Author Topic: Val Waugaman, Beth Horn and other competitors: New American Gladiators  (Read 23341 times)

fitfan007

• Getbig II
Re: Val Waugaman, Beth Horn and other competitors: New American Gladiators
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2008, 09:08:17 PM »
Yeah I wish they would definately showcase the gladiators more than they do.  The gladiators are suppose to be the exciting part of this whole show....who cares who these contestants are....they are not the focus of the show. 

SafiyaJ

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2008, 12:44:35 PM »
opps...im still trying to figure out how to use this thing...

I agree that is a big opportunity and why hundreds tried out. Which is more reason why the idiot producers should have taken the time to show this. Just like American Idol where tons try out to become a Gladiator but few make it. If your sister wasn't competing or the industry hadn't followed it would you know what all went into becoming a gladiator? My guess is the general public has no clue. They just see fit women on TV. Had the producers spent some time on character development the viewing audience would know about their background and why they won out over hundreds of others.

I agree that alittle more bio on each gladiator (where they came from, their background..etc) would have been very insightful to the general public. But lets face it...at least NBC is taking baby steps. Although small its still in the right direction. Afterall, they could have cast a bunch of cookie cutter women who are "atheletic" to appease what we normally see on tv! Its the first season and changes can be made. Hopefully NBC producers will see this and take everyone's critique of the 1st season into consideration.

Rick Lohre

• Getbig II
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2008, 03:57:19 PM »
Any reason why Beth competed in another organization before her AG stint?

I was surprised by this as well, one of Julie's clients actually competed against her and told Julie and I.  I said, no that can't be right, she's an IFBB pro, darned if I wasn't wrong. She sent me pics of her on stage with Beth, I hardly recognized her.  I think it was NGA...?

Lemme look for the link she sent me.....

Rick Lohre

• Getbig II
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2008, 03:59:31 PM »
I was surprised by this as well, one of Julie's clients actually competed against her and told Julie and I.  I said, no that can't be right, she's an IFBB pro, darned if I wasn't wrong. She sent me pics of her on stage with Beth, I hardly recognized her.  I think it was NGA...?

Lemme look for the link she sent me.....

Here 'tis

Photo Credit - Paras Griffin

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2008, 07:11:49 PM »
i just realized who Hellga is. its Robin Coleman. shes competed in bb'ing before and also strongwoman

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2008, 08:42:07 PM »
i just realized who Hellga is. its Robin Coleman. shes competed in bb'ing before and also strongwoman
Last year called. It wants it's news back.

;D
Elevate Your Image.™

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2008, 08:55:32 PM »
Last year called. It wants it's news back.

;D

never saw it posted anywhere about her

and 10 years ago called...... it wants its cheesy line back    ;D

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2008, 05:52:05 AM »
Appears good news on the horizon for American Gladiators:

Earlier this week Ben Silverman, a co-chairman of NBC Universal Entertainment, said he intended to order another round of “Gladiator” episodes.

“We’re going to figure out the smartest way to market, schedule and promote them,” he told TV Week. He indicated that a second season would start up sometime in the summer.
Elevate Your Image.™

cray2005

• Getbig II
  • FitGems Founder
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2008, 06:26:39 AM »
I could say a lot right now, but I'll sum it up with one thing:

;D

Thanks for passing along the news, Issac.  ;)

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2008, 09:53:57 AM »
I could say a lot right now, but I'll sum it up with one thing:

;D
Thanks for passing along the news, Issac.  ;)
Go ahead an say it cray dawg. What's on your mind ?  8)

It is great for the gladiators.

The fact of such a terribly produced/edited show is being renewed speaks to the level of crap on TV during the writer's strike.

Hopefully they bring in a new editing crew to make it lower on the cheese factor.

Elevate Your Image.™

cray2005

• Getbig II
  • FitGems Founder
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2008, 10:39:11 AM »
Well, according the the article I read on TV Week, there will some format tweaking for the next season, which is good news to me, as well as everyone else. More on the changes here:

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/james-hibberd/2008/01/silverman_gungho_on_gladiators.php

Plus, now many people who've never heard of Valerie, Beth, Tanji, and Jamie before this show are now in LOVE with them.  Plus who know what other networks will give other IFBB and NPC fitness/figure competitors a chance to show who they are to the world? Who else in the female muscle community will see this as an opportunity to make themselves possible household names? I know a few who would fit the bill (of all the posts I've done, you can probably get a good idea of whom I'm talking about. ;) I mean, NBC took a chance and apparently succeeded.

BTW, if I was in charge of the production, here's what I would do: Before the second season debuts, I'd have an hour-long show, discussing WHY the current gladiators were chosen the way they were chosen, learn a little about them (I mean the show is called American GLADIATORS, right? Not American CONTENDERS!), as well as a smallrecap of the entire first season. Add in some bloopers for comedic relief (I know they had to have some funny moments that didn't make it on tv). Then close the show with the glads who will return (i doubt all 12 will be back for season two, although I've been wrong before), the two winners that are supposed to be new Gladiators (at least that's what part of the grand prize is supposed to be), and (if any are chosen during tryouts) the "rookie" Gladiators.

Oh, and I'd fire the editing team as well. I'd come up with more, but I think you get the main points I'm trying to make. I'm proud of the ladies that have made it and hope there will be more to follow. I wish them a great success in Gladiators and beyond. I hope they get roles in TV and movies like other former Gladiators.

Man, I said a lot. Hope I covered everything! LOL.  ;D

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2008, 10:46:22 AM »
We've been talking about this idea for several years now, but the problem is two-fold:

1) lack of financing
2) lack of a payoff (I mean, would seeing them 'compete in a show' be the climax for viewers?)
1) get Arnold or the Weiders to finance it depending on if the show was the International or the O, respectively.  (make it happen Tre  >:( )
2) yes, the show would be the climax! :)
R