Author Topic: NPC Nationals: Centopani is looking like shit.  (Read 6686 times)

EBA84

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Centopani looking like shit.
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2007, 11:09:42 AM »
Keep in mind that on this type of diet, you've been depleted of carbs for 3-4 months, and because of that you don't need a massive carb load...your body is going to be in a very sensitive state when it comes to carbs, and almost any amount will blow you up...

When you kick carbs up, your metabolism is going to burn even hotter which means you need even more carbs. The more you are depleted, the hotter your metabolism is going to run and the more carbs you are going to need. Ever wonder why you start sweating your ass off when you carb up? If you cut the carbs short during this period, you will never totally fill out.

My last contest I ate almost 4000 grams of carbs in 3 days and still wasn't totally filled out. I ate even more carbs after prejudging and finally filled out by the night show. I took my temperature over the 3 day period and it was anywhere from 99 at the start to 101.5 in the middle of the carb up. This directly correleates to how hot your metabolism is running.

Eating 30 to 50 grams of carbs every three hours isn't going to dick to fill you out unless you are using insulin.

EBA84

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2007, 11:26:35 AM »

Actually it makes perfect sense. Why do you need a bunch of carbs while dieting? Carbs do not build muscle, they don't preserve muscle...they are simply an energy source...hey, guess what, so is fat...and wouldn't you rather tap in exclusively to your own bodyfat for an energy source then anything else?
Bullshit.

Carbs don't build muscle but they give the energy needed for workouts that help retain muscle so indirectly they do build muscle. Fat is not going to give you the energy for intense workout precontest. I am all for low carbs but not everyday of the diet. One cheat meal a week is not going to do shit to refuel lost glycogen stores that are needed for intense workouts. I can see this dieting approach possibly working on smaller guys but not on heavyweights or superheavyweights.

Noel Fuller

• Getbig IV
Re: NPC Nationals: Centopani is looking like shit.
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2007, 11:34:55 AM »
Some people do really well on Dave's diet others do not. I never use this diet as its too hit and miss for me and when a pro competes we don't have the luxury of trial and error. 

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2007, 02:17:20 PM »
When you kick carbs up, your metabolism is going to burn even hotter which means you need even more carbs. The more you are depleted, the hotter your metabolism is going to run and the more carbs you are going to need. Ever wonder why you start sweating your ass off when you carb up? If you cut the carbs short during this period, you will never totally fill out.

My last contest I ate almost 4000 grams of carbs in 3 days and still wasn't totally filled out. I ate even more carbs after prejudging and finally filled out by the night show. I took my temperature over the 3 day period and it was anywhere from 99 at the start to 101.5 in the middle of the carb up. This directly correleates to how hot your metabolism is running.

Eating 30 to 50 grams of carbs every three hours isn't going to dick to fill you out unless you are using insulin.
I understand what you're saying about the carb up. However, when you've been completely depleted of carbs for 3-4 months, your bodies reaction to a small carb up right before the show seems to be a bit differant then say if you only depleted your carbs the last wk like you would in many other diets.

Carbs don't build muscle but they give the energy needed for workouts that help retain muscle so indirectly they do build muscle. Fat is not going to give you the energy for intense workout precontest. I am all for low carbs but not everyday of the diet. One cheat meal a week is not going to do shit to refuel lost glycogen stores that are needed for intense workouts. I can see this dieting approach possibly working on smaller guys but not on heavyweights or superheavyweights.
In normal circumstances this is correct...the fats won't give you the energy you need for training. However, once you're in ketosis this is not the case...your body has adjusted to relying on fats for fuel, relying on fats as it's primary source for energy. To get to this point can take usually up to 3-4 days...in some people it may take up to a wk.

As for the cheat meal, the main purpose for this is not to refill glycogen stores but rather to simply spike the metabolism...it isn't enough to throw you out of ketosis for more then a few hours max.

As for the diet itself in general terms....I know a lot of people are skeptical and they have good reason to be since it is not the standard norm...it's easy to get comfortable to what we are used to. Since that is the case, the only way to know if it works or not at this stage is to try it yourself and then go from there.

Some people do really well on Dave's diet others do not. I never use this diet as its too hit and miss for me and when a pro competes we don't have the luxury of trial and error. 

I disagree. A lot of what pro's do is trial and error any way...think about it, if this wasn't the case then you wouldn't have guys changing nutritional guru's every year over and over again until they find the right one...a lot of times they never find one they are completely satisfied with.

Look at Tony Feeman though...I'd be willing to bet that he wished he hadn't left Dave during his last contest prep. His showing at the O was a far cry from where it was at his previous shows when he was following the Dave style diets and prep.