Author Topic: They're Just Out to Get this Poor Woman...  (Read 963 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
They're Just Out to Get this Poor Woman...
« on: November 13, 2007, 09:02:12 AM »
La. Pol's 'Buckwheat' Remark Sparks Ire
18 hours ago

HOUMA, La. (AP) — A white state lawmaker in a runoff election called a black civil-rights veteran who had helped her campaign "Buckwheat," prompting the NAACP to urge voters to kick her out of office.

Rep. Carla Blanchard Dartez, a Democrat, acknowledged that she ended a Thursday night conversation with Hazel Boykin by saying, "Talk to you later, Buckwheat." Dartez had been thanking Boykin for driving voters to the polls.

Buckwheat, a black child character in the "Little Rascals" comedies of the 1930s and '40s, is viewed as a racial stereotype.

Boykin, 75, helped desegregate restaurants and the parish school system in the 1960s. Her son, Jerome, is president of the Terrebonne Parish chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

"I've never had no one talk to me that way and I considered it a racial slur," Hazel Boykin said. "I know the meaning of it, it's just like the N-word."

Jerome Boykin said Monday he planned to ask voters to cast ballots against Dartez, who faces Republican Joe Harrison in Saturday's runoff.

"At this point, the NAACP is not concerned about the Democratic Party or the Republican Party. If a Republican is elected because of her racist remarks, that's her responsibility," he said of Dartez.

Dartez did not immediately return a call Monday.

"I made an insensitive comment, and I regret my choice of words," she said Friday. "I have apologized to both Hazel and Jerome Boykin. The Boykin family has been a huge help in my campaign for re-election, and I did not mean to offend them."

Dartez has represented parts of Terrebonne, St. Mary and Assumption parishes since 1999. She has said she does not intend to drop out of the race.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
Re: They're Just Out to Get this Poor Woman...
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 09:17:21 AM »
"I've never had no one talk to me that way and I considered it a racial slur," Hazel Boykin said. "I know the meaning of it, it's just like the N-word."

Firstly, let me point out the double negative here. Or should I say: don't let me not point out the double negative.

I'll assume she's trying to say she's never been abused with a racial slur before? If so, I find that very hard to believe.

Secondly do black people really rate it up their with the n-word? ???
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 09:30:19 AM »
Firstly, let me point out the double negative here. Or should I say: don't let me not point out the double negative.

I'll assume she's trying to say she's never been abused with a racial slur before? If so, I find that very hard to believe.

Secondly do black people really rate it up their with the n-word? ???
Not sure, why don't you go ask the reigning MMA champ Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.  He could probably give you a definitive on that. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 09:58:27 AM »
Not sure, why don't you go ask the reigning MMA champ Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.  He could probably give you a definitive on that. 

Oh no he didn't!  LOL.   :D

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 10:14:55 AM »
Oh no he didn't!  LOL.   :D
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 12:10:20 PM »

"Talk to you later, Buckwheat."

What the fuck?  Is the person who said that 12 years old?

Why would someone even think about calling a 75-year-old woman - regardless of race - something other than her name? 

It creeps me out when the neighbor kid calls me by my first name (some bullshit they teach out here in California). 

Anyone stupid enough to say what that lady said is too stupid to be elected in the first place. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 07:00:01 AM »
Why the hell would u call somebody who helped u out, a name period. I don't get this one at all.
L