Author Topic: PBW's NPC Nationals Coverage (Manion, Haney, Brandon Curry & Pete Siegel)  (Read 21748 times)

Andrew1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
PBW Covers the 25th NPC Nationals - Monday 8pm ET

Two Part Series Pays Tribute to Silver Anniversary Event

Part 1 (Replay Now Available)  PBW's tribute to the 25th Anniversary of the NPC National Championships with special guest Jim Manion.  Regarded as one of the most influential Men in bodybuilding history, the NPC President and Chairman of the IFBB Pro League joins Dan & Bob for a rare public interview and a look ahead to a milestone event.  Don't miss this special edition of PBW as The Voice of Pro Bodybuilding salutes "The NPC Nationals".  This episode also includes a visit with the very first national Champion, LEE HANEY.

Part 2 (Airs Monday at 8pm ET)  PBW recaps the action LIVE from Dallas as new pro cards are handed out.  The broadcast will include inside analysis of the contest along with a look ahead to the 2008 IFBB contest season. Special appearances by Pete Siegel, Brandon Curry and Flex Editor Allan Donnelly.  - presented by MuscleTech on Monday at 8pm ET for a worldwide audience.

Broadcasting at www.BodybuildingRadio.com

30 Websites....and counting.  -  Bodybuilding's most popular multi-media production is now available on more than 30 of the fitness industry's most popular websites.  To learn more about the "PBW Global Broadcast Network" visit (http://www.probodybuildingweekly.com/1global.htm)

Presented by MuscleTech and brought to you by Bodybuilding.com and Flex Magazine. 
Additional Sponsors: NxLabs, Muscle Asylum Project, Bodywell Nutrition, Max Muscle, Biogenetix, 2008 Arnold Sports Festival, Dr. Navarro's Vein Centre, and MuscleTime.com

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
Re: PBW with Jim Manion: NPC Nationals "25th Anniversary" Special (Monday)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 05:24:57 PM »
Holy Shit!  :o

Looks like Manion finally got over the flu....  two years later!  ;D
Ron: "I am lazy."

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 05:26:12 PM »
Wow... this will be interesting, definitely.  They finally got the boss on the show.  I don't think I've ever heard his voice. 

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 05:28:05 PM »
Must ask questions:

1)  Why is he not letting Lee P compete even though he has served his full 12-month supension and it's over?

2) Why is Milos being punished for calling a spade a spade in the Paul "payola" Chua situation?

I'm sure we can think of more.....    ;D ;D

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 05:31:43 PM »
Perfect time to have Mr. Manion on the show. Many people don't know he competed and did quite well back in the day. It will be interesting to hear his perspective on how things have changed in the past 25 years.
Elevate Your Image.™

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 05:39:54 PM »
3)  When the IFBB does something to shoot itself in the foot (as it frequently does), and poor Bob Chick is left to explain things to the public, athletes, and fans, does Manion send Bob his scripted answers via email or text message?  ;D

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 05:43:05 PM »
4)  Does it piss Manion off that after all his loyal years of service to the industry, a 29-year-old kid in Boise makes more money off of bodybuilding than he does?

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 06:04:55 PM »
Why is he not letting Lee P compete even though he has served his full 12-month supension and it's over?

I think Lee had enough times to try and get the suspension removed, but when he was suspended, every time something came up, Lee didn't do it.  Things just don't go poof - I am back.  Lee needs to really want to come back, and talk it over.

Why is Milos being punished for calling a spade a spade in the Paul "payola" Chua situation?

It is called proof. Like anyone else, if you say something, be prepared to back it up with some sort of proof. Don't cry fire in the house unless you can show the flames. Otherwise, when you are called up on it, and you don't have anything, don't get upset.

does Manion send Bob his scripted answers via email or text message?

Ha, but uh, no.  If you know Bob, then you know Bob has an answer for everything. Bob isnt afraid to speak his mind.

Does it piss Manion off that after all his loyal years of service to the industry, a 29-year-old kid in Boise makes more money off of bodybuilding than he does?

Why? Because the DeLuca's had a great strategic marketing campaign, where there at the right time, and built up something that actually supports the industry. That is a great thing.  Do you think it pissed off others in the computer industry because the guys at Google built their site up, or Youtube did, or Facebook did.  Come on already.

How about some positive questions!

1) How does it feel celebrating the 25th anniversary of the NPC Nationals?
2) How does it feel having an IFBB pro show next year in New Zealand and in Japan?
3) What are the many changes that have been made in the last 25 years?
4) What is the difference in how you feel when it started back then verses today?  Has the
      roles changed in terms of being the underdog to being an established entity?
5) Did you think that fitness, and then figure, would of been added to just the bodybuilding
      shows when it was just bodybuilding?
6) Which is most important, the symmetry, the physique, the muscularity of a competitor?
7) What positive and negative changes have been made to the sport of bodybuilding in the last 25 years?

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 06:23:08 PM »
1) How does it feel celebrating the 25th anniversary of the NPC Nationals?
2) How does it feel having an IFBB pro show next year in New Zealand and in Japan?
3) What are the many changes that have been made in the last 25 years?
4) What is the difference in how you feel when it started back then verses today?  Has the
      roles changed in terms of being the underdog to being an established entity?
5) Did you think that fitness, and then figure, would of been added to just the bodybuilding
      shows when it was just bodybuilding?
6) Which is most important, the symmetry, the physique, the muscularity of a competitor?
7) What positive and negative changes have been made to the sport of bodybuilding in the last 25 years?

Wow...  with softball questions like those, I'll bet Manion wishes you were doing the interview.

What happened to the guy who called out DH (angry midget) at the Olympia press conference for being arrogant?

Thankfully, Dan has shown he will ask the tough questions, so I'm hoping he at least asks my first two.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 06:35:18 PM »
Things just don't go poof - I am back. 

Why not?   That's the way it works in any other sport....  serve your suspension, and when it's over, you get to play again, you don't have to kiss the commissioner's ring or anything.  What makes bodybuilding different, Ron?  (Actually, I'd like to hear Manion's answer to this).

Armstrong

• Getbig III
  • Victor got screwed.
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 08:00:44 AM »
Perfect time to have Mr. Manion on the show. Many people don't know he competed and did quite well back in the day. It will be interesting to hear his perspective on how things have changed in the past 25 years.

Jim Manion competed? 
Everything is BIGGER in Texas!!!

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 10:56:46 AM »
A little history on The Prez -

Jim Manion was a competitor for many years and won many titles along the way. He competed in the late 60's and finished competing in 1976. He was Mr Pennsylvania (AAU) in 1971 and placed second to the great, Robby Robinson in the 1974 Mr Southeastern USA (AAU). He did one show in 1976, which he won, and then retired. In 1972/73 he trained under Arther Jones in Deland, Florida at the Nautilus complex. He and his training partners trained with the legendary Cassy Viator during that time. He used to compete 3-4 weekends in a row. Imagine the guys today doing that.

Bodybuilding events used to be held with powerlifting events and the bodybuilders always went on after the powerlifting meets were completed. The bodybuilders would wait around all day for those events to be completed before they went on stage, many times they wouldn't take the stage until 9, 10 or 11pm! There was no specialize lighting back in those day either. They would usually pose to house lighting or to a couple 100watt light bulbs attached to a basketball hoop. Bodybuilding was the side show to powerlifting back then. Jim was the first bodybuilding competitor to hold a president position over bodybuilding, before then it was always a powerlifter.

Jim has been the president of the NPC for 30 years. In 1977 he was elected president of the NPC, which was part of the AAU then. The NPC broke off from the AAU in 1982. This is why it's the 25th Anniversary of the NPC Nationals. Everyone competed in the AAU Mr. America up until 1981.

This is why he has the respect of all the pros - most of them know he used to compete.

A couple links of interest:
http://www.musclememory.com/cgi-bin/exact?Manion,+Jim?M

Muscular Development, Vol 8, No 9, Page 17, September 1971
This Is Jim Manion, By Les Cramer

How a Physique Man goes from not being able to Place in a contest to Eight Wins in a Row in Nine Months!
http://www.musclememory.com/showArticle.php?md080917
Elevate Your Image.™

AVBG

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 06:06:22 PM »
Ask JM why cant the under 210 class be O qualifying?

Ask JM for his view on having the whole MR O field re-qualify each year irrespective of prior year placings?

AVBG

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 06:12:06 PM »
Q for Chick.. 2008 Atlantic City Masters Over 40.. Are you in?

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 06:42:34 PM »
Q for Chick.. 2008 Atlantic City Masters Over 40.. Are you in?

Depends....  is BB.com buying him another trophy   sponsoring the show?

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 06:57:41 PM »
Here's another good Q for Manion:   "why do think it is that only athletes 'managed' by your son win the fitness and figure O's?"   ;D ;D

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 07:55:56 AM »

Depends....  is BB.com buying him another trophy   sponsoring the show?

We werent sponsoring the other one....

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 10:42:29 AM »
Here's another good Q for Manion:   "why do think it is that only athletes 'managed' by your son win the fitness and figure O's?"   ;D ;D

this can't be true...
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 02:51:42 PM »
this can't be true...

Davana, Jenny Lynn, Susie Curry, Adela Garcia....  all on JM Manion's roster.

AVBG

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 03:58:30 PM »
Davana, Jenny Lynn, Susie Curry, Adela Garcia....  all on JM Manion's roster.

It's no coincidence that these women are are at the top of their game.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 04:32:41 PM »
JM's girls are the best, because JM only manages the best girls

dearth

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 05:17:49 PM »
JM's girls are the best, because JM only manages the best girls

funny how the "best girls" managed by JM don't always have to have the best physique in a contest to win

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 05:24:59 PM »

funny how the "best girls" managed by JM don't always have to have the best physique in a contest to win

That was kind of the point of my question for Manion.  Chicken won't ask it, though.  ;D

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2007, 04:08:06 AM »
dealing with corruption all day, i'll skip this program and trust the 240 butt kissing recap

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007, 09:03:47 AM »
We werent sponsoring the other one....

hey Chic, I am really interested in hearing this interview with the "pres" . I would love for him to comment on the "belly ban edict" (which I and many others support) and any plans to enforce judging physiques vs mass freaks at shows. Thanks   Howard
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!