Author Topic: GNC Products  (Read 2830 times)

syn1313

• Getbig I
  • "You Lose !"
GNC Products
« on: November 28, 2007, 07:29:56 AM »
Is it worth it to buy The GNC brand sups.  I've tried the Protein and Creatine products but maybe using them wrong cause don't really see any gain.
D

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
Re: GNC Products
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 07:32:51 AM »
Is it worth it to buy The GNC brand sups.  I've tried the Protein and Creatine products but maybe using them wrong cause don't really see any gain.

GNC= Got No Clue

The cashiers get all their knowledge from Muscletech Ads. Your gains may be hampered by your rest of your diet and training? Need to know more about what else you are doing to determine if it is the supps....

Pete Nice

• Getbig IV
  • Can't wait until the new DaddyWaddy's come out
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 11:08:38 AM »
GNC= Got No Clue

The cashiers get all their knowledge from Muscletech Ads. Your gains may be hampered by your rest of your diet and training? Need to know more about what else you are doing to determine if it is the supps....

agreed...for the most part Protein is protein and creatine mono is creatine mono so if you are getting your products for a reasonable price your not really hurting yourself.  You just need to check your training and nutrition protocol, and make sure that it is adequate to aiding you in gaining strength and muscle mass
Air Falcon

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 01:08:21 PM »
Their products aren't bad but they're very basic and of questionable quality. Can't knock the brand in general, as for the employees I can say this.

I interviewed for  a GNC three years ago. I was told I would get 10 dollars an hour and 20% commission when I sold whatever product was being pumped that month, also I believe 10% on all GNC product sales. Now, you ask yourself "whats a promo product?" Well way it works is a product manufacturer (usually muscletech) pays GNC corp to force their employees to hype their particular product(s). They FIRE YOU if you don't. What this translates to was pretty clear 2 weeks ago when 2 kids came in here wondering what I thought about cell-tech for fat loss. I was in shock, asked them where they got the information and they said a short chinese lady recommended it when they asked for a good THERMOGENIC. She was stupid enough to do this, she could have at least said hydroxycut or something. Apparently 8 scoops a day for 5 days followed by 2 scoops in the morning and 2 scoops after training would help them drop weight like crazy. Pfffft what a joke, I wouldn't be surprised if half the shit they say is actually harmful to many people. I ask all my customers their goals, any health problems I should know about etc and weigh everything before making a recommendation, guess they don't believe in really taking care of anyone but whoever cuts them a check.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 01:32:04 PM »
...and you are not saving money on Gold Card week. I went into one during that week and they jacked up retail to about 20% above normal price. So when they take the 20% off, it is still the same price! BASTARDS!!

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 02:01:03 PM »
Haha, when I lived in Florida a store did the same thing.  That's the last time I stepped foot in one of those places.

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 03:17:49 PM »
>:(

Beener

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 07:05:10 PM »
...and you are not saving money on Gold Card week. I went into one during that week and they jacked up retail to about 20% above normal price. So when they take the 20% off, it is still the same price! BASTARDS!!

Ya and normally the gold card discount just makes stuff the same price as normal stores. I've only been to a gnc once and will never go back.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 09:05:02 PM »
I believe some of them are franchises so they're not all like that.  Some do actually train their staff and hire halfway qualified people.
:

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 01:41:21 AM »
Their products aren't bad but they're very basic and of questionable quality. Can't knock the brand in general, as for the employees I can say this.

I interviewed for  a GNC three years ago. I was told I would get 10 dollars an hour and 20% commission when I sold whatever product was being pumped that month, also I believe 10% on all GNC product sales. Now, you ask yourself "whats a promo product?" Well way it works is a product manufacturer (usually muscletech) pays GNC corp to force their employees to hype their particular product(s). They FIRE YOU if you don't. What this translates to was pretty clear 2 weeks ago when 2 kids came in here wondering what I thought about cell-tech for fat loss. I was in shock, asked them where they got the information and they said a short chinese lady recommended it when they asked for a good THERMOGENIC. She was stupid enough to do this, she could have at least said hydroxycut or something. Apparently 8 scoops a day for 5 days followed by 2 scoops in the morning and 2 scoops after training would help them drop weight like crazy. Pfffft what a joke, I wouldn't be surprised if half the shit they say is actually harmful to many people. I ask all my customers their goals, any health problems I should know about etc and weigh everything before making a recommendation, guess they don't believe in really taking care of anyone but whoever cuts them a check.

I was browsing at a GNC in the mall one day and actually heard the clerk there advising a pregnant woman how to take xenadrines.  This was back when it still had the ephedra in it.  My mind was blown.

DylanPG

• Getbig II
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 10:29:10 AM »
I believe some of them are franchises so they're not all like that.  Some do actually train their staff and hire halfway qualified people.

I agree with this.  I used to work at GNC and tried to give people honest answers.  We never raised our prices for Gold Card week, but the prices were still too high.  Unless you get items that are marked down for expiration, you'll find better deals elsewhere.  I do think that the quality is good on their products though.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 02:09:33 PM »
I was browsing at a GNC in the mall one day and actually heard the clerk there advising a pregnant woman how to take xenadrines.  This was back when it still had the ephedra in it.  My mind was blown.

You speak up at this point, I hope you didn't just let her walk out without knowing any better...

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 03:58:10 PM »
Ive bought a few products from GNC, but most of the time I walk into a GNC, I usually get 5 finger discounts. Thier all about MuscleTech Supplements.

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 04:18:23 PM »
Ive bought a few products from GNC, but most of the time I walk into a GNC, I usually get 5 finger discounts. Thier all about MuscleTech Supplements.
Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha!
?

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 05:41:05 PM »
You speak up at this point, I hope you didn't just let her walk out without knowing any better...

I didn't stop her but I told her husband not to let her buy the stuff.  They put it on the counter and took off.

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 09:24:29 PM »
As for their quality I would trust them.  If the label says 5gs of creatine I'm inclined to believe there is 5gs of creatine within a small percentage.  As for their prices you could go pretty much anywhere else and recieve a better value.  Even with that Gold Card it is still more expersive by a long shot. 

All that GNC really has going for them is that they have built a name.  A more educated consumer shops elsewhere. 

As Princess L mentioned francises tend to have a better staff as the owners are likley to treat the staff better.  Walk into most of these mall/corporate stores and you can tell by talking to the staff that they don't have a clue.  What other motivations do 80 year old ladys have to sell MuscleTech if they were not being compensated?

Morale of the story is to do your homework and be an educated consumer!

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 09:58:01 AM »

Ahhh haaaa haaaa...make sure sure there isn't a little black dome in the ceiling tiles otherwise smile for the camera.  ;D

I knew some kids a while back that worked at a GNC and could have started their own store from all the stuff they took out the back door!!!

They get pretty good kick-backs by pushing M.Tech.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 09:42:25 PM »
I didn't stop her but I told her husband not to let her buy the stuff.  They put it on the counter and took off.

Well thats good at least. I would have bought the pills, claimed she had  a reaction and sued them. Ignorance like that is dangerous.

kittom

• Getbig II
Re: GNC Products where else over the net?
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2007, 10:07:50 PM »
The GNC bigger question remains... all answered the base line question, and refered to going else where..but no recommendations were made or given ..does that now push the shopper to the net?

GNC some of the best products I know of are mfged from Abbott lab.. EAS and are expensive as well... but unless you are training and have a sponsor to help suport or supplement your need for additional intake... for the average "joe or Jil" GNC is beteer than nothing...

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 04:40:55 AM »

Yes it is!!!

The only way you can use either creatine or protein wrong is to simply not take enough of it. GNC’s products are pretty good, in my opinion, especially their protein powders (The Banana-flavored whey protein is FANTANSTIC!!!). What even better about GNC products is when they have either the “buy one; get one 50% off” sales. Or, their products get marked down.

I got a really great deal on two 5-lb. jugs of Soy Protein 95. Both were marked down to $25 each. Plus, with the Gold Card (which you can use on marked-down items), I ended up spending a mere $40 for 10 lbs. of protein powder. It’s really great when their RTDs are marked down and “Buy one; get one 50% off”. With that and the Gold Card, you can really clean up!!

Who doesn't pull that trick. Just be patient and wait for the markdowns. I do and it almost always pays off, especially two years ago, when they were clearing out 7-lb jugs of CELL-TECH (the old formula in the blue and white jugs) for $20.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 11:01:43 AM »
Who doesn't pull that trick. Just be patient and wait for the markdowns. I do and it almost always pays off, especially two years ago, when they were clearing out 7-lb jugs of CELL-TECH (the old formula in the blue and white jugs) for $20.

Sorry bro, know lots of stores that don't do that. That is why I would shop at mom and pops with employees that can answer questions and educate you. If you know what you are doing, net is always cheaper.

I really don't think Cell Tech is even worth $20.....monohydrate is cheap enough and you can mix your own dextose and wash down some ALA with it.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 01:01:59 PM »
I price some l- glutamine from bodybuilding.com vs gnc band, and with shipping and everything gnc was cheaper dollar/mg.
A

jianjohn24

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
gnc
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2007, 10:53:27 PM »
 ;DMCWAY knows what's up! They follow an 8 month markdown policy on their products, so since we're in December right now, any product expiring in 8-2008 would be discounted! Good deals to be found, you just gotta make sure it's a corporate store, and tell the associates you know how the markdown procedure is, cuz sometimes the associates wanna hoard all the good shit for themselves, and they won't tell you it's on sale! As for their vitamins, fish oils, etc. their shit is top notch. Their in house sports nutrition brand I heard is manufactured by the same guys as vitamin shoppe so it's decent.
Team Willet
Max-OT

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2007, 03:43:15 AM »
I price some l- glutamine from bodybuilding.com vs gnc band, and with shipping and everything gnc was cheaper dollar/mg.

glutamine is a waste of money no matter where you buy it.  Hope this helps.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2007, 06:01:13 AM »
glutamine is a waste of money no matter where you buy it.  Hope this helps.

It helps me, maybe its the placebo effect? i dont know, but it helps
A