Author Topic: Cheap Entertainment  (Read 2367 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Cheap Entertainment
« on: November 11, 2007, 04:22:39 PM »
For dogs and cats.  It's quite funny watching them chase the little red dot.

:

Geo

• Getbig IV
Re: Cheap Entertainment
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 07:34:49 PM »
For dogs and cats.  It quite funny watching them chase the little red dot.

I heard somewhere that lasers really are'nt good for cats,something about them gettin too wound up and driving them nuts (to the point of gettin really wierd)

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 09:50:35 AM »
We've had our Dog on "red dots" since he was a pup.

Sometimes it's hard to get him exhausted on a walk....so we break out the red dot & have him chase it for 5-10 minutes.  Presto....instant tired dog.

BTW....not all dogs (or even cats) fin it amusing.  I've shown it to alot of dogs & they are like "who cares"

My cat doesn't care for it all.  She just lays there for a few minutes...then goes in the opposite direction to get away from it.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 03:26:31 PM »
We've had our Dog on "red dots" since he was a pup.

Sometimes it's hard to get him exhausted on a walk....so we break out the red dot & have him chase it for 5-10 minutes.  Presto....instant tired dog.

BTW....not all dogs (or even cats) fin it amusing.  I've shown it to alot of dogs & they are like "who cares"

My cat doesn't care for it all.  She just lays there for a few minutes...then goes in the opposite direction to get away from it.

"Red Dots" are like pitbull crack.  I've spent hours giggling like an idiot having my dogs "catch the red dot".  I've also made a few mistakes... .like i no longer show the red dot on doors or walls after my one dog bit a hole in my front door and then a couple months later bit a hole in the wall.  My wife has threatened harm to me if she catches me throwing "Red Dots" at teh walls any more. 

My old boxer used to not like to chase the red dot, so I'd shine the light on his but and my female pit would bite him in the ass.  He'd then jump up and chase her around the yard.  It was funny as hell. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
"Red Dots" are like pitbull crack.  I've spent hours giggling like an idiot having my dogs "catch the red dot".  I've also made a few mistakes... .like i no longer show the red dot on doors or walls after my one dog bit a hole in my front door and then a couple months later bit a hole in the wall.  My wife has threatened harm to me if she catches me throwing "Red Dots" at teh walls any more. 

My old boxer used to not like to chase the red dot, so I'd shine the light on his but and my female pit would bite him in the ass.  He'd then jump up and chase her around the yard.  It was funny as hell. 

No....what you don't want to do is flash the old red dot on someone's back.

;D

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 09:02:35 PM »
I remember an episode of the dog whisperer where a family used to do that with their dog for years.  It eventually developed OCD because it was "looking for the light".

Why use a "red dot" when you can just walk your dog, train them or play fetch with them?  Ridiculous imo, but to each his own lol.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 09:17:21 PM »
I remember an episode of the dog whisperer where a family used to do that with their dog for years.  It eventually developed OCD because it was "looking for the light".

Why use a "red dot" when you can just walk your dog, train them or play fetch with them?  Ridiculous imo, but to each his own lol.

I started with the red dot when I was in veterinary school because it was an outlet for the dogs energy and I could still study.  I'd sit in the chair with a textbook while the dogs chased the dot.  Combined with the treadmill, it worked well. 

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 09:28:23 PM »
I started with the red dot when I was in veterinary school because it was an outlet for the dogs energy and I could still study.  I'd sit in the chair with a textbook while the dogs chased the dot.  Combined with the treadmill, it worked well. 

I dunno there is just something about the red dot thing.  I just find it cruel in a way because it is so intangible for the dog.  Treadmill is okay in my book though, but I could never imagine getting my dog to run on one, lol.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 10:37:59 PM »
I dunno there is just something about the red dot thing.  I just find it cruel in a way because it is so intangible for the dog.  Treadmill is okay in my book though, but I could never imagine getting my dog to run on one, lol.

I think it might depend on how worked up the dogs get too.  My dogs just ran and chased it.  They didn't freak out or whine or anything that suggested that they were getting anxious over the dot. 

I really don't know.  When I started using the laser, they were driving me nuts because they needed an outlet for thier energy.   Chasing the laser seemed like a good outlet.   

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 08:28:02 AM »

Well...I just

(a) finds he enjoys it

(b) gives him good exercise

it would be no different than throwing a ball (IMO) which isn't the most natural object out there in terms of 'pack' toys.

;)

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 09:54:19 AM »
I just don't like the way dogs become fixated on the dot.  With a ball or a squeaky too, you throw it, or fake them out and then throw it, they they run like hell to go get it and shake it up when they catch it(the prey drive) and run back to you squeaking it, happy and proud of themselves.  Plato sits, I say drop it, we do it all over again.  Alot healthier to me.  I dunno, just my theory.  Let's see if we can get flower in this thread RAW FOOD SUCKS maybe she can join us.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 10:00:43 AM »
Our dog is fixated on anything

doesn't matter what it is.  He goes nuts over balls, ropes, frisbee's, etc...

Don't see the difference

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 01:17:59 PM »
When I said cheap entertainment, I meant for myself  ;D  That along with a glass of wine gave me a few good laughs ;D  The gig is up though  :-\  Scout is on to me.
:

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 02:55:59 PM »
When I said cheap entertainment, I meant for myself  ;D  That along with a glass of wine gave me a few good laughs ;D  The gig is up though  :-\  Scout is on to me.

we're all on to you !

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 04:31:35 PM »
Let's see if we can get flower in this thread RAW FOOD SUCKS maybe she can join us.

I don't really think that was necessary!!     >:(

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 05:06:44 PM »
I don't really think that was necessary!!     >:(

It was clearly meant as a joke.  Relax! :)