Author Topic: The world is going to hell in a handbasket...  (Read 1104 times)

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
The world is going to hell in a handbasket...
« on: November 27, 2007, 07:01:31 AM »
-- A melee at a Kmart store in Wauwatosa Saturday morning was started by a computer glitch.

The store was running a promotion in which it would give away $10 to anyone applying for its credit card, but the computer glitch led to everyone's application being granted -- bestowing up to $4,000 in instant credit to anyone who applied even if they shouldn't have qualified.

Once word started to spread about the so-called "free money" Saturday, witnesses said things got pretty nuts inside the Wauwatosa store.

"They were having a big fight. Two ladies was jumping a lady over credit cards," witness Sylvester Wilson said.

Nearly a dozen Wauwatosa squad cars responded to the call just before 11 a.m. Saturday for what was called a large fight in progress.

"It was a nice brawl. It came from inside to outside. If you go up there, you'll see hair, earrings, all pulled out on the ground," Wilson said.

What started as a fight between two women in the crowded store evolved when several men intervened.

A store employee got punched in the nose and crashed through a glass display case. He was treated for a broken nose and various cuts.

Two suspects, a 22-year-old man and a 16-year-old boy, were arrested, accused of battery.

Meantime, Kmart is still trying to clear up the credit card mess.

Two employees confirmed for police that anyone who applied was being given instant credit -- from $850 up to $4,000. They also told police that people started calling other people to the store for so-called free money. The store ran out of credit applications.

One witness told police someone went to another Kmart, got some applications there and was selling them in the Wauwatosa Kmart parking lot for $20 apiece.

Kmart would not comment on how many people got the credit cards who shouldn't have or how much merchandise they were able to buy with them.

The store did put a stop to it, though. There are signs on the door saying it is not processing credit card applications at this time.

Citibank, which issues the Kmart cards, did not return WISN 12 News' calls asking if this happened nationwide. WISN 12 News reporter Nick Bohr spoke with a Sears corporate relations person Monday who told Bohr he could not really talk about the specific incident but said the credit problem was isolated. It was not a national problem, the spokesman said. Sears owns Kmart.

The suspects remain in custody awaiting charges, which could be issued Tuesday.

Previous Story:
footloose and fancy free

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: The world is going to hell in a handbasket...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 07:46:03 AM »
I told my girl friend that we're (Americans) an extended power outage away from anarchy. She laughed....but ist true. Normal people loose their minds. I carry a gun.
L

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 07:53:42 AM »
I told my girl friend that we're (Americans) an extended power outage away from anarchy. She laughed....but ist true. Normal people loose their minds. I carry a gun.
This story is funny, but your comment is scary... What would you have done?  Pulled out your pistola and shot in the air :D

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 08:00:37 AM »
Never.....i feel if one of us ever screws up like that then its over for the rest of us. Besides what in a store is worth dying for. Now is somebody said  i could get Tom Brady's autograph, look out..or BB's hoody hell yeah, I'd be blazing away.  ;D Hell i'd shoot u in the foot if Brady would flash his pearly whites at me... :D
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 08:17:12 AM »
yeah, you take away power for 2 weeks and people would be savages again.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 08:41:52 AM »
I only carry now when i go 4 wheeling. I use the Mark Twain national forest area in MO, and occasionally u run into an old trailer or shack used to make Meth.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 08:46:46 AM »
I only carry now when i go 4 wheeling. I use the Mark Twain national forest area in MO, and occasionally u run into an old trailer or shack used to make Meth.

say Hi next time you're in the area!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 10:15:08 AM »

This is true.  Just look at Katrina and New Orleans.  Even the cops became criminals.  Happens every time there is a power outage.  You are absolutely correct:  we are always a hair away from anarchy.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 10:54:37 AM »
This is true.  Just look at Katrina and New Orleans.  Even the cops became criminals.  Happens every time there is a power outage.  You are absolutely correct:  we are always a hair away from anarchy.

the pics of the overweight cops looting from walmart were hilarious.  just hilarious.

I bet that if power/web/tv went down in AMerican, the cops would be the first ones leading teams of pirates/looters to "secure" (steal) resources for their own families.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 11:00:13 AM »
Never.....i feel if one of us ever screws up like that then its over for the rest of us. Besides what in a store is worth dying for. Now is somebody said  i could get Tom Brady's autograph, look out..or BB's hoody hell yeah, I'd be blazing away.  ;D Hell i'd shoot u in the foot if Brady would flash his pearly whites at me... :D
So I can look forward to seeing you on the evening news at some point?

hahahaa

Wauwatosa is about 20 minutes from where I live and I hadn't heard of this pathetic display.

I'm referring to the stampede and not your jones for Tom Brady's autograph heheehhee

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 12:31:56 PM »

Hilarious, if it weren't so sad and true.  Consumerism at its best....whatever it takes to secure the latest, greatest gadget.  Just look at the iphone craze.  People going crazy over some gadget that has bad service, a poor web browser, mediocre phone..but folks just have to have it.  Look at Katrina...then take a look at the Indonesian tidal wave, and other tsunamis and natural disasters in southeast Asia.  You don't see masses of people trying to kill each other, turning into savages, shooting at rescue vehicles, and grabbing any kind of electric doo-dad and alcoholic beverage they can find.  Instead, for the most part, people are helping each other out and working together to overcome their problems.......and this is in much poorer areas than anywhere in the States. 

And yet, some people think WE are First World status.  Putting aside material wealth, our attitudes, demeanor, and decency barely top the worst Third World cesspools.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 12:35:08 PM »
Everybody is the same..look at France...and the Japs..they're like little kids. I'm headed there next week...its shocking how such an ancient warrior cultural has been reduced to a bunch of children.
L

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 04:42:08 PM »

You are right on this Mr Bum, no question.  This is why it makes me irritated when I hear people (Californians),*No Oil wells, no refineries, no nuclear plants, no power distribution grids, NO HEAVY INDUSTRY WHATEVER!" Then in the next breath, "the price of energy is outrageous!"

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 07:28:58 PM »
Hilarious, if it weren't so sad and true.  Consumerism at its best....whatever it takes to secure the latest, greatest gadget.  Just look at the iphone craze.  People going crazy over some gadget that has bad service, a poor web browser, mediocre phone..but folks just have to have it.  Look at Katrina...then take a look at the Indonesian tidal wave, and other tsunamis and natural disasters in southeast Asia.  You don't see masses of people trying to kill each other, turning into savages, shooting at rescue vehicles, and grabbing any kind of electric doo-dad and alcoholic beverage they can find.  Instead, for the most part, people are helping each other out and working together to overcome their problems.......and this is in much poorer areas than anywhere in the States. 

And yet, some people think WE are First World status.  Putting aside material wealth, our attitudes, demeanor, and decency barely top the worst Third World cesspools.
hahahaha, like the hordes of katrina 'victims' shown on the news wading waist deep in flood water carrying armfulls of dvd players and basketball jerseys