Author Topic: Gym Membership question  (Read 1779 times)

BIG DUB

• Getbig IV
Gym Membership question
« on: November 27, 2007, 06:05:04 PM »
 Previous gym was giving me the run-a-round about renewing with my old deal. Went to the new gym up the road and signed up for a 1 year special through my job. Looked at the contract and saw the guy had the contract ending in 2009. It's signed.. and i paid in full.. Do they have a case if they catch the error? I'm not telling them.

StillTippin

• Getbig III
Re: Gym Membership question
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 06:08:08 PM »
Does it say what month in 2009 or anything more specific like that?

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 06:11:23 PM »
fuck teh man , good for you
The Number 2 in Scranton

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 06:16:32 PM »
You came out on top.  8)

BIG DUB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 06:20:28 PM »
Yep,  I did it today. I just went in to look around actually, liked the place and did it. Comes out to be about 10.00/month. Full free weight area, cardio out the ass, full court b-ball, masseuse, opens early closes late..
Does it say what month in 2009 or anything more specific like that?

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 06:25:57 PM »
sounds like you got over to me bro. U must be a jew? >:(

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 06:27:14 PM »
Yep,  I did it today. I just went in to look around actually, liked the place and did it. Comes out to be about 10.00/month. Full free weight area, cardio out the ass, full court b-ball, masseuse, opens early closes late..

Does "cardio out the ass" = "passing gas is allowed only on cardio equipment" :D

Sounds like you got a deal. Trust me the books at a lot of gyms is more screwed up than my last 3 marriages.
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 06:29:01 PM »
the mgr or someone will catch their mistake and confront you(or not) ...so, you have to be ready for battle...when push comes to shove always claim to bring a lawyer into the mix...it works more times than not..you mention contacting your lawyer and they will fold like a lawn chair..haha

aussiepro

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 06:30:54 PM »
it will come out on there system when your membership is due to expire, and that will be in direct relation to when you made the payment.. it will be a year after that, the contract that you signed wont matter too much (especially because your not on any sort of direct debit system) you'll have to pay another fee when your year is up (if you want to stay at the gym). In the contract it will say 1 year membership paid up front and a starting date. your membership will expire 1 year after this date.. sorry you wont get a longer membership
there's no magic pills... just needles

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 06:37:10 PM »
it will come out on there system when your membership is due to expire, and that will be in direct relation to when you made the payment.. it will be a year after that, the contract that you signed wont matter too much (especially because your not on any sort of direct debit system) you'll have to pay another fee when your year is up (if you want to stay at the gym). In the contract it will say 1 year membership paid up front and a starting date. your membership will expire 1 year after this date.. sorry you wont get a longer membership

This is possible but most likely they may have given you a few extra months for signing up right away, like a first visit incentive or a corporate rate cause of your work situation.   If that's the case, you're membership could start today 11/27/07 and go til 1/27/09 (14 months....2 months free, which is what we do for paying in full the first day).

Also, no offense, it helps to read what you're signing and ask questions....that goes with just about everything.

aussiepro

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 06:40:48 PM »
This is possible but most likely they may have given you a few extra months for signing up right away, like a first visit incentive or a corporate rate cause of your work situation.   If that's the case, you're membership could start today 11/27/07 and go til 1/27/09 (14 months....2 months free, which is what we do for paying in full the first day).

Also, no offense, it helps to read what you're signing and ask questions....that goes with just about everything.
this could be true.. but if it was a mistake on the form you will not get any ectra months from your money... but yeah you could have gotten a deal for paying it all up front

BIG DUB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 06:57:31 PM »
There's no wording saying it was a one year deal. it just says it begins on 11/27/07 and expires 11/27/09. They have 2 year specials running, so if it comes out in there system,it will be 2 yrs from now the way i'm thinking.

aussiepro

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 07:03:08 PM »
There's no wording saying it was a one year deal. it just says it begins on 11/27/07 and expires 11/27/09. They have 2 year specials running, so if it comes out in there system,it will be 2 yrs from now the way i'm thinking.

i just know at my gym we get everyone to sing a contract, and on that it has a starting date and what type of membership that they are on, aswell as payments and so on...
your gym doesn't sound like its got all there paperwork together, or they just don't seem to mind.. either way i hope you get a longer membership than you payed for, i was just putting in my input in what they should have done..
 GOOD LUCK

BIG DUB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 07:03:36 PM »
I read it believe me, that's what i said earlier, when i saw the 8 ws really a nine, i signed it... i brought the flyer in from my job and got that special, he knew nothing about it and i kept the flyer. It was for 1 year, I always pay in full so there's no bull shit when it come to having draft access to my account.

This is possible but most likely they may have given you a few extra months for signing up right away, like a first visit incentive or a corporate rate cause of your work situation.   If that's the case, you're membership could start today 11/27/07 and go til 1/27/09 (14 months....2 months free, which is what we do for paying in full the first day).

highlander

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 07:17:41 PM »
it'll be sweet.

if you pay up front as you have, you don't have a year contract - only a start/finish date contract. every gym offers 14 for 12mths etc as mike pointed out. you are stupid to pay up front without screwing them over.

12 mth contracts are there to lock members into paying for 12 mths.

u signed a contact under a corp price. if they "pick it up" which they won't, bullshit to them that it was part of the corp deal.

i would be more worried if they are still going to be open in a years time.

BIG DUB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 07:37:14 PM »
They still honor contracts even when the business changes hands. I had that happen a few times when gyms get bought in the past. I always pay up front because i can negotiate a better deal and it's set in stone. These gyms have a hundred add-on clauses that gives them access to your money when you do debit draft, had that happen to me a few times too. hard to fight and lots of paperwork to piss you off.

it'll be sweet.

if you pay up front as you have, you don't have a year contract - only a start/finish date contract. every gym offers 14 for 12mths etc as mike pointed out. you are stupid to pay up front without screwing them over.

12 mth contracts are there to lock members into paying for 12 mths.

u signed a contact under a corp price. if they "pick it up" which they won't, bullshit to them that it was part of the corp deal.

i would be more worried if they are still going to be open in a years time.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 07:45:08 PM »
Previous gym was giving me the run-a-round about renewing with my old deal. Went to the new gym up the road and signed up for a 1 year special through my job. Looked at the contract and saw the guy had the contract ending in 2009. It's signed.. and i paid in full.. Do they have a case if they catch the error? I'm not telling them.

in most states any contract has a ''grace'' period.. something like in 10 days if you change your mind, you can get out of the contract. look into it

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 08:47:23 AM »
10 a month sounds like Planet Fitness
X

rudylrichards

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 11:37:17 AM »
the mgr or someone will catch their mistake and confront you(or not) ...so, you have to be ready for battle...when push comes to shove always claim to bring a lawyer into the mix...it works more times than not..you mention contacting your lawyer and they will fold like a lawn chair..haha
They have to honor the contract regardless of what their system says. They could point out that they made a mistake and hope you'll do the honorable. Unless YOU agree with them, they have to honor it.  even if they don't have and official 2yr contract they can't prove that they didn't give you additional time as incentive to sign up

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 11:40:21 AM »

Please tell me no one on Getbig trains at that God-forbidden gym.  :-[

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 11:44:45 AM »

Or 24-Hour Fitness.  When I used to work there you could prepay for 12 months for $599 and get 24 months free, then renew each year at like $50-100.  Access to all their clubs, etc.  Good shit.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 12:14:38 PM »
Read before you sign, brother.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 01:05:30 PM »

don't GRUNT or they will revoke your membership. True story!