Author Topic: Dow Crash Coming To Your 401K (2007 to 2022)  (Read 467861 times)

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
Re: Dow crash coming to your 401k..........
« Reply #1175 on: July 07, 2008, 05:05:24 PM »
market news.....

Stocks stumble as investors fret about financials
S&P 500 briefly joins Dow industrials and Nasdaq Composite in bear territory

July 7, 2008 NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- U.S. stocks shifted lower Monday to cap a day that started with a rally and dissolved into a steep plunge, as worries banks would be slammed with credit-related losses competed with early cheer fueled by a large drop in the price of crude.

"We were up on the day early as we saw oil prices receding, then fell on concern about financials as we go into earnings - maybe it's a return to normal summer volatility," said Kleintop.

After rising more than 100 points only to fall just as steeply, the Dow Jones Industrial
closed at 11,231.96, off 56.58 points, or 0.5%.

guys, earnings season kicks off tomorrow. right now the market is temporarily oversold, so any glimmer of hope will trigger a short cover BS rally. IMO any rally will ultimately fail as we continue to head lower. i expect the Dow to break below 11,000 in the near future.

as of today, the Dow has tanked 3,000 points since the fall of 07.

Dow in Nov 2007 = 14,200

Dow in July 2008 = 11,200

NT

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #1176 on: July 07, 2008, 06:25:44 PM »
market news.....

Stocks stumble as investors fret about financials
S&P 500 briefly joins Dow industrials and Nasdaq Composite in bear territory

July 7, 2008 NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- U.S. stocks shifted lower Monday to cap a day that started with a rally and dissolved into a steep plunge, as worries banks would be slammed with credit-related losses competed with early cheer fueled by a large drop in the price of crude.

"We were up on the day early as we saw oil prices receding, then fell on concern about financials as we go into earnings - maybe it's a return to normal summer volatility," said Kleintop.

After rising more than 100 points only to fall just as steeply, the Dow Jones Industrial
closed at 11,231.96, off 56.58 points, or 0.5%.

guys, earnings season kicks off tomorrow. right now the market is temporarily oversold, so any glimmer of hope will trigger a short cover BS rally. IMO any rally will ultimately fail as we continue to head lower. i expect the Dow to break below 11,000 in the near future.

as of today, the Dow has tanked 3,000 points since the fall of 07.

Dow in Nov 2007 = 14,200

Dow in July 2008 = 11,200

NT

Heard on the radio today that even Canada is starting to talk about stagflation. Looks like its an all around grim forecast for everyone.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1177 on: July 08, 2008, 01:39:52 AM »
Starts at 2:50. Any opinions?

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1178 on: July 08, 2008, 08:09:01 AM »
The number of homes sold in the US fell more than expected in May, down 14% compared with the same month last year.

Figures from the National Association of Realtors also showed an uneven picture across the country.

States in the south of the country saw the largest fall, down 22.1%, but the number of sales contracts signed in the west was 2% higher than in May 2007.

Property market analysts predict the downturn will continue until next year as Americans fret about the economy.

"You are going to see this trend for a while," said Bob Moulton of American Mortgage Group. "People are nervous about their jobs, they are nervous about getting approved and they are nervous about paying too much for a house."

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1179 on: July 08, 2008, 10:02:26 AM »

as i mentioned before, earnings season begins today. (after the bell ) the earnings bar has been lowered to a point that "beating analysts expectations" should be a walk in the park. couple that with an extremely oversold market and you have the perfect recipe for a violent short cover/bear market rally.

NT

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1180 on: July 08, 2008, 01:13:19 PM »

as i mentioned before, earnings season begins today. (after the bell ) the earnings bar has been lowered to a point that "beating analysts expectations" should be a walk in the park. couple that with an extremely oversold market and you have the perfect recipe for a violent short cover/bear market rally.

NT

U.S. Stocks Climb, Led by Banks; Citigroup, UPS, Wal-Mart Climb

July 8 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. stocks rose the most in almost a month, led by banks and transportation companies, after JPMorgan Chase & Co.'s chief executive officer said losses in credit markets will ease and oil posted its biggest drop since March.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 153.56, or 1.1 percent, to 11,384.52. The Nasdaq Composite Index added 51.8, or 1.9 percent, to 2,294.12. Almost four stocks gained for each that fell on the New York Stock Exchange.

NT

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1181 on: July 08, 2008, 03:30:30 PM »

Alcoa Profit Tops Estimates on Higher Metal Prices 

July 8 (Bloomberg) -- Alcoa Inc., the world's third-largest aluminum producer, reported second-quarter profit that topped analysts' estimates as the company raised prices. The shares gained in after-hours trading.

NT 

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1182 on: July 09, 2008, 02:49:34 AM »
market news....

Fed Sees Turmoil Persisting Deep Into Next Year

July 9, 2008
WASHINGTON — Federal policy makers have concluded that the turmoil plaguing the housing and financial markets is likely to spill deep into 2009, becoming one of the most significant domestic problems to confront the next president when he steps into the White House in January.

Ben S. Bernanke, the chairman of the Federal Reserve, publicly indicated on Tuesday that he believes the problems will persist into next year when he outlined a series of steps the Fed is considering in the coming months.

Treasury Secretary Henry M. Paulson Jr. said in a speech last week in London that the problems of the housing and financial markets might last longer than originally expected.

Mr. Paulson said 1.5 million home foreclosures were started in 2007 and that an estimated 2.5 million more would take place this year. 

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1183 on: July 09, 2008, 05:18:16 AM »
guys, this is how Wall Street really works.  ;)

Study Finds Flawed Practices at Ratings Firms

July 9, 2008
The analyst at the credit ratings agency was blunt: Let’s hope we are all wealthy and retired by the time this house of cards falters.”

That candid assessment, sent by e-mail to a colleague in December 2006, referred to the market for certain investments linked to subprime mortgagesinvestments that were assigned top AAA ratings from major agencies, only to later plummet in value.

That e-mail message and dozens like it were disclosed Tuesday in a blistering 37-page report issued by the Securities and Exchange Commission, which confirmed what many on Wall Street had long suspected: the major ratings firms, including Fitch, Moody’s and Standard & Poor’s, flouted conflict of interest guidelines and considered their own profits when rating securities, among other suspect practices.

The report represented a definitive dent in the aura of objectivity that has been cultivated for decades by ratings firms, considered the ivory towers of Wall Street. 

It could be structured by cows and we would rate it,” an analyst wrote in April 2007

NT

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1184 on: July 09, 2008, 07:55:58 AM »
Ben S. Bernanke, the chairman of the Federal Reserve, publicly indicated on Tuesday that he believes the problems will persist into next year when he outlined a series of steps the Fed is considering in the coming months.

Step 1. Give banks money.
Step 2. Give banks money.
Step 3. Give banks money.
Step 4. Give banks money.

ad infinitum

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1185 on: July 09, 2008, 01:22:20 PM »
market news....

U.S. Stocks Tumble, Sending S&P 500 to Bear Market; Banks Slide

July 9 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. stocks slid, sending the Standard & Poor's 500 Index into its first bear market since 2002, after rising borrowing costs spurred concern the biggest mortgage finance companies may not weather the housing slump.

The S&P 500 lost 29.01 points, or 2.3 percent, to 1,244.69. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 236.77, or 2.1 percent, to 11,147.44. The Nasdaq Composite Index plunged 59.55, or 2.6 percent, to 2,234.89. Almost four stocks declined for each that rose on the New York Stock Exchange.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1186 on: July 09, 2008, 04:27:10 PM »
since thread started.....Dow, S&P and Nasdaq ALL DOWN 20+ percent.   ;)

NT

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1187 on: July 09, 2008, 07:09:58 PM »
For old times sake. At 4:17. hahaha, hmmm  :-\

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1188 on: July 10, 2008, 06:00:50 AM »
guys, for comic relief let's look at the jobs report released this morning. apparently, jobless claims went "down" while continuing jobless claims rose to their highest level since 2003.   ;D

U.S. initial jobless claims hit lowest level since April

July 10, 2008
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- First-time claims for U.S. unemployment benefits fell by 58,000 in the latest week, the Labor Department reported Thursday. At 346,000, initial claims were the lowest since April. The four-week average of those claims fell to 380,500, while continuing claims hit their highest level since December 2003. Continuing claims rose to 3.20 million, and the four-week average of continuing claims rose to 3.13 million

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1189 on: July 10, 2008, 09:57:42 AM »
guys, IMO do not buy into ANY "rally" at this point. all rallies are being "sold into" by professionals.

NT

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1190 on: July 11, 2008, 07:55:38 AM »
The heads of the Federal Reserve and the US Treasury have moved to calm fears about the financial health of the nation's two largest mortgage firms.

Shares in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac hit 17-year lows in Thursday trading amid talk of a government bail-out.

Ben Bernanke and Henry Paulson also called for new powers to shield the economy from crises such as the collapse of a Wall Street firm.

They told the US Congress they needed to modernise the regulatory system.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1191 on: July 11, 2008, 08:06:17 AM »
July 11 (Bloomberg) -- Prices of goods imported into the U.S. rose more than forecast in June as record energy costs and a decline in the dollar made purchases of foreign products more expensive.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1192 on: July 11, 2008, 05:00:43 PM »
Shares in US mortgage firms Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae dropped by as much as 50% in rollercoaster trading on Friday amid concerns for their future.

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1193 on: July 11, 2008, 06:57:38 PM »
Shares in US mortgage firms Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae dropped by as much as 50% in rollercoaster trading on Friday amid concerns for their future.

They own 5.2 trillion in loans made with money that does not, has not, and will not ever exist.

Are you going to be at the rally, or did you chicken out?  You have my # give me a call if you make it down here.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1194 on: July 15, 2008, 03:44:34 AM »
guys, DO NOT listen to any advice regarding stocks on TV. IMO we continue to head much lower.

i expect breaking Dow 11,000 very soon. from there, my short term downside target is 10,800

worst market conditions i've seen in 20+ yrs.

NT

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1195 on: July 15, 2008, 07:16:59 AM »

just so everybody understands......when i talk about exiting the market for safety, i only believe this makes sense for the average investor when a BIG DOWNTURN may occur. this thread is NOT about trading etc. this thread was started because my experience leads me to believe that a recession is on the horizon. with a recession comes a corresponding LARGE stock market correction. both recessionary and bubble (real estate) corrections many times take yrs to recover loses. (think dot-com bubble)

it makes no sense for the average guy to jump in and out of the market for the "normal ups and downs". if investors would AVOID the big corrections, their returns would increase significantly.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1196 on: July 15, 2008, 01:37:44 PM »
guys, DO NOT listen to any advice regarding stocks on TV. IMO we continue to head much lower.

i expect breaking Dow 11,000 very soon. from there, my short term downside target is 10,800

worst market conditions i've seen in 20+ yrs.

ok guys, today we broke Dow 11,000 then bounced off 10,827 to end the session @ 10,962.57 down 92 points. the market continues to show weakness especially in the financials. without the financials, this market goes nowhere... but lower.

with some blood in the water, people are beginning to get nervous.

NT

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #1197 on: July 15, 2008, 02:05:08 PM »
10860 as we speak. How much lower my copy/paste pirate friend?

I'm thinking you'll see a final of around 10,420... Then I'd recommend a buy rating.

Hell, even Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are starting to look good with government financing now. Buy Fannie at 6 or 7 and watch a rise to about 23 in a year.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1198 on: July 15, 2008, 03:44:09 PM »
we're not close.  ;)

NT

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #1199 on: July 15, 2008, 04:22:46 PM »
ok guys, today we broke Dow 11,000 then bounced off 10,827 to end the session @ 10,962.57 down 92 points. the market continues to show weakness especially in the financials. without the financials, this market goes nowhere... but lower.

with some blood in the water, people are beginning to get nervous.

NT  8)

People should be nervous.  The entire financial system is bordering on collapse and we have a President that is a moron.