Author Topic: PLEDGE OF ALLEGAINCE  (Read 2070 times)

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
PLEDGE OF ALLEGAINCE
« on: November 26, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
do you people believe that God should be included when reciting the Pledge, and any other Christian references in regards to our country?

as a nonbeliever i think it is vital that Christianity stay in our culture. it is a part of what helped mold this country. i am opposed to taking the Pledge of Allegiance out of schools or altering it to exclude God. Schools should be still reciting the Pledge in the morning, its a shame they are not.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Re: PLEDGE OF ALLEGAINCE
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 06:24:45 PM »
do you people believe that God should be included when reciting the Pledge, and any other Christian references in regards to our country?

as a nonbeliever i think it is vital that Christianity stay in our culture. it is a part of what helped mold this country. i am opposed to taking the Pledge of Allegiance out of schools or altering it to exclude God. Schools should be still reciting the Pledge in the morning, its a shame they are not.

I don't care. I don't live there anymore.
I hate the State.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 06:28:51 PM »
I'm also in favor of leaving it as it is.  If a particular kid has a problem w/it, he doesn't need to speak it out loud I guess.  I'm involved in a ministry where we sometimes recite something about being a part of the holy 'catholic' church ---- and even though it's small c (as it's not referring to Roman Catholicism but actually the body of Christ) it still makes me uncomfortable so I don't say it.  I'm not going to tell anyone else not to say it though...that's their decision
R

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 06:31:18 PM »
i don't any problem with it.

It's a waste of time and money to try and change it.

there are more important things like feeding the hungry.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 10:06:15 AM »
its just another silly little thing douchebag libs and right wing loonies can argue about...it's about as inconsequential a subject that you can debate...
footloose and fancy free

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 10:16:18 AM »
Drop it.  It was added during the 50's, probably as part of the fear over "godless" communists during the cold war.  Should never have been added.

http://history.vineyard.net/pledge.htm
http://www.undergodprocon.org/top10.htm

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 10:49:31 AM »
I say "One nation under the Flying Spaghetti Monster" or "One Nation under Zeus" instead. Irritates the self-righteous :)