Author Topic: Do you train heavy or light?  (Read 2788 times)

Quagmire

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
Do you train heavy or light?
« on: November 18, 2007, 04:33:52 PM »
As the title says, do you train heavy or light?

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
Re: Do you train heavy or light?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 04:39:56 PM »
In my Brasilian Jiu-Jitsu school we do hundreds of situps, hundreds of pushups, followed by a long session with the balls. Then we run back and forth for 20 minutes. It's all about functional strength. Because you know...when you get a bodybuilder on the mat, they're usually the first to tap. All that size is a hindrance.
TEAM REPTILIAN

Quagmire

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 04:46:52 PM »
Most bodybuilders COULD be more flexible but they don't do proper stretching or anything at all so they get stiff.

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 04:50:25 PM »

Heavy, but it didn't get me very far in certain areas (most) so I will be changing things up.  In the back of my head I want to be strong, but I know I would make better gains if I trained more like a bodybuilder and less like a powerlifter.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 04:57:08 PM »
Heavy, but it didn't get me very far in certain areas (most) so I will be changing things up.  In the back of my head I want to be strong, but I know I would make better gains if I trained more like a bodybuilder and less like a powerlifter.

going to enter mr.getbig 3 matt?
Here comes the money shot

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 04:57:18 PM »

yes yes!
thats what i say to younger bodybuilders,,leave your ego outside gym ,,it doesnt matter what the 3 fat 260lb guys on the corner think about your poundage,,the girls dont even care because they are insecure themselves,,so make sure you lift right!!! this is key for anything
im not saying that lifting heavy is not good because it is and i believe in it but first and formost is to lift the weight right! forget about spotter and bullcrap do it yourself and do it right this is kjey!

if you notice carefully,,the ones who lift the heaviest in gym are the ones who alwyas look the same and always are big guys but the no one can tell they are bodybuilder

i believe in combo of powerliftin in specific days and bodybuilding in the other days ,,but if trying to bring body part up STRICT LIFTING IS  A MUST ,,FREE WEIGHTS MACHINES SMITH ALL THAT IS GOOD AND LESS IMPORTANT ,,WHATS IMPORTANT IS TO LIFT THE WEIGHT RIGHT! only then you will get the size incease from within the muscle that you want
fallen angel

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 05:04:37 PM »
both

bench

Sexual Mustard

• Getbig III
  • DC Comics Pro and TEAM MUSCLECENTER
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 05:16:47 PM »

I train generally heavy, but I'm with Matt C on all of his points.

SM

Stavios

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 05:29:02 PM »
don't train very heavy exept for back

I feel my back grows better if I don't give a fuck about the form and tempo

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 05:33:32 PM »
Heavy.  Always.

Jason

SquatsRule

• Getbig IV
  • I am "teh sexy"
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 05:43:23 PM »
I pyramid up in weight and use whatever weight allows me to get 6-12 reps with good form. first 2 sets in the higher rep range. Last 2 sets in the lower rep range.
S

g101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 06:10:09 PM »
with matt with this gonna go back to my old routine

Quagmire

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 07:04:42 PM »
I was just wondering. Lee Haney trained pretty high volume and not super heavy and most other guys from the 80's did the same.