Author Topic: If God ordered you to kill a child..........  (Read 19417 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: If God ordered you to kill a child..........
« Reply #150 on: December 04, 2007, 03:59:09 PM »
That's interesting and sad at the same time.

I think people are just getting smarter and are seeing the Bible for it is: a book of stories.   

::)

That's not very smart of you, OzmO!

So people who believe in the Bible today are retards, right?  People like Arthur Peacocke, Russell Stannard, John Polkinghorne, and Francis Collins? 

I know plenty of atheists who are not that smart or educated.

Without things like the internet, which speeds the exchange of information, the Bible and all it's contradictions was daunting for a person to read critically.  Now you don't have to research every word  because other people's work have been published and are accessible to the verse online. 

It goes both ways.  The Internet also speeds the exchange of information, bible apologetics and explanations to all the alleged contradictions.  To Christians who sincerely believe and live the Christian life, read their Bible and pray, their faith is only strengthened by all the information they now have at their fingertips:  history, archeology, theology, philosophy, apologetics, Bible search engines, etc.

What's unfortunate is that many people identify the existence of God with the Bible.  To them if the Bible is untrue then God must be untrue also.

OzmO,
The majority of the world's population is theist if I'm not mistaken, but only a minority believes in the Bible. 

Christians 33.03% (of which Roman Catholics 17.33%, Protestants 5.8%, Orthodox 3.42%, Anglicans 1.23%), Muslims 20.12%, Hindus 13.34%, Buddhists 5.89%, Sikhs 0.39%, Jews 0.23%, other religions 12.61%, non-religious 12.03%, atheists 2.36% (2004 est.)
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/xx.html#People

You are a theist too since you believe in a personal god.  So that statement about philosophy applies to you as well and has nothing to do with the Bible:
basically, no real good philosophical work has been done in the last century by theists. most of the good philosophy is from atheists.

according to philosophy, god is not plausible, thats correct. why do you think atheism is increasing.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #151 on: December 04, 2007, 04:37:53 PM »
::)

That's not very smart of you, OzmO!

So people who believe in the Bible today are retards, right?  People like Arthur Peacocke, Russell Stannard, John Polkinghorne, and Francis Collins? 

I know plenty of atheists who are not that smart or educated.

I can see where you might have taken that meaning. It was not my intention to infer people who believe in the bible word for word are retarded even though some of the arguments that the bible is the 100% word of god are.

There are plenty of very smart people in the world who lack common sense.  Also, I sure you'll agree that beliefs are rarely objective.

It goes both ways.  The Internet also speeds the exchange of information, bible apologetics and explanations to all the alleged contradictions.  To Christians who sincerely believe and live the Christian life, read their Bible and pray, their faith is only strengthened by all the information they now have at their fingertips:  history, archeology, theology, philosophy, apologetics, Bible search engines, etc.

yes, but if what smoke said is true, it's not working for the side who says the bible is the 100% word of God.

OzmO,
The majority of the world's population is theist if I'm not mistaken, but only a minority believes in the Bible. 

I don;t know about all that loco, but if you look at the discussions on this board by atheists they seem to use the lunacy of the Bible as one of the core examples of why they don't believe in God. 

Again, the premise of the Bible being the 100% "Word of God" is so ambiguous in it's delivery that it has spurred 100's of denominations and requires fantastical explanations to address it's many contradictions.  If the Bible was a car it would be a 3 wheeled Yugo with a tranny that's slipping.  It will get you to heaven eventually, but there are better cars out there.

BTW  i don't know that i am a theist becuase i don't believe in a personal GOD.  God is god and that has nothing to do with what i believe and i certainly don;t believe God is what each of us decides he is.  I just don't identify God with the Bible or any other organized religion becuase they are infected with man's righteousness.  Paul and Company, Luther and all the Popes, pastor's etc.. included.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #152 on: December 04, 2007, 08:59:08 PM »
That's interesting and sad at the same time.

I think people are just getting smarter and are seeing the Bible for it is: a book of stories.   Without things like the internet, which speeds the exchange of information, the Bible and all it's contradictions was daunting for a person to read critically.  Now you don't have to research every word  because other people's work have been published and are accessible to the verse online. 

What's unfortunate is that many people identify the existence of God with the Bible.  To them if the Bible is untrue then God must be untrue also.

this is true, but no real philosophical inquiry can be made past aquinas for instance because of the nature of the beast. you cant make logical arguments and reasoning from something that is merely a hypothesis. atheism has a much stronger philosophical backing, actually let me re phrase that. it has more quality work overall and has continued to put out new material that improves thinking and possibly quality of life, as well as helping people form value systems based on reality. theism is based on untestable tenats and assumptions that are often have no stury logical underpinnings. and then philosophy not even based on religious inquiry has mostly come from atheists.

the best that can argued for god existing is really that it would be impossible to even argue for a beings existence that is that far above us, that is able to create organic matter on a whim. there is nothing we can really say about him, because like i said before, when your dealing with things foreign to experience characteristics you give or dont give are equally wrong. i beleive decker referred to this in another thread.

however, i dont think that means you cant form cogent arguments which may help you form a better opinion, i just wouldnt count on them being right.

all logic goes out the window at certain points in the argument, making it almost asanine for laymen to involve themselves. for example, christians claim that god lives in eternity. this makes no sense. first off how can something exist outside of time. and secondly how can something ACT without time? time creates action.  then you have people with no knowledge asking what happened before the big bang? or where is the edge of universe? if you head in one direction in the universe for long enough you would end up at the place you began from, this is known, or accepted better yet, but it boggles peoples minds. i imagine the true nature of life and the universe is so foreign , more so then these concepts that we couldnt even begin to fathom it. again this is just a geuss ;D.

sorry for the rant. just wanted to make a couple points.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2007, 09:10:48 PM »
apologies for the spelling and grammar i wrote that shit on the fly. reading it is even hard for me :D

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2007, 02:36:14 AM »
this is true, but no real philosophical inquiry can be made past aquinas for instance because of the nature of the beast. you cant make logical arguments and reasoning from something that is merely a hypothesis. atheism has a much stronger philosophical backing, actually let me re phrase that. it has more quality work overall and has continued to put out new material that improves thinking and possibly quality of life, as well as helping people form value systems based on reality. theism is based on untestable tenats and assumptions that are often have no stury logical underpinnings. and then philosophy not even based on religious inquiry has mostly come from atheists.

the best that can argued for god existing is really that it would be impossible to even argue for a beings existence that is that far above us, that is able to create organic matter on a whim. there is nothing we can really say about him, because like i said before, when your dealing with things foreign to experience characteristics you give or dont give are equally wrong. i beleive decker referred to this in another thread.

however, i dont think that means you cant form cogent arguments which may help you form a better opinion, i just wouldnt count on them being right.

all logic goes out the window at certain points in the argument, making it almost asanine for laymen to involve themselves. for example, christians claim that god lives in eternity. this makes no sense. first off how can something exist outside of time. and secondly how can something ACT without time? time creates action.  then you have people with no knowledge asking what happened before the big bang? or where is the edge of universe? if you head in one direction in the universe for long enough you would end up at the place you began from, this is known, or accepted better yet, but it boggles peoples minds. i imagine the true nature of life and the universe is so foreign , more so then these concepts that we couldnt even begin to fathom it. again this is just a geuss ;D.

sorry for the rant. just wanted to make a couple points.

You are wrong.

The true god is living inside us all:

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: December 05, 2007, 11:16:07 AM »
You are wrong.

The true god is living inside us all:

debussey was a god, yes.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #156 on: December 05, 2007, 04:23:10 PM »
debussey was a god, yes.

yes, it was  :'(

the spirit of the gary busey/alien hybrid will return