Author Topic: singlets?  (Read 4016 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
singlets?
« on: November 07, 2007, 08:32:33 AM »
okay how much does a singlet add to your lifts if anything or is it just a mandatory jump suit kinda thing. I'm reading about how I might have to get one for the meet I plan on doing. The rules say I can't just show up in a t-shirt and workout shorts and sneaks. I want to try and snag the collegiate national raw dead record here in the spring. Is it like other gear where you have to train in it to get used to it kinda thing?

???

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: singlets?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 08:47:03 AM »
It's just like a wrestling singlet.

You won't get anything out of it, it's just cloth.

8)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 08:49:05 AM »
It's just like a wrestling singlet.

You won't get anything out of it, it's just cloth.

8)

Okay cool. That's what I was wanting to hear. Apparenty alot of work goes into finding the perfect "gear" and I don't want to do that.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 09:38:20 AM »
Okay cool. That's what I was wanting to hear. Apparenty alot of work goes into finding the perfect "gear" and I don't want to do that.

Yeah and you won't get much out of a suit in the deadlift.

8)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 09:41:34 AM »
Yeah and you won't get much out of a suit in the deadlift.

8)

Which is why I'm starting to think the deadlift is one of the few TRUE tests of strenght.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 12:08:23 PM »
Which is why I'm starting to think the deadlift is one of the few TRUE tests of strenght.

I agree.

i think the deadlift and the clean & press are the best tests for true strength.

8)

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 05:09:35 PM »
Yep thats all a singlet is, is for the rules. Wear it during the bench press / deadlift. I did use a squat suit though.
Masters- 50-54
148#

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 08:07:18 PM »
Probably will just keep you warmed up better. Alter the straps and seams to make it tighter and you have a makeshift squat suit. ;D

Overload, have you tried the new METAL suits for DL? Apparently they help quite a bit off the floor. After that you are on your own.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 07:09:50 AM »
Overload, have you tried the new METAL suits for DL? Apparently they help quite a bit off the floor. After that you are on your own.

No i haven't but i've heard the same. one of my training partners got 60 pounds out of a Metal DL suit, he pulled 635 RAW and 690 in the metal suit. that's alot more than i got out of an Inzer Max DL.

once my knee is back to 100%(ACL reconstruction last april) i will probably give those metal suits a try.

8)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 07:12:20 AM »
Good luck, Overload. Anything having to do with knees sucks! >:(

jong_1

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 07:05:46 AM »
http://www.wwfitness.com/apparel.html - this guy sells very good singlets if you want to avoid flashy logos, etc.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 01:02:47 PM »
Good luck, Overload. Anything having to do with knees sucks! >:(

Thanks.

My strength is coming back slowly but it will be a long time before i compete in anything besides bench.

i've never had any knee problems until i tore my ACL. now i realize how much knee injuries suck!

8)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 05:31:34 PM »
how'd you tear it?!

Bodvar

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 08:34:09 PM »
I agree.

i think the deadlift and the clean & press are the best tests for true strength.

8)

No way, the clean and press is way too technical to be considered a true test of strength.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 08:03:18 AM »
No way, the clean and press is way too technical to be considered a true test of strength.

Compared to?

it requires the largest amount of muscle groups to perform. I'm basing my opinion on how difficult the exercise is to perform and you need alot of raw strength to do this movement.

how many guys do you that can clean and press 400 pounds? not many.

8)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 08:04:01 AM »
how'd you tear it?!

Playing indoor soccer on turf last december. i should have known better.

8)

Bodvar

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 01:19:27 PM »
Compared to?

it requires the largest amount of muscle groups to perform. I'm basing my opinion on how difficult the exercise is to perform and you need alot of raw strength to do this movement.

how many guys do you that can clean and press 400 pounds? not many.

8)

Um, compared to the deadlift?

True not many people can clean and press 400 pounds. But the thing is that there are people that can deadlift 800 pounds but can't clean and press 400 to save their lives. Same thing for the people who clean and press 400, not all of them can deadlift 800 pounds. So who's stronger?

Both movement require a lot of muscle recruitment, but the clean and press can take years to master, whereas proper deadlift technique can be taught in an afternoon.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 02:18:34 PM »
Um, compared to the deadlift?

True not many people can clean and press 400 pounds. But the thing is that there are people that can deadlift 800 pounds but can't clean and press 400 to save their lives. Same thing for the people who clean and press 400, not all of them can deadlift 800 pounds. So who's stronger?

Both movement require a lot of muscle recruitment, but the clean and press can take years to master, whereas proper deadlift technique can be taught in an afternoon.

When did i say it was better than the deadlift?

i said the TWO best tests of strength are the deadlift and the clean and press, the deadlift being number 1.

i also think "proper" deadlifting technique takes years to master.

8)

Bodvar

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 05:43:26 PM »
When did i say it was better than the deadlift?

i said the TWO best tests of strength are the deadlift and the clean and press, the deadlift being number 1.

i also think "proper" deadlifting technique takes years to master.

8)

I didn't say you said it was a better lift. What I said is that the clean and press is a much more technical lift than the deadlift, therefore not a good indicator of brute strength.

The thing is that you can pull massive weight on the deadlift with pretty shitty form. Look at some of the top pullers in the world, some of them aren't exactly using textbook form, but they can pull ridiculous amounts of weight.

This isn't the case with the clean and press. If your form sucks your not going very far. You just can't muscle your way through a clean and press, your movements have to be fast, precise, and deliberate or your fucked.