing cardio.  That is use diet mostly to get fat off.  Too much cardio can interfear with your muscle building golas.  I would do like i do if I was you 30mins cardio after each weight training session.  I would say about 5 cardio sessions per week.  and watch the sugars

Rampage

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 12:59:35 AM »
good stuff big man ! thanks

btw , when you say `good decent shape` do you mean good  ab visdibilty.i just get around to four - as you can see , laid back casual training

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 06:42:37 AM »
good stuff big man ! thanks

btw , when you say `good decent shape` do you good ab visdibilty.i just get around to four - as you can see , laid back casual training

Good question cause "decent shape" varies widely by person.  Decent shape in my eyes is yes abs still visiable 4 is about right, but a layer of fat and water is there.  Also your vascularity will tell lots on your conditioning.  I like to be able to still see forearm and upper arm vascularity, you should still be seeing some viens on you arms.

Man I dont know what I did but right now im about as fat as I like to get Im weighing about 210 right now, some gut fat, but still have quite a bit of vascularity on my legs, this has just started over the last year or 2.  Now if I can just get the rest of me to do that LOL

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 08:57:19 AM »
Good question cause "decent shape" varies widely by person.  Decent shape in my eyes is yes abs still visiable 4 is about right, but a layer of fat and water is there.  Also your vascularity will tell lots on your conditioning.  I like to be able to still see forearm and upper arm vascularity, you should still be seeing some viens on you arms.

Man I dont know what I did but right now im about as fat as I like to get Im weighing about 210 right now, some gut fat, but still have quite a bit of vascularity on my legs, this has just started over the last year or 2.  Now if I can just get the rest of me to do that LOL

I can see a couple of veins in the top of my hands right now.   ;D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2007, 12:08:29 PM »

I can see a couple of veins in the top of my hands right now.   ;D

;D