Author Topic: Human-animal hybrid embryos should be legal says Catholic Church  (Read 1010 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
The Roman Catholic Church has called for women to be allowed to give birth to human-animal hybrids created in the laboratory.

Embryos injected with animal cells, or chimeras, should be treated as human beings where they have a preponderance of human genes, the bishops say in a sumbission to a Government committee.

And there should be no ban on implanting such hybrid embryos in the womb of the woman who supplied the original egg, they say in their submission on the Draft Tissue and Embryos Bill.

cont... http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article1993579.ece

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Human-animal hybrid embryos should be legal says Catholic Church
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 06:53:23 AM »
Is this really true?

Here are some comments re: the article

The headline is misleading. The RCC still opposes *creating* these embryos - very strongly. But it has announced that if these embryos are created dispite its objections, then its anti-abortion views are still in effect, and the embryo should be carried to term rather than be discarded as medical waste.

Its still a rediculous policy - those experimental embryos will probably have all sorts of strange new diseases - but at least its consistant with their past positions. Its also going to be completly ignored, because creating a genetically-modified baby is a legal minefield that no research organisation is going to go anywhere near. Perhaps that is their intention.

Hmm... 99.9% human and 0.1% animal? What happens if you reverse the procedure, I
wonder? It would be interesting to see what the church does when presented with a rat containing a slight trace of human cells.

Suricou Raven, London, London

The catholic viewpoint is that these embryos are in effect human beings. The animal input is actually minimal, and if I understand the science correctly the animal input to the genes is almost none. However, the best way of dealing with this would be to make it illegal to create such animals.

Maurice, Cardiff, Wales

Just because you have a few animal genes does not mean you are not human. The Church is trying to protect human beings who are produced in this way.

Obviously, the Church does not favor producing human-animal hybrids; but once produced, they cannot be treated like medical waste or as objects of experimentation.

EJF, Philadelphila, USA

new proof that the catholic church is absolutely barmy! no abortion because the embryo has rights but sure, stick it full of animal genes and then thats fine. even aside from that the weirdness of carrying a human/animal mix to term! I shake my head in puzzlement....

Clio, dublin, ireland

:(

R

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 08:26:17 AM »
lol, I was going to say something about Moreau ;D  This is just weird, I don't know...

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 03:20:09 AM »
Don't we share 95% of the genes of chimpanzees? Does this mean that chimpanzees will no longer be able to access abortion services?  ;D