Author Topic: Huckabee Is on the Rise (NYTimes)  (Read 1898 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Huckabee Is on the Rise (NYTimes)
« on: November 09, 2007, 07:57:27 AM »
November 9, 2007
From Back of G.O.P. Pack, Huckabee Is Stirring
By MICHAEL LUO

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa, Nov. 8 — Mike Huckabee’s field staff had expected a modest crowd for a campaign event at a tiny rural community college near here on Wednesday. But as people began to cram into the shoe-box-size room, campaign organizers scurried to roll back a dividing wall and set up extra chairs.

To the Huckabee campaign, it was another small note in a recent trickle of encouraging moments. His fund-raising is up, the campaign just received its first major Christian conservative endorsement and most of all — to Mr. Huckabee’s obvious delight — opponents are beginning to take potshots at him.

“I’ve always said as a hunter, ‘You never put the cross hairs on a dead carcass,’” Mr. Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor, told reporters Wednesday. “You only aim for something that’s alive that you’d like to take home.”

With less than two months until Iowa’s first-in-the-nation caucuses, there are signs that Mr. Huckabee, a former Baptist pastor for whom Bible verses flow easily off the tongue, is charming, quipping and sermonizing his way from a long shot ensconced in the second tier of the Republican presidential sweepstakes to a possible contender here.

“The candidate du jour right now is Mike Huckabee,” said Chuck Laudner, executive director of the Iowa Republican Party. “He certainly can win. It’s still a wide-open race here in Iowa.”

Even if Mr. Huckabee wins here, what that would mean over the course of the campaign is another question. He would be vastly underfinanced — and underorganized — going into a crush of contests in big and expensive states. A victory here would also put intense scrutiny on his record as governor, which has been largely ignored in the focus on his Republican rivals, Rudolph W. Giuliani, Senator John McCain of Arizona, Fred D. Thompson and Mitt Romney.

Still, there is a new sense of possibility in the Huckabee campaign. It has been fueled in large part by evangelicals, including a politically active home-schooling population, dissatisfied with his better-financed competitors. Mr. Romney continues to lead state polls and has made significant inroads among Christian conservatives, but many are searching for an alternative.

On Thursday, Mr. Huckabee scored his first endorsement from a prominent Christian conservative leader, the Rev. Donald E. Wildmon, founder of the American Family Association. Meanwhile, Mr. Thompson, who is vying for the same conservative mantle, singled out Mr. Huckabee this week, calling him a “pro-life liberal.”

Mr. Huckabee fired back in an interview with Marc Ambinder, a political blogger. “The Writers Guild is on strike, and Fred is kind of struggling to get some lines,” he said. “Whoever put that line together is writing for comedy and not for a serious political drama.”

But other Christian conservative leaders have been reluctant to get behind Mr. Huckabee’s campaign, in no small part because they worry that he cannot win the nomination, much less the general election. Beyond that, they wonder whether this former governor who has never served in Washington has the credentials to be a wartime president, and they fret that he does not have the resources to compete in 50 states against someone like Mr. Giuliani, a supporter of abortion rights whom many conservatives want to stop at all costs. Mr. Huckabee has depicted the leaders’ lack of support as a source of strength, adding, “some people have become more process-focused than they are principle-focused.”

While Mr. Huckabee’s fund-raising still badly trails that of his better-known rivals, as well as that of Representative Ron Paul, Republican of Texas, his campaign took in more than $1 million online in October, more than it raised in the entire third quarter. Most of the donations came in 10 days at the end of the month, on the heels of a strong debate performance, a rousing speech at the Values Voter Summit in Washington and, as Mr. Huckabee invariably inserts in interviews, an endorsement by Chuck Norris, the martial arts star.

In that period, the campaign saw Web site traffic jump to levels second among Republicans only to that of Mr. Paul, who has a strong base of Internet supporters, forcing it to upgrade its server three times.

Chip Saltsman, Mr. Huckabee’s campaign manager, maps out a series of events, though somewhat short on details, of his candidate scoring a victory or strong second in Iowa that could earn him bushels of media coverage, then drawing on resources he has held back to compete in New Hampshire and South Carolina, where he says the campaign has built viable field staffs.

Mr. Saltsman predicts that other prominent contenders will fade, narrowing the field to perhaps two major candidates. After that, he said, the campaign could take advantage of money pouring in from the early momentum to compete in the crush of states holding primaries on Feb. 5.

Mr. Laudner said prospects beyond Iowa remained Mr. Huckabee’s chief hurdle among politically savvy caucusgoers. “If there isn’t going to be enough money to compete beyond Iowa and New Hampshire,” he said, “that goes to the heart of the viability question. That’s his No. 1 limit here.”

Mr. Huckabee has a homespun approach that draws heavily on the story of his climb from humble roots — a generation, he likes to say, from “dirt floors and outdoor bathrooms” to the governor’s office, where he served for more than a decade in a largely Democratic state. He promotes a populist message that seeks to tap into the economic anxiety he says many working-class families feel.

Conservative stances on social issues are at the center of his campaign, but he often tempers them with a declaration of the need to end the divisiveness plaguing the country.

He is one of few Republican candidates to speak out on environmental issues. He is an ardent proponent of the “fair tax,” which would scrap the national income tax for a national sales tax. He talks tough on securing the borders and refusing amnesty to illegal immigrants, but he championed a bill in Arkansas that would have made illegal immigrants eligible for in-state tuition and scholarships.

In short, he is difficult to categorize politically, even as he has sought to play up his conservative credentials for the primaries.

As he has begun to edge up in some polls, his rivals have seized on his record, accusing him of being soft on illegal immigration, which he denies. The fiscal group Club for Growth has attacked his fiscal conservative credentials for months and recently started a Web site, taxhikemike.org.

For his part, Mr. Huckabee has thrown darts at his Republican rivals in a folksy manner, fueling speculation that he is really running for the vice presidency.

But some Republican critics in his home state say there is more below his affable exterior.

“He, historically, has acted very thin-skinned,” said Joe Yates, one of Mr. Huckabee’s top advisers in the governor’s office who does not support his candidacy. “When somebody criticized him, he reacted.”

*article was posted from the NYTimes*

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Huckabee Is on the Rise (NYTimes)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 10:00:18 AM »
I really like Huckabee.  He doesn't seem to have the baggage of Rudy and Romney.  I hope the primary voters give him a hard look.   

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 10:02:34 AM »
I really like Huckabee.  He doesn't seem to have the baggage of Rudy and Romney.  I hope the primary voters give him a hard look.   
Same here.  I've been really high on him from the beginning.  I'm digging deeper into finding out more about him.  I'm impressed.

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 10:21:17 AM »

Yep.  i haven't heard his position on many things.  But he is very pro-education, which our nation needs badly.
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

Purge_WTF

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 05:53:56 PM »
  He's my second choice behind Ron Paul.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 11:26:42 AM »
Same here.  I've been really high on him from the beginning.  I'm digging deeper into finding out more about him.  I'm impressed.

I started paying attention to him after I read your comments about him a little while back. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 11:29:13 AM »
Yep.  i haven't heard his position on many things.  But he is very pro-education, which our nation needs badly.

Education is primarily a state and local issue.  There is enough money being poured in by the feds to help.  The states and counties need to do a better job.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 04:05:04 PM »
teaching is majorly broken in america.  The schools in the bottom half of the percentiles are laid back, lazy, incompetent, etc.  Guaranteed tenure is a big reason.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 10:21:17 PM »
teaching is majorly broken in america.  The schools in the bottom half of the percentiles are laid back, lazy, incompetent, etc.  Guaranteed tenure is a big reason.

I've never heard of elementary and secondary school teachers having tenure.

And what do you mean by "guaranteed tenure"?   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 07:10:55 AM »
I've never heard of elementary and secondary school teachers having tenure.

And what do you mean by "guaranteed tenure"?   

In FL, if you receive three annual contracts in a row from the school district, you have tenure.  Grade prek -12. You are then guaranteed a teaching job for the next 27 years.  They cannot fire you without a really good reason.  If they do not need you, they can ship you to a terrible school in the district (provided there is a principal that will take you lol).  But once a teacher gets those 3 years in, they have a job for life. 

New teachers whose classes test well, often find themselves bumped out of a job, because the lazier tenured teacher gets the job first. 

Teachers unions LOVE tenure.  Many politicians will avoid calling for accountability cause they don't want to piss off the teachers union, who endorses a candidate.  "No child left untested" was very unpopular here in FL, because bonus $ now coincides directly with class improvement ove rthe course of a school year. 

Cheating is happening now, too.  If you're a single mom teacher on a budget, and you will make between zero and $5000 based upon the results of the FCAT (spring statewide test) - you have motive to cheat (which simply involves bubbling in different circles).

It's messy.  Tenure sucks, but performance based pay leaves open the door for cheating (as teachers get to essentially do their own evaluations by administering the test that controls their income).  THe only real solution is yearly contracts based upon performance - which teachers hate - cause it means districts can abuse it, and keep re-hiring NEW teachers who get 60% of the salary of an experienced teacher.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 07:16:21 AM »
And - administrators and their staff keep their jobs and receive bonuses based upon the prrformace of the whole school.  Motive to cheat? lol... Adminstrators make about 80k a year.  They select their entire staff of vice principals and guidance.

I worked at a school in 2002 that had received "D" or "F" for 3 years.   Failing for a 4th year would have meant the entire admin was removed (and they're not tenured!)    So, the night after the FCAT spring test, the entire staff stayed on campus until 2 AM, "reviewing" the papers to ensure they were all in.  (This had never happened before).
Miraculously, the school jumped to a "B" and they all got bonuses and kept their jobs.

Most on staff just laughed about the possible cheating.  We all got bonuses too!  The following year, scores dropped back to D, and stayed there.

You should never have complete control over incentive=base evaluation of yourself, in any industry.  The industry that maters most - the future generation that will take care of our country when we're old - is no exception.

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 07:22:50 AM »
I worked at a school in 2002 that had received "D" or "F" for 3 years.   Failing for a 4th year would have meant the entire admin was removed (and they're not tenured!)    So, the night after the FCAT spring test, the entire staff stayed on campus until 2 AM, "reviewing" the papers to ensure they were all in.  (This had never happened before).
Miraculously, the school jumped to a "B" and they all got bonuses and kept their jobs.

Most on staff just laughed about the possible cheating.  We all got bonuses too!  The following year, scores dropped back to D, and stayed there.

Sounds like an "inside job".  You should call up your friend Dylan Avery and have him make a movie about it on his laptop. 

Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 10:21:02 AM »
In FL, if you receive three annual contracts in a row from the school district, you have tenure.  Grade prek -12. You are then guaranteed a teaching job for the next 27 years.  They cannot fire you without a really good reason.  If they do not need you, they can ship you to a terrible school in the district (provided there is a principal that will take you lol).  But once a teacher gets those 3 years in, they have a job for life. 

New teachers whose classes test well, often find themselves bumped out of a job, because the lazier tenured teacher gets the job first. 

Teachers unions LOVE tenure.  Many politicians will avoid calling for accountability cause they don't want to piss off the teachers union, who endorses a candidate.  "No child left untested" was very unpopular here in FL, because bonus $ now coincides directly with class improvement ove rthe course of a school year. 

Cheating is happening now, too.  If you're a single mom teacher on a budget, and you will make between zero and $5000 based upon the results of the FCAT (spring statewide test) - you have motive to cheat (which simply involves bubbling in different circles).

It's messy.  Tenure sucks, but performance based pay leaves open the door for cheating (as teachers get to essentially do their own evaluations by administering the test that controls their income).  THe only real solution is yearly contracts based upon performance - which teachers hate - cause it means districts can abuse it, and keep re-hiring NEW teachers who get 60% of the salary of an experienced teacher.

Interesting.  Never heard of that.  Seems unnecessary with unions, which already make it very difficult to get rid of substandard employees. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 11:08:17 AM »
Interesting.  Never heard of that.  Seems unnecessary with unions, which already make it very difficult to get rid of substandard employees. 

In FL, most teachers at the schools I worked at, didn't join the union.

You can join it when you need it.  If you get caught doing something bad, you call your school's rep, they bill you, and then they defend you.  You do it again the next year if you need it again. 

It might be because of the teacher shortage, or very low teacher salaries (29k at year one, and 49k at year 30 of teaching!) is what it was a few years ago.  Most teachers cannot afford to join if they don't need it.  And there is zero job competition here.  Schools are happy to find you.  If you're marginally competent, you'll always have a job here.  I taught for a little over 6 years, all while playing in bands and going to college for advanced degree.  I did a mediocre job (very strong discipline but weaker on the lesson planning) and was offerred multiple contracts every year. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 11:21:28 AM »
Huckabee Gets Pro-Life Nod
Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:54 AM
By: Melanie Hunter   

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee received an endorsement Wednesday from a national pro-life leader in his 2008 GOP presidential bid, while a recent poll shows Huckabee gaining ground in Iowa on former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney seven weeks before voting in the caucuses begins.

In a CBS/New York Times poll (conducted Nov. 2 -11), Huckabee had 21 percent support compared to Romney's 27 percent among likely Iowa caucus-goers. Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani had 15 percent, compared to former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson with 9 percent, and Arizona Sen. John McCain with 4 percent.

Thomas Glessner, founder and president of the National Institute of Family and Life Advocates (NIFLA), which provides legal services to Pregnancy Resource Centers, said Huckabee is someone "who has the moral convictions and commitment to work to end the cultural nightmare of abortion."

Glessner has served as CEO of NIFLA for 15 years and has had a national leadership role in the pro-life movement since 1987.

"Now is not the time to pragmatically endorse and support candidates who have questionable records on abortion simply because conventional political wisdom appears to tell us that they have the best chance of winning," said Glessner in an endorsement letter.

"This is not the time to hope for the best from the worst of candidates because it appears that they are the probable winners," he said. "No! There is too much at stake, and if we fail to support the candidates who truly support us then we have failed ourselves."

Huckabee is considered a fiscal conservative who pushed through the Arkansas Legislature the first major broad-based tax cuts in the state's history - a $90 million tax-relief package for Arkansas families, according to his campaign Web site.

He also spearheaded efforts to create a Property Taxpayers' Bill of Rights and a welfare reform program that reduced the welfare rolls by 50 percent in the state.

As chairman of the National Governors' Association, Huckabee promoted his Healthy America Initiative, based on a successful Healthy Arkansas model, an effort to encourage residents to exercise, eat healthier and stop smoking. The state initiative was a direct result of his efforts to get healthier by losing 110 pounds after being diagnosed with Type II diabetes in 2003.

© 2007 CNSNews.com. All Rights Reserved.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 11:25:23 AM »
Huckabee Gets Pro-Life Nod
Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:54 AM
By: Melanie Hunter   

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee received an endorsement Wednesday from a national pro-life leader in his 2008 GOP presidential bid, while a recent poll shows Huckabee gaining ground in Iowa on former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney seven weeks before voting in the caucuses begins.

In a CBS/New York Times poll (conducted Nov. 2 -11), Huckabee had 21 percent support compared to Romney's 27 percent among likely Iowa caucus-goers. Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani had 15 percent, compared to former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson with 9 percent, and Arizona Sen. John McCain with 4 percent.

Sounds like he's picking up steam. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 06:58:24 AM »
What's going on with Mike Huckabee?
by Star Parker, founder and president of CURE

With little resources, and with a GOP presidential candidacy hovering in obscurity through the summer, the former Arkansas governor is now running in a dead heat with Mitt Romney in the lead in Iowa.

The former Massachusetts governor's spending in Iowa has been 10 times greater than Huckabee's and, until this week, Huckabee had not run a single ad (versus Romney, whose ads have already run over 5,000 times).

In various national polls, Huckabee is coming in a solid third behind former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani and former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson.

The Washington Post's David Broder provides one hint about the fuel that might be propelling Huckabee. He says that, according to veteran Democratic pollster Peter Hart, the attributes that are pushing voters' buttons this year are "transparency, authenticity and unity."

A just-released The Economist/YouGov poll shows Huckabee doing well in these areas. Republican voters rate him first in both honesty and morality.

The long campaign and the plethora of pre-primary televised debates have been helpful to Huckabee, whose appeal has come through to voters, but who has not had a lot of resources for his own marketing. He has come off as genuine and not like a candidate, in Huckabee's words, "who's sort of the culmination of a room full of consultants."

There is little question that on social issues that Huckabee, a Baptist minister, is the real deal. This is playing well among Iowa Republicans, a third of whom are evangelicals and 70 percent of whom are conservatives.

But what about the rap against him that he is a populist with little regard for traditional Republican proclivities for unfettered markets and limited government?

He's been accused by the Club for Growth of "big-government liberalism" and called by conservative columnist Jonah Goldberg a "statist."

There's some justification, of course, to these labels. Huckabee invites them when he expresses reservations about free trade, which he does, when he talks about energy independence, which he does, and when he endorses ideas such as a nationally mandated ban on smoking in public places.

But there are important strains in what Huckabee is about that defy simple labels, and in this sense these accusations and generalizations are not legitimate.

When Huckabee says that "strong families are the foundation of a strong country," he means this. This is not a Hillary Rodham Clinton-like political throw-away line.

The traditional-values agenda is as much an economic initiative as anything else.

It's family breakdown and values breakdown that drive poverty in our country today. Poor families are overwhelmingly single-parent families.

Crime and unemployment among black males is a values crisis, and transforming these young men to productive beings is an economic as well as a values initiative. This is anything but statism.

It's tough to see how someone who wants to get rid of the IRS, which Huckabee's "fair tax" initiative would do, can be thought of as someone who loves big government.

His plan, which would replace the income tax with a national sales tax, has plenty of detractors, including those who see it as politically impossible to achieve.

But how do you argue with the idea of taxing consumption rather than income and production, and freeing every American family of having to share every intimate detail of their economic life with the government?

On health care, Huckabee has repudiated mandated universal coverage and supports reforms that would allow individuals the same tax preferences for purchasing health coverage as employers and that would allow a national market, rather than our current state-regulated fiefdoms, for buying health care Sounds pretty darned free-market to me.

On Social Security, Huckabee's plan would eliminate the payroll tax and he has expressed support for the idea of personal retirement accounts.

And, of course, Huckabee is a hard-core supporter of understanding the Second Amendment as protection of the rights of individuals to bear arms.

So the simple big-government-loving box into which many want to stick Huckabee is just not an accurate picture of the man. Do I agree with many of the criticisms in areas where he does want to turn to government? Yes.

Mike Huckabee is not a simple guy. But life is not simple. However, he is honest, he is clear and many, including me, appreciate his unequivocal stand for the traditional values that are critical for the future of this country.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 10:26:55 AM »
What's going on with Mike Huckabee?
by Star Parker, founder and president of CURE

With little resources, and with a GOP presidential candidacy hovering in obscurity through the summer, the former Arkansas governor is now running in a dead heat with Mitt Romney in the lead in Iowa.

The former Massachusetts governor's spending in Iowa has been 10 times greater than Huckabee's and, until this week, Huckabee had not run a single ad (versus Romney, whose ads have already run over 5,000 times).

In various national polls, Huckabee is coming in a solid third behind former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani and former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson.

The Washington Post's David Broder provides one hint about the fuel that might be propelling Huckabee. He says that, according to veteran Democratic pollster Peter Hart, the attributes that are pushing voters' buttons this year are "transparency, authenticity and unity."

A just-released The Economist/YouGov poll shows Huckabee doing well in these areas. Republican voters rate him first in both honesty and morality.

The long campaign and the plethora of pre-primary televised debates have been helpful to Huckabee, whose appeal has come through to voters, but who has not had a lot of resources for his own marketing. He has come off as genuine and not like a candidate, in Huckabee's words, "who's sort of the culmination of a room full of consultants."

There is little question that on social issues that Huckabee, a Baptist minister, is the real deal. This is playing well among Iowa Republicans, a third of whom are evangelicals and 70 percent of whom are conservatives.

But what about the rap against him that he is a populist with little regard for traditional Republican proclivities for unfettered markets and limited government?

He's been accused by the Club for Growth of "big-government liberalism" and called by conservative columnist Jonah Goldberg a "statist."

There's some justification, of course, to these labels. Huckabee invites them when he expresses reservations about free trade, which he does, when he talks about energy independence, which he does, and when he endorses ideas such as a nationally mandated ban on smoking in public places.

But there are important strains in what Huckabee is about that defy simple labels, and in this sense these accusations and generalizations are not legitimate.

When Huckabee says that "strong families are the foundation of a strong country," he means this. This is not a Hillary Rodham Clinton-like political throw-away line.

The traditional-values agenda is as much an economic initiative as anything else.

It's family breakdown and values breakdown that drive poverty in our country today. Poor families are overwhelmingly single-parent families.

Crime and unemployment among black males is a values crisis, and transforming these young men to productive beings is an economic as well as a values initiative. This is anything but statism.

It's tough to see how someone who wants to get rid of the IRS, which Huckabee's "fair tax" initiative would do, can be thought of as someone who loves big government.

His plan, which would replace the income tax with a national sales tax, has plenty of detractors, including those who see it as politically impossible to achieve.

But how do you argue with the idea of taxing consumption rather than income and production, and freeing every American family of having to share every intimate detail of their economic life with the government?

On health care, Huckabee has repudiated mandated universal coverage and supports reforms that would allow individuals the same tax preferences for purchasing health coverage as employers and that would allow a national market, rather than our current state-regulated fiefdoms, for buying health care Sounds pretty darned free-market to me.

On Social Security, Huckabee's plan would eliminate the payroll tax and he has expressed support for the idea of personal retirement accounts.

And, of course, Huckabee is a hard-core supporter of understanding the Second Amendment as protection of the rights of individuals to bear arms.

So the simple big-government-loving box into which many want to stick Huckabee is just not an accurate picture of the man. Do I agree with many of the criticisms in areas where he does want to turn to government? Yes.

Mike Huckabee is not a simple guy. But life is not simple. However, he is honest, he is clear and many, including me, appreciate his unequivocal stand for the traditional values that are critical for the future of this country.

This guy sounds really good. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 10:35:43 AM »
This guy sounds really good. 
I'm glad to see that the media is starting to pay attention to him.  Wish they had given Tancredo and Duncan a fair shake as well.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 10:48:48 AM »
Huck has another month to get in the forefront of the Iowa caucus.

Hopefully people pay attention.  I think even most repubs would admit that their top 3 candidates have flipflopped on major issues.  And that McCain is probably too old.  And that Rudy and Mitt spent their lifetimes helping abortion, illegals, and gun banning... and that both men changed positions right before declaring they wanted to be president.

Huck might get my vote.

A Huck/Obama general election would signify americans wanted a change.  Either man would be an improvement over Bush/clinton.