Author Topic: Iraq war deaths show sharp decline  (Read 1053 times)

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
Iraq war deaths show sharp decline
« on: November 16, 2007, 07:36:28 AM »
Lets use current numbers in our debates huh boys?

Thirty-seven Americans have died in October, the lowest monthly figure since March 2006 when 31 perished, according to the U.S. military.

Three soldiers died Tuesday southeast of Baghdad when a roadside bomb struck a U.S. military patrol.

The number of Iraqi civilians killed in September was 844, down from 1,990 in January, according to Iraqi governmental figures provided to CNN.

Slain bodies found dumped in Baghdad dropped from 428 in August to 301 in September and 151 so far in October, the Iraqi Interior Ministry said.

The numbers mark a decline in fatalities since the war began in March 2003 and point to a decrease in violence after a year of pitched battles and sectarian strife.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/10/30/iraq.main/index.html
gotta love life

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
Re: Iraq war deaths show sharp decline
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 07:49:38 AM »
lets see how would you put it....

crickets]
gotta love life

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 08:02:50 AM »
This progress in the reduction of violence is due in large part to the success of ethnic cleansing in Iraq.  Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction (SIGIR) Stuart Bowen, in his quarterly report to Congress for the GAO http://www.sigir.mil/reports/quarterlyreports/Oct07/pdf/Report_-_October_2007.pdf stated that along with the following:

"Despite reduced violence, officials are pessimistic that lasting reconciliation is occurring. … In Diyala, there is a desire to work toward reconciliation, but it will take years to overcome ill-will between tribes."

Complete contradiction of Petraeus's statement that local reconciliation has occurred.

Political progress was the whole goal of the Surge.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 08:10:21 AM »
This progress in the reduction of violence is due in large part to the success of ethnic cleansing in Iraq.  Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction (SIGIR) Stuart Bowen, in his quarterly report to Congress for the GAO http://www.sigir.mil/reports/quarterlyreports/Oct07/pdf/Report_-_October_2007.pdf stated that along with the following:

"Despite reduced violence, officials are pessimistic that lasting reconciliation is occurring. … In Diyala, there is a desire to work toward reconciliation, but it will take years to overcome ill-will between tribes."

Complete contradiction of Petraeus's statement that local reconciliation has occurred.

Political progress was the whole goal of the Surge.

You are just picking your side of view Decker. Why not take both sides and look down the middle. I mean no one thinks that these tribes will work this out over night and of course it will take years, but to completely discredit Petraeus and say that no local reconciliation has occured is just blind on your part.

there is a desire that is a huge statement if you ask me. Was that desire there 5 years ago?

What about the fact that this was the quietest Ramadan since the war began..usually the high point of violence during the year...I was reading the other day (I'll see if I can find it) that according to a local travel agent, the flights leaving Iraq are near empty, where as the flights inbound are packed to the gills with refugees returning.

Things are getting better sorry to say. I just hoep as a nation we have the apples to see it through.
gotta love life

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 08:21:34 AM »
You are just picking your side of view Decker. Why not take both sides and look down the middle. I mean no one thinks that these tribes will work this out over night and of course it will take years, but to completely discredit Petraeus and say that no local reconciliation has occured is just blind on your part.

there is a desire that is a huge statement if you ask me. Was that desire there 5 years ago?

What about the fact that this was the quietest Ramadan since the war began..usually the high point of violence during the year...I was reading the other day (I'll see if I can find it) that according to a local travel agent, the flights leaving Iraq are near empty, where as the flights inbound are packed to the gills with refugees returning.

Things are getting better sorry to say. I just hoep as a nation we have the apples to see it through.
The desire of the people to reconcile under a new democracy is similar to the desire of the people of the governments installed by the Soviets:  The people are tired of dying and will play ball with the installed puppet government at some point just to get by.

1/6 of the country has fled.  Thousands have died.  Millions have lost everything--family-businesses. 

I'm still looking for the silver lining and how all this makes the US one bit safer from Al Qaeda terrorism.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 08:25:42 AM »
"The people are tired of dying and will play ball with the installed puppet government at some point just to get by"

oh come the fuck on...you thikn these people don't really want peace after thousands of years of violence and realize this is there first real oppurtunity?

1/6th might have fled but guess what, many of them are coming back

I know you think we can just sit within our borders and wait for an attack, but teams that only play to not lose the game as opposed to playing to win the game are never sucessful.
gotta love life

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 08:25:58 AM »
We're kicking the shit out of AQ. Thats a fact. Whether other groups come in..or we just kick the wmd can down the road for a resurgent AQ to try something, I'm not sure. But right now we're killing them faster then they can replace hardcore terrorists..suicide bombers don't count. The smart guys are getting rolled up.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 08:33:33 AM »
"The people are tired of dying and will play ball with the installed puppet government at some point just to get by"

oh come the fuck on...you thikn these people don't really want peace after thousands of years of violence and realize this is there first real oppurtunity?

1/6th might have fled but guess what, many of them are coming back

I know you think we can just sit within our borders and wait for an attack, but teams that only play to not lose the game as opposed to playing to win the game are never sucessful.

The ethnic differences btn Shia and Sunni have been at each other's throats for thousands of years.

How do you think an attack on the country by a 3rd party, installing a puppet government, will change those ethnic differences?

That is the height of starry-eyed dreaming if you ask me.

Iraq did not have the capability to attack the US.  It really is that simple.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »
Bush was not willing to bet ur life on that. I'm not willing to bet ur life on that. The mind set changed after 911.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 08:37:35 AM »
We're kicking the shit out of AQ. Thats a fact. Whether other groups come in..or we just kick the wmd can down the road for a resurgent AQ to try something, I'm not sure. But right now we're killing them faster then they can replace hardcore terrorists..suicide bombers don't count. The smart guys are getting rolled up.
We are kicking the shit out of Iraqi people.  A very small percentage of the attacks (15%) are by foreign fighters with some Al Qaeda connection...drawn to the area by US forces.

It is convenient though to think that, in Iraq, we are killing those damn terrorists that attacked us on 9/11.  That's really not the case though.

The majority of deaths are those of Iraqis attacking the invading and occupying US forces.  That doesnot make me feel anything even remotely good to have to type those words.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 09:44:06 AM »

Right.  All this talk about us "losing" the war is ridiculous. 

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 11:06:47 AM »
Dems have had many chances to end the war.  They don't have the guts to END funding.  They don't.  They might in 2008 if a Dem wins the WH.  They don't now.
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 01:15:29 PM »
This really pisses me off!!!!!   >:( >:( >:(   Oppose the war all you want, just do the right thing and give these guys what is necessary to do their job.  >:( >:(

Opposing The War And The Troops

Congressional liberals did it again. After going 0-for-40 on legislation to force America’s “retreat and defeat” in Iraq, the House voted 218-to-203 last night to provide only a quarter of the funding for the war in Iraq that President Bush requested. Worse, the bill came with strings demanding hard deadlines for troop withdrawals. This vote came in spite of the fact that progress is being made – progress even the New York Times has acknowledged – and some troops are coming home. The Senate took up the bill this morning, but it failed to get enough votes to overcome a Republican filibuster.

The anti-war liberals in Congress are drawing a line in the sand to appease their radical leftwing base at MoveOn.org. Senate Democrat Leader Harry Reid has essentially told the president, “Take it or leave it.” According to the Associated Press, “Reid and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said this week that if Congress cannot pass legislation that ties war money to troop withdrawals, they would not send Bush a bill this year.” The results could be staggering. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates said that if full funding isn’t provided soon, “he is faced with the undesirable task of preparing to cease operations at Army bases by mid-February, and lay off about 100,000 Defense Department employees and an equal number of civilian contractors.”

A White House spokesman responded to Congress’ failure to fund our troops by saying, “We’d rather see the Department of Defense, the military planners and our troops focusing on military maneuvers, rather than accounting maneuvers as they carry out their mission in the field.” Congress’ behavior is grossly irresponsible – especially as we are making progress. Serious nations and responsible legislators do not cut off their troops on the battlefield. They do whatever is necessary to win.

Senator Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut recently accused liberal anti-war critics of being “emotionally invested in a narrative of retreat and defeat, even as facts on the ground show that we are advancing and winning.” Sadly, it seems Senator Lieberman is right. Unfortunately, disdain for our troops is not isolated to liberals in Congress.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 01:24:51 PM »
This really pisses me off!!!!!   >:( >:( >:(   Oppose the war all you want, just do the right thing and give these guys what is necessary to do their job.  >:( >:(

Opposing The War And The Troops

Congressional liberals did it again. After going 0-for-40 on legislation to force America’s “retreat and defeat” in Iraq, the House voted 218-to-203 last night to provide only a quarter of the funding for the war in Iraq that President Bush requested. Worse, the bill came with strings demanding hard deadlines for troop withdrawals. This vote came in spite of the fact that progress is being made – progress even the New York Times has acknowledged – and some troops are coming home. The Senate took up the bill this morning, but it failed to get enough votes to overcome a Republican filibuster.

The anti-war liberals in Congress are drawing a line in the sand to appease their radical leftwing base at MoveOn.org. Senate Democrat Leader Harry Reid has essentially told the president, “Take it or leave it.” According to the Associated Press, “Reid and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said this week that if Congress cannot pass legislation that ties war money to troop withdrawals, they would not send Bush a bill this year.” The results could be staggering. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates said that if full funding isn’t provided soon, “he is faced with the undesirable task of preparing to cease operations at Army bases by mid-February, and lay off about 100,000 Defense Department employees and an equal number of civilian contractors.”

A White House spokesman responded to Congress’ failure to fund our troops by saying, “We’d rather see the Department of Defense, the military planners and our troops focusing on military maneuvers, rather than accounting maneuvers as they carry out their mission in the field.” Congress’ behavior is grossly irresponsible – especially as we are making progress. Serious nations and responsible legislators do not cut off their troops on the battlefield. They do whatever is necessary to win.

Senator Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut recently accused liberal anti-war critics of being “emotionally invested in a narrative of retreat and defeat, even as facts on the ground show that we are advancing and winning.” Sadly, it seems Senator Lieberman is right. Unfortunately, disdain for our troops is not isolated to liberals in Congress.
One cannot oppose a war yet support it.  Lord knows the democrats have tried.

Cutting the funds is the best way to draw down troop levels immediately.

Bush should have planned for this contingency when he ordered the attack. 

We are not made of money.  And since no sacrifice other than endless borrowing for the war by Bush et al. on our behalf has been asked of the american people, I think some sort of stop-gap measure should be in place.

Also, I'm certain you were upset like I was that our armed forces had little or no body armor when our leaders decided to attack Iraq on the cheap.