Author Topic: Dow Crash Coming To Your 401K (2007 to 2022)  (Read 466207 times)

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
Re: Dow crash coming to your 401k (**Strictly Moderated--SEE FIRST POST**)
« Reply #1975 on: March 13, 2009, 08:27:32 AM »

Dow should be at 10,000 by 2 pm today.

good call :)

nicky.smth

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Hugo Chavez looks like hugo chavez
« Reply #1976 on: March 13, 2009, 10:01:14 AM »
Freddie Mac wants $30.8 billion more

Record jobless number

Buffett's Berkshire loses 'perfect' rating

GE loses perfect rating

China worried about safety of U.S. debt

More stimulus needed? Possibly

Fudged numbers

Dow should be at 10,000 by 2020.

fixed

nicky.smth

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Hugo Chavez looks like hugo chavez
« Reply #1977 on: March 13, 2009, 10:04:49 AM »
bush has systematically destroyed this country financially.

our country is heading for a severe recession as a result of his failed policies.

in the coming months, the stock market will come crashing down. mark my words.

cash is king !

[ADDED BY HUGO CHAVEZ:  this thread is being strickly moderated.  Post whatever you want but do so in a constructive fashion.  All ownage or non constructive type posts are subject to removal, if you have an issue with this take it up with Ron in complaints]

Great call NT, great vision..

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #1978 on: March 13, 2009, 10:10:49 AM »
Freddie Mac wants $30.8 billion more

Record jobless number

Buffett's Berkshire loses 'perfect' rating

GE loses perfect rating

China worried about safety of U.S. debt

More stimulus needed? Possibly

Fudged numbers

Dow should be at 10,000 before Memorial Day 2010.

fixed
!

Alex23

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #1980 on: March 14, 2009, 01:09:56 AM »
Dream on boys.

Alex23

« Reply #1981 on: March 14, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
Dream on boys.

You're one of those negative bear laggers... you will miss the boat. Wait; you already did  :-*

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1982 on: March 14, 2009, 11:14:02 AM »
You're one of those negative bear laggers... you will miss the boat. Wait; you already did  :-*
yep, gotta love these types

I'd sigh as I tried to educate them, only to watch them consistently panic and take their money out of the market towards the bottom. Of course they jump back in after the institutional investors reaped tremendous profits and the best bargains are long gone. I've been in this game a long time (although I'm not as old as Neuro  :D).
!

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1983 on: March 16, 2009, 06:36:40 PM »
and the best bargains are long gone. 

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1984 on: March 18, 2009, 12:10:42 PM »

I don't why I am being quoted, since the response makes ZERO sense relative to what I wrote. 

What is your experience in financial services and wealth management, BD? As a financial professional of many years, I'd sincerely like your perspective on matters. No one has a crystal ball. However, instead of making contrarian posts to everything I write, how about adding some substance to your opinions by telling us why the markets won't recover. Are you predicting the demise of capitalism as an economic system, and the downfall of the U.S.?  ::)

What is your background that allows you to make such long term pessimistic assumptions? Please tell me it isn't simply that every one of my posts leave you butt hurt as you follow me around when I post on this board. Obviously you hate Obama and I get in your head consistently, but that should not prohibit you from trying to make money.  :-\

When irrational fear is removed, there are excellent equity valuations to be had. An ongoing shift to normalcy suggests that now is an excellent time to buy stocks in general and cheap stocks in particular. That is, unless you are over the age of saay, 55. You need to have the knowledge of how to evaluate companies. Many currently have single-digit price/earnings ratios, healthy dividend yields and strong balance sheets. This should be the starting point in research for the serious investor.
!

Ganuvanx

• Getbig II
  • There's somethin out there, and it ain't no man.
« Reply #1985 on: March 18, 2009, 02:43:26 PM »
Enjoy this manipulated up time period in the Dow. They are just pulling suckers into the market who believe a recovery is in the works. We may see as high as 8000. Please read between the lines though. The Dow will crash to below 5000 before the year is out. 

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1986 on: March 18, 2009, 05:37:08 PM »
Enjoy this manipulated up time period in the Dow. They are just pulling suckers into the market who believe a recovery is in the works. We may see as high as 8000. Please read between the lines though. The Dow will crash to below 5000 before the year is out. 

Bingo.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1987 on: March 18, 2009, 05:47:34 PM »
I don't why I am being quoted, since the response makes ZERO sense relative to what I wrote. 

What is your experience in financial services and wealth management, BD? As a financial professional of many years, I'd sincerely like your perspective on matters. No one has a crystal ball. However, instead of making contrarian posts to everything I write, how about adding some substance to your opinions by telling us why the markets won't recover. Are you predicting the demise of capitalism as an economic system, and the downfall of the U.S.?  ::)

What is your background that allows you to make such long term pessimistic assumptions? Please tell me it isn't simply that every one of my posts leave you butt hurt as you follow me around when I post on this board. Obviously you hate Obama and I get in your head consistently, but that should not prohibit you from trying to make money.  :-\

When irrational fear is removed, there are excellent equity valuations to be had. An ongoing shift to normalcy suggests that now is an excellent time to buy stocks in general and cheap stocks in particular. That is, unless you are over the age of saay, 55. You need to have the knowledge of how to evaluate companies. Many currently have single-digit price/earnings ratios, healthy dividend yields and strong balance sheets. This should be the starting point in research for the serious investor.

hahahahaa You're in my head? I think it's the other way around as I never spend as much time or effort typing a long winded response such as yours to anyone on here. Maybe next time you can go for 6 paragraphs.  ;) :-*

On a serious note, what do you think about the Fed's move earlier today in the long term scheme of things? How badly do you think the dollar will suffer from this move? How quickly and how much of this new reserve creation will make its way into the  narrow money supply, in your opinion?

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #1988 on: March 18, 2009, 10:39:36 PM »
 :(

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1989 on: March 19, 2009, 08:15:57 AM »
Gold +68.90 +7.75% 958.00    :o :o :o

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1990 on: March 19, 2009, 10:11:28 AM »
Gold +68.90 +7.75% 958.00    :o :o :o

???

Gold + 15.20   958.00
R

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1991 on: March 19, 2009, 10:12:37 AM »
NT, do you think the dollar will be at  50 or 60 at some point this year?

Also, is your plane insured by AIG?
R

astro

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1992 on: March 19, 2009, 10:33:17 AM »
???

Gold + 15.20   958.00

yesterday it shot up big time

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1993 on: March 19, 2009, 11:28:39 AM »
yesterday it shot up big time
Oh!  Thanks
R

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1994 on: March 19, 2009, 01:38:31 PM »
NT, do you think the dollar will be at  50 or 60 at some point this year?

Also, is your plane insured by AIG?

The dollar is going to go through the floor thanks to the Fed.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #1995 on: March 19, 2009, 02:48:55 PM »
yep, gotta love these types

I'd sigh as I tried to educate them, only to watch them consistently panic and take their money out of the market towards the bottom. Of course they jump back in after the institutional investors reaped tremendous profits and the best bargains are long gone. I've been in this game a long time (although I'm not as old as Neuro  :D).
are you saying that when your money is near the bottom you ride it out and wait utill it goes back up?

if so, why are you letting your money sit in a falling stock in the first place?

lol

epic first post acting like a stock expert

i just saw this thread 4 the first time..   read the first 15 pages or so... seems alex was pwned by neurotoxin back in november of 07 as far as predicting the events to come... im guessing neurotoxin works down in the stock market area thingie where all the dudes run around yelling

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1996 on: March 19, 2009, 11:21:53 PM »
Looks like tomarrow might be a brutal start, futures are down 72.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1997 on: March 22, 2009, 09:24:37 PM »
are you saying that when your money is near the bottom you ride it out and wait utill it goes back up?

if so, why are you letting your money sit in a falling stock in the first place?
I am stating if you can read english is that a falling prices not based on fundamentals present tremendous buying opportunities.  ::) If you want to wait until the DOW hits 12,000 and then develop the courage to invest in equities, be my guest. That is not how I watched clients in my firm lose money time and again over my thirteen years in this business. Sell during the downturn, park your money in investments barely beating inflation, and get killed in brokerage fees. Then buy back in after equities are much higher, and again have your broker take a nice cut for his services.  ::) Hey, as a former broker this type of churning of stock is great for my bank account, but not intelligent investing.

What I'm also saying son that as a PROFESSIONAL I have certain barometers in place that I utilize to take in profits during in a bull market.  However, like anyone else I take a hit when the market tanks, particularly when the sell off is not based on irrationality and not financial statements.

Most of you who are not professionals and are looking to save for retirement should be doing exactly that...letting your money sit in a falling stock market. You have a long-term time horizon and should not be concerned with a five year chart like the crap Bindare posted. You should be utilizing dollar cost averaging and playing index funds. This is for those who do not have the expertise to do a comprehensive financial analysis.
!

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1998 on: March 22, 2009, 09:29:02 PM »
EXPERT ADVICE: Top investing minds take on the downturn

But legendary stock-picker Peter Lynch thinks bargains are so plentiful now, "you feel like a mosquito in a nudist colony."

And Burton Malkiel, author of the classic investing book "A Random Walk Down Wall Street," is sticking to his long-held belief in investing in index funds. That's because judging from history, what we're seeing now is "not anything terribly unusual," he says.

Two years into the financial crisis, our retirement savings have been halved. The unemployment rate is the highest it's been in a quarter-century. And around the globe, economies are suffering the sharpest downturns in decades.

BURTON MALKIEL, professor of economics at Princeton University and author of "A Random Walk Down Wall Street."
We turn to some top investing minds for their take on the situation. Their words have been edited and condensed.

On the economy
This recession is being compared in its severity to the Great Depression, and I suppose in terms of how fast unemployment is going up and how worldwide it is, it probably bears some similarity to the Great Depression.

But I want to emphasize I don't think we're going into a Great Depression. For one thing, the money supply dropped by 25 percent during the Great Depression. Today, the Federal Reserve's balance sheet is expanding dramatically.

And central banks around the world are doing the same thing with respect to fiscal policy. I think the Obama stimulus plan could be much better. I think it may even be too modest. But at any rate, it's a big stimulus plan. Relative to what we did in the Great Depression, this is real money.

On investing
What's going on now is not anything terribly unusual. There have been many, many periods in the past where the stock market has been absolutely terrible for a decade or more. Unless you think that all of the sudden, the whole U.S. economy is going to go into reverse and never going to return, I think the stock market will prove its worth again in the future.

Does that mean we're going to recover right now? Who knows. What we do know about the stock market is that, after very long periods of hibernation or decline, it typically produces quite generous returns. If you've got a 10- or 20-year horizon, this is probably a very good time to invest in stocks.

I'm an indexer. I'd buy a very broad total stock market fund. I think you ought to buy a total bond market fund that has safe Treasury bonds, and also corporate bonds which now have very generous spreads over Treasurys. I also think everybody should have a safe (cash) reserve for contingency. Money markets are a fine place to be.

PETER LYNCH, former manager of the flagship Magellan Fund at Fidelity Investments

On the economy
We've had 11 recessions since World War II and we've had a perfect score -- 11 recoveries. There are a lot of natural cushions in the economy now that weren't there in the 1930s. They keep things from getting out of control.

We have the Federal Deposit Insurance Co. (which insures bank deposits). We have social security. We have pensions. We have two-person, working families. We have unemployment payments. And we have a Federal Reserve with a brain.

On investing
I would not disagree that corporate bonds look attractive versus money markets. But I would think stocks are more attractive. But you have to have a time horizon further out than three weeks from Wednesday. Even one year, two years is not long enough. I'm very happy and content that five, 10, 15 years from now, corporate profits will be higher and the stock market will be a lot higher.

This dramatic decline in stock prices has affected great companies and good companies and mediocre companies. It's brought them all down. Bargains are all over the place. There are so many attractive stocks out there. But they keep going down. I've definitely been pounded. To use a golf analogy, I'd like to take a couple of mulligans.
!

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1999 on: April 01, 2009, 08:16:06 AM »
OCC Reports Fourth Quarter Bank Trading Loss

WASHINGTON — U.S. commercial banks reported a $9.2 billion trading loss for the fourth quarter of 2008, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency reported today in the OCC's Quarterly Report on Bank Trading and Derivatives Activities. For 2008, banks reported an annual trading loss of $836 million, compared to trading revenues of $5.5 billion in 2007.

“While banks reported reasonably strong client demand and wide intermediation spreads in the fourth quarter, large write-downs on legacy credit positions continued to take a toll on trading results,” Deputy Comptroller for Credit and Market Risk Kathryn E. Dick said. “Trading results continue to reflect large changes in the fair values of derivatives receivables and payables, based upon market participants’ views of the credit quality of both banks and their counterparties.”

Ms. Dick noted that trading results suffered from an unfavorable combination of higher overall corporate credit spreads and lower bank credit spreads, each of which result in trading losses.

The report shows that the notional amount of derivatives held by insured U.S. commercial banks increased by $25 trillion (14 percent) in the fourth quarter to $200 trillion. The increase resulted from the migration of investment bank derivatives activity into the commercial banking system. Interest rate contracts increased $27 trillion to $164 trillion, while credit derivatives fell 2 percent to $16 trillion.

The OCC also reported that net current credit exposure, the primary metric the OCC uses to measure credit risk in derivatives activities, increased $364 billion, or 84 percent, during the quarter to $800 billion. “The sharp decline in interest rates continues to increase derivative exposures, both payables and receivables,” Ms. Dick said.

She also noted that, similar to the notional derivatives increase, migration of derivatives activity from investment banks into the commercial banking system accelerated the growth in credit exposure.

The report also noted that:
Derivatives contracts are concentrated in a small number of institutions. The largest five banks hold 96 percent of the total notional amount of derivatives, while the largest 25 banks hold nearly 100 percent.
Credit default swaps are the dominant product in the credit derivatives market, representing 98 percent of total credit derivatives.
The number of commercial banks holding derivatives increased by 33 in the quarter to 1,010.