Author Topic: Dow Crash Coming To Your 401K (2007 to 2022)  (Read 467520 times)

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
Re: Dow crash coming to your 401k..........
« Reply #350 on: January 29, 2008, 03:32:23 AM »

any rally based off interest rate cuts will ultimately fail. do not get sucked in........the worst is not over.

earning is the lifeblood of the market. more interest rate cuts or Bush handing out 600.00 checks will not "stimulate" this economy.

any rally will be sold off  by the big firms.

any deadcat bounce to stocks on interest rate cuts this week while inflation is high and the dollar is weak will fail.

keep in mind, Wall Street is pressuring bernanke for interest cuts as an excuse to rally this BAD market. without the cuts, we go straight to Dow 10,000 w/o a pause. with the cuts, it'll just take a bit longer to get to Dow 10,000.

do not......i repeat........do not get sucked in if you're a long term investor.

NT

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #351 on: January 29, 2008, 08:52:05 AM »
guys, for your reading pleasure.

Home Foreclosure Rate Soars in 2007

2008-01-29
LOS ANGELES (AP) - The number of U.S. homes that slipped into some stage of foreclosure in 2007 was 79 percent higher than in the previous year, a real estate tracking company said Tuesday. Many homeowners started to fall behind on mortgage payments in the last three months, setting the stage for more foreclosures this year.  

About 1.3 million homes received foreclosure-related warnings last year, up from 717,522 in 2006, Irvine-based RealtyTrac Inc. said. Foreclosure filings rose 75 percent from the previous year to 2.2 million.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #352 on: January 29, 2008, 09:03:09 AM »
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- Orders for durable goods rose 5.2% in December, led by aircraft and defense capital goods, the Commerce Department reported Tuesday.

-------

when defense and aircraft lead durable goods orders, it's not positive economic indicator.

NT

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #353 on: January 29, 2008, 11:08:11 AM »
guys, this is NOT a scientific study...... but i spoke with a number of people today who believe a .25bps cut tomorrow will cause the market to head lower, a 50bps cut will initiate another short lived rally.

either way, the general consensus is the market's still in trouble.

besides, WTF do i know ? go ask our resident expert trab.  ;D

Seriously, do you think what you just said here is like "hot" news? Not that im saying you dont know your stuff but it seems to me you are trying to play big.. thats all!

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #354 on: January 29, 2008, 11:18:51 AM »
benz, sorry the previous post bothered you. i was just passing along info. from conversations i recently had. if you believe i'm playing "big", just go to another thread.

have a great day !

It didnt bother me, dont worry

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #355 on: January 29, 2008, 04:02:55 PM »
I dont really scour the market news like NT or others here...so i appreciate getting little clips of it here in this thread.

Wow, a 79% increase in forclosures.....and its just starting too.     Yeah with them tightening credit standards they are going to limit even what business they could have had.  The days of "stated income loans" w/out verification is catching up and will hurl the housing into a market price correction. If people have to tell the truth about incomes ($15hr ).....prices will have to drop.

Thats when i think Ill buy some properties.....but not till rock bottom and thats gonna be awhile because the PPT will make it a slow death by trying to rally the market..  aka  "Kick a dead horse"

Im doing pretty good huh NT.....?    ;D

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #356 on: January 29, 2008, 05:46:59 PM »

Thats when i think Ill buy some properties.....but not till rock bottom and thats gonna be awhile because the PPT will make it a slow death by trying to rally the market..  aka  "Kick a dead horse"

Properties and stock are two seperate types of capital. Stocks are paper, basic appreciating assets, real estate is land it is appreciable in the real sense of feasibility, 2 of Adam Smith's ways of accumulating wealth, your on the right track : )

Real Estate is not bottomed yet not the Market, right now we have to sit out and watch the blame game, for both of them. Look back to the 80's in terms of REOs, and the 78-79 period in terms of stocks and inflationary concerns (oil).

The major indices broke the bull market a few weeks back, it's official, that debate is over and done with Neuro's thread purpose accomplished.

Now the question is how to move your money so as not too continue too lose it, with the economic crisis.

Neuro start another thread,  lol  ;D

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #357 on: January 29, 2008, 05:56:46 PM »
Properties and stock are two seperate types of capital. Stocks are paper, basic appreciating assets, real estate is land it is appreciable in the real sense of feasibility, 2 of Adam Smith's ways of accumulating wealth, your on the right track : )

Real Estate is not bottomed yet not the Market, right now we have to sit out and watch the blame game, for both of them. Look back to the 80's in terms of REOs, and the 78-79 period in terms of stocks and inflationary concerns (oil).

The major indices broke the bull market a few weeks back, it's official, that debate is over and done with Neuro's thread purpose accomplished.

Now the question is how to move your money so as not too continue too lose it, with the economic crisis.

Neuro start another thread,  lol  ;D

Good post.    I like property for that reason, its real, i can walk on it.   Stocks worry me more for my friends and family who have 401ks and dabble in the market.   Thats why trabs posts about daytrading are just BS to me.
Ive always been self-employed and made my own money thru my construction company and property investments when i wanted.

However i realize that my security is dependant on the blue collar workers of the world......if there hurtin, Ill be hurtin.......so gear-Up.. ;D

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #358 on: January 29, 2008, 07:51:40 PM »

Good post.    I like property for that reason, its real, i can walk on it.   Stocks worry me more for my friends and family who have 401ks and dabble in the market.   Thats why trabs posts about daytrading are just BS to me.
Ive always been self-employed and made my own money thru my construction company and property investments when i wanted.

However i realize that my security is dependant on the blue collar workers of the world......if there hurtin, Ill be hurtin.......so gear-Up.. ;D

Yeah, that is part of the problem though for the public "dabbling" in the market. The market is a dangerous place to dabble with your money, only play what you can lose.

I agree, it hurts to see other people in this grand country hurt.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #359 on: January 30, 2008, 02:49:39 AM »
I dont really scour the market news like NT or others here...so i appreciate getting little clips of it here in this thread.

Wow, a 79% increase in forclosures.....and its just starting too.     Yeah with them tightening credit standards they are going to limit even what business they could have had.  The days of "stated income loans" w/out verification is catching up and will hurl the housing into a market price correction. If people have to tell the truth about incomes ($15hr ).....prices will have to drop.

Im doing pretty good huh NT.....?    ;D

financial news is always important to keep an eye on because it gives you the "pulse" of the market. no CNBC spin........just the facts. 

tangible assets like property is always great to buy.....but wait until after the smoke has cleared. i myself will add to my rental inventory in the future as well. personally i would avoid all housing related stocks........their run is over.

opportunities like this are very rare and will pay handsomely to those who are patient. 

great post W.H. you're doing great !  :D

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #360 on: January 30, 2008, 03:24:55 AM »

Neuro start another thread,  lol  ;D

my opinion for the average investor is to just stay OUT of harm's way. when the market begins to stabilize and turn, i'll start another thread (if you want) to let you guys know where i'm investing my money.

patientice and avoiding the market hype is key. anyone who has followed jim cramer or CNBC's advice............have lost bigtime. (nothing but cheerleaders)

NT

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #361 on: January 30, 2008, 03:39:29 AM »

Jan. 30 (Bloomberg) -- UBS AG, Europe's largest bank by assets, reported a record loss after about $14 billion of writedowns on assets infected by subprime mortgages in the U.S.

The fourth-quarter net loss of 12.5 billion Swiss francs ($11.4 billion) was almost double what analysts surveyed by Bloomberg were estimating.

UBS posted its first annual loss since the company was created through a merger a decade ago, with the fourth-quarter drop exceeding the records reported earlier this month by Citigroup Inc. and Merrill Lynch & Co. The collapse of the U.S. subprime mortgage market has led to more than $130 billion of losses and markdowns at securities firms and banks since June.

``The damage is enormous,'' said Dominique Biedermann, director of Ethos Foundation in Geneva that holds UBS shares worth about 80 million francs and has called for an independent audit of the bank's controls. ``It wipes out profit and shows that an inquiry is needed to make sure it doesn't happen again, and eventually whose responsibility this is.''

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #362 on: January 30, 2008, 04:09:02 AM »
F.B.I. Opens Subprime Inquiry

Published: January 30, 2008

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has opened criminal inquiries into 14 companies as part of a wide-ranging investigation of the troubled mortgage industry, F.B.I. officials said Tuesday.

The F.B.I. said it was looking into possible accounting fraud, insider trading or other violations in connection with loans made to borrowers with weak, or subprime, credit.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #363 on: January 30, 2008, 08:55:37 AM »

BTW, i don't write this stuff. i point out what's currently happening economically whether it positive or negative. if involved in the market, you must be completely objective to be successful. often, this type of information helps form underlying market psychology, which ultimately influences big trading firms.

Jan. 30 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. economy teetered on the edge of a recession in the fourth quarter as home construction fell the most in 26 years and Americans cut back on spending.

Gross domestic product increased at an annual rate of 0.6 percent, down from 4.9 percent in the prior three months, the Commerce Department said today in Washington. 

``We're on the verge of a recession,'' said Nariman Behravesh, chief economist at Global Insight Inc., a Lexington, Massachusetts-based forecasting firm. ``The consumer really is tapped out. The housing numbers are going to keep getting worse, at least through mid-year.''

Investors added to bets that the Federal Reserve will reduce its benchmark rate by half a percentage point today. Combined with last week's three-quarter point cut, it would be the fastest easing of monetary policy since 1990. The world's largest economy is reeling from the collapse in subprime lending, falling house prices and a credit squeeze that's eroding business and consumer confidence. Factories also made fewer cars.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #364 on: January 30, 2008, 10:20:51 AM »
Greenspan doubts Fed's ability to prevent recession
2 hours, 10 minutes ago

BERLIN (AFP) - Former Federal Reserve chief Alan Greenspan cast doubt on the ability of the central bank to prevent a US recession in an interview to appear on Thursday.

Greenspan told the German weekly Die Zeit that the Fed or political policies could "probably not" keep the world's biggest economy from sliding into recession, as financial markets widely expected the US central bank to cut its main lending rate.

"The influences of the global economy today are stronger than almost any monetary or budgetary response," the German-language weekly quoted Greenspan as saying.

Although he left the post of Fed chairman two years ago, Greenspan's opinions on the economy are still sought after.

"Real long-term interest rates have much more influence over the heart of economic activity than national decisions," he was quoted as adding.

"And central banks have less and less power to influence long term rates."

The former Fed chief put the chances of a US recession at 50 percent, but added: "We have few indications that would allow us to say we are already there."

Some analysts have said that low interest rates under Greenspan's watch were responsible in part for the US housing bubble that burst last year, and led to the current financial crisis.

Die Zeit quoted him as saying he found it hard to understand that "the Federal Reserve policy had somehow allowed housing and stock prices to rise."

Fallout from the crisis, which began with a meltdown of the US market for high-risk, or subprime, mortgages, continues to rock international financial markets and now threatens the US economy with a recession.

For Greenspan however, the turmoil was "entirely the result of market forces at a global level."

The Fed's Open Market Committee (FOMC) was to announce its decision on US lending rates later on Wednesday.

It surprised markets last week by slashing the base Fed funds rate by three quarters of a percentage point to 3.50 percent, but it is widely expected to follow through with another cut to 3.0 percent.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080130/pl_afp/germanyuseconomygreenspan
w

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #365 on: January 30, 2008, 12:59:49 PM »
Fed could cut rates to 1% and nothing will happen. Middle america has overspent and has nothing left to give.

Housing prices were allowed to go sky high simply because it caused the american people to say something positive about the administration at the time.    Being in a war no one wants...it was a good distraction to buy some time. 
 Most knew that interest rates should have rose to slow down the bubble....but all that was mattered was trying to get people to think positive for awhile.

Well, Now its time to clean up the mess for a huge party givin last nite.....hangover and all.

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #366 on: January 30, 2008, 01:13:50 PM »
I'd like to hear opinions on when the best time to buy a home would be in the next 12-18 months.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #367 on: January 30, 2008, 01:29:55 PM »
I'd like to hear opinions on when the best time to buy a home would be in the next 12-18 months.

yes....its gonna be fun to watch the prices drop.  Even when they do, most wont be approved for the loans with tightend credit standards.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #368 on: January 30, 2008, 02:01:48 PM »
following the .50bps cut today, the market rallied almost 200 points only to give it all back and finish down 37.00 points. traders are selling INTO rallies, as they normally do in bear markets.

not an encouraging sign.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #369 on: January 30, 2008, 02:14:36 PM »

any rally based off interest rate cuts will ultimately fail. do not get sucked in........the worst is not over.

earning is the lifeblood of the market. more interest rate cuts or Bush handing out 600.00 checks will not "stimulate" this economy.

any rally will be sold off by the big firms.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #370 on: January 30, 2008, 02:21:24 PM »
WH is right on the money !  :D
Yes he is.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #371 on: January 30, 2008, 05:11:08 PM »
Yes he is.

Thanks.  Im learning alot around here lately... ;)

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #372 on: January 30, 2008, 06:01:12 PM »
Hey Pretenders....

Here. Here's one for the sky is falling gang - (DOG)
If the sky is falling, why not take a nice chunk of it? Hell, its all redeemable...
Even a dummy  nurocrat can play.

I'm sorry, I overestimated you guys knowledge base, Apparently the DE shitspreader irony was lost.

But THANKS for jogging my memory to peek at the DE chart  8).... It'd Been awhile.... $weet.  :-*   

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #373 on: January 30, 2008, 06:58:22 PM »

Thanks.  Im learning alot around here lately... ;)

Naw, you know it all bud...

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #374 on: January 30, 2008, 07:47:31 PM »
Naw, you know it all bud...

Im ALWAYS Learning.   Mom is fine BTW. ;)