Author Topic: Val Waugaman, Beth Horn and other competitors: New American Gladiators  (Read 23329 times)

cray2005

• Getbig II
  • FitGems Founder
Re: Val Waugaman, Beth Horn and other competitors: New American Gladiators
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2007, 07:39:29 PM »
Take a look at these pics...

Siren:

Stealth:

Fury:

Venon:

Hellga (not Helga as previously mentioned):

Crush:

These particular pics were posted on the Gladiators forum (http://forum.gladiatorszone.com/YaBB.pl?board=newamerican), and there are much more info on the show (including more pics, videos, bios-which has their real names mentioned at last!) at this website:

http://www.nbc.com/American_Gladiators/

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2007, 09:35:56 PM »
Venon looks a little like Beth Horn.
As empty as paradise

Malibu Barbie

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 06:13:21 AM »
I think Malibu Barbie has the best attitude for being a gladiator around here.

I do not envision her taking too many prisoners,  and g*d  help  Val if she turns her back on her  :)

Actually all kidding aside  Tracey  Greenwood would make a great gladiator as would many of the other women who post
on this board. 

Best of luck to  Val,  Beth,  Jamie and Tanji

Jason
     Several months ago I was approached by the exec's at NBC but as I told them, "Barbie is a lover not a fighter". Well, truthfully it probably is more accurate to say I am more bitchy that brute. I am not into physically throwing down anyone unless it is in the bedroom. Currently I am being cast for a role on ABC's Boston Legal as Denny Crane's lover/nurse. The role has more lines and more costumes and, well, come on Denny vs Hock Hogan. Not ever a toss up.
     Jason you got me all wrong on the Val thing too. I could not be happier for her and the other IFBB's involved in this show. Val has always reminded me of a character in a children's book by Dr. Zeiss called "Put Me In the Zoo". The character in this book goes to great lengths to show everyone who will look how fantastic, stupendous and creative she is in hopes that she will get her rightfull place in the zoo. This is all to no avail. Another character views her colorfull special antics and guides the character to realize, "The circus is the place for you." Val's character does not fit in the restrictive IFBB zoo world as well as she will shine in the circus world of LA, LA land. This show could not be a more perfect fit for her. I expect to see her sipping wheat grass lattes while she studies the Kaaba and avoids the pa paraties from TMZ with the best of the Hollywood crew. Can't wait to see what her and her publicist drum up for fun. I will definitely tune in tonight and cheer for her and the rest of our IFBB superstars.

Articulate Bodies

• Pros
  • Getbig II
  • www.articulatebodies.com Chaundra Tangi, IFBB Pro
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008, 07:50:25 PM »
Just FYI:
FURY is also a top NPC National Competitor, Jamie Reed!
She is an amazing girl and makes a GREAT Gladiator!

Congratulations to all the gals!

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2008, 09:28:05 PM »
I just finished watching the show and while the women look great the show was pretty bad. Jamie definitely had most of the limelight in the events from tonight's shows. I'll be curious to see how they edit future shows. I wish the best for all the women from our industry but after watching it, I don't see it lasting very long. Hopefully for eac of them they can use this as a platform into other things before the show is canceled.

Jamie did kick some ass and Tanji took out a competitor in the first event.
Elevate Your Image.™

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2008, 04:22:37 AM »
i had to work so i missed it last night. i think theres another episode on tonight

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2008, 04:32:40 AM »
I just finished watching the show and while the women look great the show was pretty bad. Jamie definitely had most of the limelight in the events from tonight's shows. I'll be curious to see how they edit future shows. I wish the best for all the women from our industry but after watching it, I don't see it lasting very long. Hopefully for eac of them they can use this as a platform into other things before the show is canceled.

Jamie did kick some ass and Tanji took out a competitor in the first event.

I clicked to it a few times. It it me or were they doing the same lame ass events they used almost 20 years ago? What an awful show.
E

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2008, 06:16:10 AM »
I tried to watch most of it.  IMO they need to show the female gladiators more and w/o headgear when they can. The women are so beautiful, if men could see them better, it seems they'd be more likely to watch the show. 
R

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
ok so i watched it tonight.

IMO the events are good and worth watching. and as a man the women are much more intersting and as Stella said they should be more focused on.

the interviews on the other hand are brutal. hogan and his bandana need to forget about his wrestling days. so much of the interviews seem phony and scripted.

i like hellga  :)

siouxcountry

• Getbig IV
  • Team Ripitupbaby!
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2008, 09:33:35 PM »
Meet the Female American Gladiators...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjTxyPDOkYQ

You can now watch Sunday's show on the web...

http://www.nbc.com/American_Gladiators/video/episodes.shtml

SafiyaJ

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2008, 10:49:49 PM »
It is an honor to be on that show and an opportunity of a lifetime. If it wasnt, hundreds of people wouldnt have stood in line to be one. I found the show to be highly entertaining and comical. My only complaint is the cheesy probably pre-rehearsed interviews. This was a show that everyone loved 15 years ago and even now still remembers the original gladiators...(yes even I remember)!! And Yes, most of the events are still the same (with the excepting of falling into water and being blown away)...but the excitement is there, so who cares. Let the ratings speak for itself...

These women are athletes and their bodies take a beating everytime they step on that set. I  congratulate these women who help represent our sport and federation. This is one of the few shows on on mainstream tv that showcases women of muscle. This moment is a milestone and is bigger than just the show itself. People will watch this show, see beautiful muscular, curvy women being athletes and will want to emulate that as opposed to what u normally see on tv. Just somethin to think about...

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2008, 11:02:27 PM »

hellga sounds like, well.. hell (like a man)
are you delusional?

Fit Gourmet

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2008, 12:44:32 AM »
It is an honor to be on that show and an opportunity of a lifetime. If it wasnt, hundreds of people wouldnt have stood in line to be one. I found the show to be highly entertaining and comical. My only complaint is the cheesy probably pre-rehearsed interviews. This was a show that everyone loved 15 years ago and even now still remembers the original gladiators...(yes even I remember)!! And Yes, most of the events are still the same (with the excepting of falling into water and being blown away)...but the excitement is there, so who cares. Let the ratings speak for itself...

These women are athletes and their bodies take a beating everytime they step on that set. I  congratulate these women who help represent our sport and federation. This is one of the few shows on on mainstream tv that showcases women of muscle. This moment is a milestone and is bigger than just the show itself. People will watch this show, see beautiful muscular, curvy women being athletes and will want to emulate that as opposed to what u normally see on tv. Just somethin to think about...
You Tell Them!!! I agree.

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2008, 06:56:22 AM »

I agree that is a big opportunity and why hundreds tried out. Which is more reason why the idiot producers should have taken the time to show this. Just like American Idol where tons try out to become a Gladiator but few make it. If your sister wasn't competing or the industry hadn't followed it would you know what all went into becoming a gladiator? My guess is the general public has no clue. They just see fit women on TV. Had the producers spent some time on character development the viewing audience would know about their background and why they won out over hundreds of others.

It has nothing to do with the females, hell they are the best part. The guys act like tools, you got a character that howls more than I blink and two hosts with no chemistry to a show with no flow. Sadly this show is not as strong as the women in it. The ratings will speak louder than a howling "Wolf"
Elevate Your Image.™

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2008, 09:12:14 AM »
even if the show fails, it's good for these athletes and good for the overall growth of the sport. 

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2008, 09:18:11 AM »
even if the show fails, it's good for these athletes and good for the overall growth of the sport. 

Are the female Gladiators pro figure athletes? I was wondering why there was so much interest for the show here.
E

FigureRX

• Getbig II
  • FigureRX.com - Everything Figure and Fitness
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2008, 09:19:48 AM »
Beth Horn and Tanji Johnson are IFBB fitness professionals and Valerie Waugaman is an IFBB figure professional.
Jamie is a top national level NPC figure competitor, likely on her way to pro status.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2008, 09:21:20 AM »
Who is Crush? She is hot. Helga, not so much.
E

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2008, 10:25:36 AM »
Beth Horn and Tanji Johnson are IFBB fitness professionals and Valerie Waugaman is an IFBB figure professional.
Jamie is a top national level NPC figure competitor, likely on her way to pro status.
Any reason why Beth competed in another organization before her AG stint?

Crush - is an MMA fighter - checkout maxim.com for photos of her.
Elevate Your Image.™

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2008, 11:16:20 AM »
All the women are gorgeous imo.  Maybe the show could do a segment on them working out...what they go through to get in that shape.  Maybe have them talk about their dietary nutrition.  I'm a heterosexual married woman, but I am much more interested in seeing the women and I agree w/blinky, the focus should be on them.

I never watched the initial season of Gladiators and wouldn't watch this one if it weren't for the fitness/figure competitors.

If the show doesn't work out someone could pitch to the producers an idea of a reality show of top fitness and/or figure gals prepping for the Arnold or the O where they will be competing against each other.  They could all live in a house together w/a big kitchen and gym.  That would be very interesting! :)
R

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2008, 12:00:38 PM »
They could all live in a house together w/a big kitchen and gym.  That would be very interesting! :)

We've been talking about this idea for several years now, but the problem is two-fold:

1) lack of financing
2) lack of a payoff (I mean, would seeing them 'compete in a show' be the climax for viewers?)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2008, 12:05:06 PM »

(Note: this is what I wrote after the Sunday night broadcast)

-------------------

Ok, I loved the show, because I loved the women, but for a non-fan, that was probably a tough watch (as evidenced by the early feedback coming in).

Let me talk about what I didn't like, in no particular order:

1) Seriously over-edited...much like the excessive cutaways that ruined 'The Contender'.  Fans want to see the action in real time.  Give us the fancy alternative-angle slow-mos during the replay, NOT during the action itself. 

2) WAY too much focus on the contenders.  Like most who have commented, I don't really care about their life stories.  Give us a little blip - who they are, where they're from, and then zip it. 

3) Not nearly enough copy from the Gladiators.  We need a lot more soundbytes from them before and after the events. 

4) HORRIBLE voiceovers.  That guy was beyond boring.  He needs to be live on the set when the events are filmed, not describing what he's watching in some editing suite a week after it was taped.  That was very, very bad. 

5) The people writing the copy for Hulk and Laila need to be replaced.  In fact, there should be a LOT less script for them, period.  By scripting so much of their segments, it ends up sounding way too rehearsed.  I understand having to re-shoot a scene when Hulk calls out the wrong score, but in reality, there should be someone else 'back at the booth' that's responsible for the accounting anyway. 

A possible improvement might be to have Laila talk to only the contenders and to have Hulk communicating with only the Gladiators before and after each contest. 

6) They need to pump in more crowd noise for the broadcast.  I didn't like hearing all that silence.  It needs to feel 'electric' from start to finish. 

7) Event-wise:

Earthquake - WAY too dangerous.  Who the hell wrestles on plexiglass??  As hot as it was to watch Fury womanhandle little Venus and give Koya the slip, I was thankful that all the of the women were able to escape injury there. 

Assault - It sucked then. It sucks now. BORING. Get rid of it, because everyone hates it. 

Gauntlet - I like this event, but I'm trying to figure out how 200+ lb Hellga gets bullrushed by a 125-lb woman.  They'll need to shorten the clock a little bit, though - it has to be tougher to get the full 10 pts.

Hang Tough - They need a larger ring grid...too easy for the contenders to score. 

---

They've got a ton of footage to work with, so if we're lucky, they've shortened the contender segments overnight and given us more of the Gladiators. :)

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2008, 12:06:50 PM »
We've been talking about this idea for several years now, but the problem is two-fold:

1) lack of financing
2) lack of a payoff (I mean, would seeing them 'compete in a show' be the climax for viewers?)

This idea was what started Hardbody Entertainment's "Road to the Pros". (no affiliation with hardbody.com)

There would be some serious drama with a house full of dieting women.  ;D
Elevate Your Image.™

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2008, 12:19:31 PM »
This idea was what started Hardbody Entertainment's "Road to the Pros".

Wasn't that supposed to be a TV show? 

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2008, 12:29:59 PM »
Wasn't that supposed to be a TV show? 

yep
Elevate Your Image.™