Author Topic: two things for you guys... box squatting and box pulls.  (Read 2636 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
two things for you guys... box squatting and box pulls.
« on: November 07, 2007, 07:08:19 PM »
my first question is why the fuck is box squatting so damn hard compared to regular squatting? I sit back on the box with my back arch'd properly and it's hard to stand up with anything right at or above 400lbs. What does that mean? I have poor hip drive?  If this is something that is a sign of weakness somewhere...that will give me a good idea as to what I need to attack to better my squats and deads.

two...for trhose that haven't tried box pulls..i'd like to thank overload and everyone else who recommended them. I've never felt something so fucking rough on my legs other than a squat. Regular deads don't even come close to this movement. It really makes you drive your legs through the floor to pick up the weight. I'm talking so deep your chest touches your quads at the bottom when you squat down to grab the bar. I'll let you guys know what sort of impact it has on my pulls in two weeks but thus far...ti's a nasty exercise and you REALLY feel it right down the middle of  your quads more than anywhere else i've noticed.

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
Re: two things for you guys... box squatting and box pulls.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 07:45:27 PM »
my first question is why the fuck is box squatting so damn hard compared to regular squatting? I sit back on the box with my back arch'd properly and it's hard to stand up with anything right at or above 400lbs. What does that mean? I have poor hip drive?  If this is something that is a sign of weakness somewhere...that will give me a good idea as to what I need to attack to better my squats and deads.

two...for trhose that haven't tried box pulls..i'd like to thank overload and everyone else who recommended them. I've never felt something so fucking rough on my legs other than a squat. Regular deads don't even come close to this movement. It really makes you drive your legs through the floor to pick up the weight. I'm talking so deep your chest touches your quads at the bottom when you squat down to grab the bar. I'll let you guys know what sort of impact it has on my pulls in two weeks but thus far...ti's a nasty exercise and you REALLY feel it right down the middle of  your quads more than anywhere else i've noticed.

I did ME box squats today, and I'm right there with you man. This is the way I look at it, when you do normal bodybuilding squats you build up momentum from the bottom of the squat even if you don't bounce out of the hole. Its just natural for your body to reverse itself I guess. But when you sit down with the weight you are coming back up from a dead stop. Think of it this way, sit down in a chair and place a barbell with 300-400 pounds on your back(I know thats not possible, but just imagine it) and then try to stand up. It would seem much harder just because you are starting from a dead stop. All your fibers were firing on the way down and expected to fire again on the way up, but you stopped the movement at the bottom and they had to start all over again. I expected much more today from mine today as well, so I'm glad you put this up because I was fealing like a wuss after the gym today. AlwaysBRING THE INTENSITY, BROTHER,AHHRRR!!!!!!!!!! But I'm new to this as well and may be completely wrong, so if one of the experienced guys wants to speak up, please do.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 08:02:21 PM »
You're right, Lame.

As I wrote in wickeds taining log, you lose the stretch relfex that is typically built on the way down. Try this, do a low box squat but this time dont sit back, just pause a moment on the box. Let the weight transfer into the box but stay dipped. Then complete the movement. You will notice a couple things: 1 - your low back is taxed quite a bit, haha. 2 - the squat was easier and that is due to the reflex tension being kept in your back and legs. When you sit up on the box, everything in the chain loses tension and you are left with almost nothing.

At least this is the way I feel about it. Test it out. Also try a DL where you start from the end position (standing). I bet you hit a lot bigger PR! Even if its not a real PR. ;)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 08:24:26 PM »
You're right, Lame.

As I wrote in wickeds taining log, you lose the stretch relfex that is typically built on the way down. Try this, do a low box squat but this time dont sit back, just pause a moment on the box. Let the weight transfer into the box but stay dipped. Then complete the movement. You will notice a couple things: 1 - your low back is taxed quite a bit, haha. 2 - the squat was easier and that is due to the reflex tension being kept in your back and legs. When you sit up on the box, everything in the chain loses tension and you are left with almost nothing.

At least this is the way I feel about it. Test it out. Also try a DL where you start from the end position (standing). I bet you hit a lot bigger PR! Even if its not a real PR. ;)

oh you know it will be easier haha..it's why teh second rep in a deadlift set is so mu ch fucking easier! HAHA

and i thought the idea of box squatting was to not get teh reflex action out of it...

this calls for more research..becuase when squatting normally i go down slow and explode up.. if i sit there for a one thousand one count...it is hard as fuck to do!  :(

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 08:34:30 PM »
Im willing to bet that even if you stop at paralell in a squat for a second and then push through it is still easier than properly box squatting from an equal height.

Was I unclear? It IS to take away the stretch reflex. A box squats purpose is to break up the eccentric/concentric chain and eliminate stretch reflex. Yes, there will still be some stretch left but that is a good thing. Just think of the things you could mess up by just getting under the bar in the rack, in the bottom position, and blasting out without feeling the weight first.

What I was suggesting was to compare between sitting back and not sitting back and observe the difference.

That is all. 8)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 05:20:23 AM »
Im willing to bet that even if you stop at paralell in a squat for a second and then push through it is still easier than properly box squatting from an equal height.

Was I unclear? It IS to take away the stretch reflex. A box squats purpose is to break up the eccentric/concentric chain and eliminate stretch reflex. Yes, there will still be some stretch left but that is a good thing. Just think of the things you could mess up by just getting under the bar in the rack, in the bottom position, and blasting out without feeling the weight first.

What I was suggesting was to compare between sitting back and not sitting back and observe the difference.

That is all. 8)

oh haha yeah man that makes sense completely...

hey when's your next strongman comp?!

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 07:07:29 AM »
oh haha yeah man that makes sense completely...

hey when's your next strongman comp?!

The 17th this month in Vegas! Nationals baby! Time to tear my body up to the point of no return!

I think I posted the weights that are going to be used somewhere on here?

800lb Yoke.....800lb tire....305lb/hand farmers..............106 lb kettlebell.....and....um mm........stones up to 415lbs!

Oh yeah, and by then my girl should have her own editing room setup so the video will come soon after. I'll try and make it look good! ;)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 07:30:11 AM »
The 17th this month in Vegas! Nationals baby! Time to tear my body up to the point of no return!

I think I posted the weights that are going to be used somewhere on here?

800lb Yoke.....800lb tire....305lb/hand farmers..............106 lb kettlebell.....and....um mm........stones up to 415lbs!

Oh yeah, and by then my girl should have her own editing room setup so the video will come soon after. I'll try and make it look good! ;)

hahaha holy shit dude that's so awesome. I can't fucking WAIT to see that shit! AND I'm going to be at a gym this weekend with strongman gear! I'm going to give my hand at stones and see if I can man handle the 300lb'ers!

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 09:23:06 AM »
You should handle the 300lb'er easily after you get a feel for it. First time doing stones I loaded a 320 and I couldnt lift like you in the gym, haha! Use chalk OR gorilla grip OR better yet, TACKY! Tacky is a beautiful thing when your forearms are dead.

Let us know how you do! Good luck!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 04:54:28 PM »
You should handle the 300lb'er easily after you get a feel for it. First time doing stones I loaded a 320 and I couldnt lift like you in the gym, haha! Use chalk OR gorilla grip OR better yet, TACKY! Tacky is a beautiful thing when your forearms are dead.

Let us know how you do! Good luck!
hahahhaa, when we were using tacky we would come to work and get the craziest looks from people from the scars the stones and tacky would leave on your forearms, they look like big burns.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 07:15:51 PM »
hahahhaa, when we were using tacky we would come to work and get the craziest looks from people from the scars the stones and tacky would leave on your forearms, they look like big burns.

Good times. 8)