Author Topic: How Arnold won the Olympia in 1970!  (Read 2799 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
How Arnold won the Olympia in 1970!
« on: November 26, 2007, 11:14:58 AM »
"At the 1970 Mr Olympia, the judges called Sergio Oliva and me together at the end of the evening. It was clear that the scores were close, and I was wondering, What can I do to convince the judges it's not close, and that I'm ahead of him?
I wasn't that convinced myself, but I had to psych myself up because he looked awesome. They called for us to free pose [posedown] together.
This was my last chance.

"We posed and posed. He'd hit a back shot, I'd hit a front lat spread. He'd come back with a thigh shot, I'd hit an arm shot. He'd throw in a side chest - all this stuff was flying around like crazy. Finally, Sergio leans over to me and says, 'I'm wiped out. Let's walk off' I said, 'You're right, this is too much' He waved [goodbye] to the crowd.

I made one step to the right [as if to leave the stage] and Sergio walked offstage to the left. I stayed onstage and gestured in his direction [as if to ask] 'Why is he leaving? Why is he surrendering? I hit some more shots and the crowd was chanting, 'Arnold! Arnold! Arnold! Then I bowed and walked offstage.

I became aware at that point in my career how quick improvisational tactics are crucial to winning a contest when it's close"

Z

The_Leafy_Bug

Re: How Arnold won the Olympia in 1970!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 11:16:22 AM »
"At the 1970 Mr Olympia, the judges called Sergio Oliva and me together at the end of the evening. It was clear that the scores were close, and I was wondering, What can I do to convince the judges it's not close, and that I'm ahead of him?
I wasn't that convinced myself, but I had to psych myself up because he looked awesome. They called for us to free pose [posedown] together.
This was my last chance.

"We posed and posed. He'd hit a back shot, I'd hit a front lat spread. He'd come back with a thigh shot, I'd hit an arm shot. He'd throw in a side chest - all this stuff was flying around like crazy. Finally, Sergio leans over to me and says, 'I'm wiped out. Let's walk off' I said, 'You're right, this is too much' He waved [goodbye] to the crowd.

I made one step to the right [as if to leave the stage] and Sergio walked offstage to the left. I stayed onstage and gestured in his direction [as if to ask] 'Why is he leaving? Why is he surrendering? I hit some more shots and the crowd was chanting, 'Arnold! Arnold! Arnold! Then I bowed and walked offstage.

I became aware at that point in my career how quick improvisational tactics are crucial to winning a contest when it's close"

You still have not addressed the issue. According to your logic you are gay. Do you agree?

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 11:25:36 AM »
Arnold may not be an intellectual, but his personality, will to win and even wit can't be touched.

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 01:40:52 PM »
did nobody ever notice that Arnold was always leaner than Sergio also??? When people talk about these 2 competing, its always about Sergio beaing bigger or whatever, but when Arnold was bigger than anybody else at first, he lost a couple of contests.He beat Sergio simply on the whole package of size and conditioning

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 01:42:36 PM »
Arnold = White
Sergio = Black

hope this helps
The Number 2 in Scranton

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 02:10:09 PM »
yeh and the fact that ronnie coleman and Lee Haney have the most olympias ever and theyre both black

what does colour mean???

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 02:14:29 PM »
yeh and the fact that ronnie coleman and Lee Haney have the most olympias ever and theyre both black

what does colour mean???

They like to alternate Mr. Olympia winners between white and black.

Huge Nasser is Arab so he fit in neither category and as a result they withheld his Mr. O titles.

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 02:33:23 PM »
yeh its all about race and not physiques........ ::)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 03:02:33 PM »
did nobody ever notice that Arnold was always leaner than Sergio also??? When people talk about these 2 competing, its always about Sergio beaing bigger or whatever, but when Arnold was bigger than anybody else at first, he lost a couple of contests.He beat Sergio simply on the whole package of size and conditioning

Arnold = White
Sergio = Black

100% true on both counts. All the BS about psyching out opponents in contests that Weider controlled and decided is crap, revisionist rhetoric used to manipulate those who want to believe it. ;)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 03:03:32 PM »

what does colour mean???

It means it's a significant factor when it's close, unlike your examples.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 03:04:52 PM »
yeh its all about race and not physiques........ ::)

Ya it's all about physiques, nothing to do with Weider's agendas through the years or the fact he controlled the outcome. ::)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 03:10:05 PM »
Oh uh, pumpster just had a three post in a row race-card meltdown!

Touchy subject!

I guess the power is back on in Pumpsters penthouse New York city apartment as he's now posting again  ;D
Z

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 03:12:52 PM »

Touchy subject!

I guess the power is back on in Pumpsters penthouse New York city apartment as he's now posting again  ;D
You still have not addressed the issue. According to your logic you are gay. Do you agree?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 03:15:45 PM »

Touchy subject!

There goes Pumpsters credibility when he say's hes not black, or racist. haha.

LOL ok buddy lash out with more speculation about me, about her hahahaha talk about a narrow demographic amongst many on getbig. I'm gay because i don't agree with the angry white guy segment here. ;D

I'm talking specifically about this situation and have no sympathy for this guy and his "hard earned money" LOL he might be quite the load to deal with on a daily basis let alone 20+ years.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 03:20:45 PM »

haha pumpster is funny

i still laugh when i see that pic of that tv and remember how he posted it on another board describing it as a "big screen tv"

;D
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 04:00:11 PM »

Since i'm neither you're the joke LOL

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 04:07:06 PM »
Since i'm neither you're the joke LOL
Wrong.
You could be white as the day is long, but since you said those words, no one on getbig will ever believe you, and you'll get the race card thrown at you forever.
My advice:
Post your pic and prove us wrong  ;D

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 05:31:38 PM »
Wrong.
You could be white as the day is long, but since you said those words, no one on getbig will ever believe you, and you'll get the race card thrown at you forever.
My advice:
Post your pic and prove us wrong  ;D

Based on you following me around on here, I think you're in love with me. :-* :-* :-*

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2007, 05:32:57 PM »
Based on you following me around on here, I think you're in love with me. :-* :-* :-*
Strange I know. Que fatal attraction pic.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2007, 05:38:04 PM »
Nice shot; anyone who knows equipment knows that's some serious shit. The Cybex on the right goes for $1,100, the speakers for about the same as does the TV which looks like 32". ;)

That's over 3K of gear in one shot. :o

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2007, 05:46:07 PM »
Nic shot; anyone who knows equipment knows that's some serious shit. The Cybex on the right goes for $1,100, the speakers for about the same as does the TV which looks like 32". ;)

That's over 3K of gear in one shot. :o

i hope youre being sarcastic so i wont comment
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2007, 05:47:06 PM »
i hope youre being sarcastic so i wont comment

No do; what are you feelings on that particular high end Cybex, world-class studio monitors and flat screen, at 3K plus besides envy? LOL

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2007, 05:51:22 PM »
No do; what are you feelings on that particular high end Cybex, world-class studio monitors and flat screen, at 3K plus besides envy? LOL

eh are you serious? 3k wont even give you a decent plasma

what are you 100 years old? you seem so out of touch with the real world
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2007, 05:53:13 PM »
eh are you serious? 3k wont even give you a decent plasma

what are you 100 years old? you seem so out of touch with the real world

Since you're so hip why don't you tell me what specific equipment is there genius (model, etc.) i'll give you 5 minutes after which time it's official that you're clueless and have been going nowhere fast with those pics.

Plasmas are not essential right now; they love idiots like you who walk into stores believing that.

This is the same doofus who disparages Venice Beach.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2007, 05:57:45 PM »
Since you're so hip why don't you tell me what specific equipment is there genius (model, etc.) hahahahaahahahahahahahah a i'll give you 5 minutes after which time it's official that you're clueless and have been going nowhere fast with those pics.

i see some cheap small ass speakers, you're so poor so you use the original boxes for speaker stands (that must do wonders for the sound) and on top of this "big screen tv" (oh brother) you put a fan (!)

whatya mean plasmas are not essential? in this day and age its either that or a lcd screen, not that old junk you got

im starting to think you're retarded, which would explain a thing or two
Z