Author Topic: What is the President's Sworn Duty?  (Read 1517 times)

Decker

• Getbig V
What is the President's Sworn Duty?
« on: November 08, 2007, 11:25:09 AM »
"I, George W. Bush, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and I will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States."
--Oath of Office

GW Bush quotes:

"Just had a beginning of a series of meetings today, and during those meetings it is clear that people around that table fully understand we have no higher duty than to protect the American people. And so I'm pleased to be with my homeland security and counterterrorism teams."

"But no one should doubt that we are determined to do what has to be done to protect the American people. As President, I have no higher duty."

Hey, Mr. President, I can think of one higher duty...

Apparently the president has no idea what he is sworn to do as president.  It is remarkable how little he understands his job. 

I know that I don't want or need his type of protection.

His complete corruption of purpose gives rise to the many constitutional abominations put forth by the Bush Administration....spying on americans, signing statements claiming the new law doesn't apply to the president, outing a US spy in a time of war for political gain, torture as US foreign policy, breaking the law to invade Iraq and on and on.

He does those things for our own good....Certainly not the good of the US Constitution.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: What is the President's Sworn Duty?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 11:32:03 AM »
"I, George W. Bush, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and I will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States."
--Oath of Office

GW Bush quotes:

"Just had a beginning of a series of meetings today, and during those meetings it is clear that people around that table fully understand we have no higher duty than to protect the American people. And so I'm pleased to be with my homeland security and counterterrorism teams."

"But no one should doubt that we are determined to do what has to be done to protect the American people. As President, I have no higher duty."

Hey, Mr. President, I can think of one higher duty...

Apparently the president has no idea what he is sworn to do as president.  It is remarkable how little he understands his job. 

I know that I don't want or need his type of protection.

His complete corruption of purpose gives rise to the many constitutional abominations put forth by the Bush Administration....spying on americans, signing statements claiming the new law doesn't apply to the president, outing a US spy in a time of war for political gain, torture as US foreign policy, breaking the law to invade Iraq and on and on.

He does those things for our own good....Certainly not the good of the US Constitution.

I don't see a conflict here.  Faithfully executing the office of the President includes protecting the American people.   

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 12:54:10 PM »
I don't see a conflict here.  Faithfully executing the office of the President includes protecting the American people.   
in various duties of executing the office of the president, maybe...  AND "I will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States." he fails,... miserably... AND means you don't sack one to do the other.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 01:45:18 PM »
in various duties of executing the office of the president, maybe...  AND "I will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States." he fails,... miserably... AND means you don't sack one to do the other.

That's beautifully expressed.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 02:32:38 PM »

Pretty difficult to protect the American people without preserving, protecting, and defending the Constitution.  Faithfully executing duties, the Constitution, and protecting the American are pretty much synonymous. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 03:28:23 PM »
Pretty difficult to protect the American people without preserving, protecting, and defending the Constitution.  Faithfully executing duties, the Constitution, and protecting the American are pretty much synonymous. 
Really?!?!  how so... I disagree...  If we send of an army to "fight for our safety" does the war not continue under disregard for the Constitution?  Did not Alberto Gonzolas claim to be upholding his oath while at the same time attacking the Constitution?  Come on, they are synonymous only if you give a shit about the Constitution.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 03:41:54 PM »
I'm kind of looking forward to January 2009, so the senseless rhetoric and Bush-bashing can stop.  It'll be refreshing, though I'm sure folks will still be blaming G-Dub.

"Hurricane Wetsue?  Bush's fault!"

"An earthquake measuring 7.2 on the Richter scale?  Bush's fault!"

"Price of cereal has skyrocketed?  Bush's fault!"

And let's go back and look at all the misquotes this "idiot" (that just happen to have a degree with a higher average than the incredibly intelligent John Kerry or Al Gore) has made over 8 years.   Years of comedy to come. 

;)

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 03:47:09 PM »
I'm kind of looking forward to January 2009, so the senseless rhetoric and Bush-bashing can stop.  It'll be refreshing, though I'm sure folks will still be blaming G-Dub.

why? his actions now will have an influence on America's future, him and his people are responsible but then so are the American people for voting him in for a second term  :P

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 03:52:37 PM »
Really?!?!  how so... I disagree...  If we send of an army to "fight for our safety" does the war not continue under disregard for the Constitution?  Did not Alberto Gonzolas claim to be upholding his oath while at the same time attacking the Constitution?  Come on, they are synonymous only if you give a shit about the Constitution.

If the military is fighting for our safety then it is not disregarding the Constitution, particularly when the Congress endorses and funds the war. 

We were talking about the president, but how specifically did Alberto attack the Constitution?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 03:53:43 PM »

And let's go back and look at all the misquotes this "idiot" (that just happen to have a degree with a higher average than the incredibly intelligent John Kerry or Al Gore) has made over 8 years.   Years of comedy to come. 

;)

Word.  lol.  Bush is da debil.   :D 

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 06:11:19 PM »

;)

if i was bush i wouldnt take it personally.. people need excuses.. like if you have a dead end job, driving a piece of shit car, parked behind your piece of shit house.. you need some sort of scapegoat for your lack of success..  i wouldnt know cuz im at the top of my game, but maybee someone like decker could tell us more

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 06:59:33 PM »
If the military is fighting for our safety then it is not disregarding the Constitution, particularly when the Congress endorses and funds the war. 

We were talking about the president, but how specifically did Alberto attack the Constitution?
zippppp!  Right over your head...  I was not relating the war example directly to illustrating an attack on the constitution... That both could occur independent at the same time.  Alberto was widely understood to be a Bush yes man.  Much of what he did was as a result of Bush telling Alberto to find a way, make it happen, justify this or that...  Once example of disregard for the Constitution that comes to mind, Alberto stated the Constitution doesn't guarantee habeas corpus. ::)

Unprecedented use of signing statements to bypass laws at will = King George = King = Constitution Hater. ;D
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2006/04/30/bush_challenges_hundreds_of_laws/

Bush goes to war with Iraq "to fight for our freedom, preserve our democracy and way of life" but does so by lying to America and Congress...  Can't do that... It's a felony and impeachable by the constitution done in the name of our safety ;)...  Yes, I know, you don't think there is any evidence he lied... Bullshit... The downing street memos, the fact that the CIA said no go on Intel to support you, so they created their own intelligence agency in the pentagon to come up with everything that has since been shown to be pure bullshit.  Man, if that doesn't add up to intentional mis-truths ::)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 07:01:54 PM »

;)

You're right, Righties never did this kind of thing to Dems in office ::)

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 07:07:20 PM »
I dont know if Alberto gonzales did or didn't disgrace the constitution.  I'll let law scholars debate that.

I do know that gonzales embarassed his office and his country.  The Attorney General, top legislator for the greatest nation in the world... and he acts like he forgets everything under oath.

He was an embarassment.  i dont care what he did or what party it is from.  Obvious lies caused that position to lose respect in the eyes of the world. 
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 06:07:28 AM »
Word.  lol.  Bush is da debil.   :D 
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

;D

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 07:19:46 AM »
I blame the Dems for everthing anyway so once Hil or that idiot Obama is in the Whitehouse, nothing will change for me.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 07:29:20 AM »

;)

Under George Bush's 'leadership' the US has become a country of torture, a country that used UNPROVOKED pre-emptive attacks on Iraq...not to mention the illegal occupation, a country that spies on its own citizens, a country that ignores international treatises to which the US is a signatory (ABM treaty, Geneva Protocols, UN Charter), a country that is hated worldwide more than Red China.

This president ignored the constitutional safeguards of checks and balances by ignoring the FISA law w/out consulting Congress, he tried to have a hospitalized AG on leave of duty sign-off on his illegal spying, he consistently acts ABOVE THE LAW with his signing statements.

Now if all of that seems like senseless, baseless Bush bashing to you, then I don't think you are giving this subject the proper critical thought which it deserves.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 07:32:12 AM »
Yet despite all this..much of which i don't care about..we'll have a new administration,  completely peaceful transition of government..and a  whole bunch of dead terrorist shitbags. I think we'll al be fine. If not I have plenty of guns.
L

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 10:01:22 AM »
Now if all of that seems like senseless, baseless Bush bashing to you, then I don't think you are giving this subject the proper critical thought which it deserves.
Translation: "Colossus, your an idiot and you don't know what you're talking about, and you're not educated and informed like I am.  If you only knew what I know." 

now THAT'S what I call elitist banter at it's best.  lol

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 10:08:36 AM »
Translation: "Colossus, your an idiot and you don't know what you're talking about, and you're not educated and informed like I am.  If you only knew what I know." 

now THAT'S what I call elitist banter at it's best.  lol
No, that's what I would call a mistranslation.

You set up several straw arguments in your prior post to illustrate the foolishness of 'baseless' attacks on our president...a kind of piling on for its own sake.

I'm just pointing out that there are very real, concrete reasons for why the Bush administration is a threat to our constitution....the document he's sworn to uphold.

Am I an elitist b/c I point this out?  I don't think so.  Show me I'm wrong about Bush.

Anyways, who cares even if I do think I'm an 'elite' or my opinions are 'elitist'?  I don't.

Chalk it up to 'a legend in his own mind' and leave it at that.

The elitism that should worry you is the plutocratic monied elitism.  Not the people thinking they are elite.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 10:30:13 AM »
The elitism that should worry you is the plutocratic monied elitism.  Not the people thinking they are elite.
Can't worry about that kind of plutocracy that you speak of either, because they're so much too far removed from all sense of reality.

And I don't worry about those who poster an elitist mindset, because I'm used to armchair quarterbacks.   ;)

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 12:26:23 PM »
Can't worry about that kind of plutocracy that you speak of either, because they're so much too far removed from all sense of reality.

And I don't worry about those who poster an elitist mindset, because I'm used to armchair quarterbacks.   ;)
I wouldn't condescend in my responses to you.  I'm sorry if they come off sounding that way.  It's not intentional.