Author Topic: Vick to pay $1 million for dogs as fortune shrinks  (Read 3066 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Vick to pay $1 million for dogs as fortune shrinks
« on: November 28, 2007, 09:35:53 AM »
Good move.  I must be one of the few people in America who thinks this is excessive (multiple criminal proceedings, becoming a pariah, losing millions, etc.).

Vick to pay $1 million for dogs as fortune shrinks
(CNN) -- Former NFL quarterback Michael Vick has agreed to pay nearly $1 million for the care of about 54 pit bulls found on his property during a dogfighting raid.

Michael Vick leaves court in Richmond, Viriginia, in August after pleading guilty to dogfighting charges.

His lawyer William R. Martin said in court documents that Vick will deposit $928,073.04 by Friday to an escrow account.

The money is "to be used to pay whatever restitution money is ultimately ordered in this case," states the document, known as a consent order.

The order was filed a week after federal prosecutors asked a federal court in Virginia to order Vick -- also known as "Ookie" -- to keep that much money on hand to cover the dogs' care.

Vick had agreed under his plea agreement to pay "restitution for the full amount of the costs associated with the disposition of all dogs" in the case.

Those costs, Vick agreed, could include "the long-term care and/or the humane euthanasia of some or all of those animals." They were seized from the Bad Newz Kennels on his property in Surry County, Virginia.

Prosecutors pointed in court documents to Vick's deteriorating financial condition. Among the points cited:

• The Atlanta Falcons' attempt to recoup bonus money from his 10-year, $130 million 2004 football contract,
• Vick's alleged default on a $1.3 million bank loan for a wine store,
• Another bank's lawsuit seeking payment for default on a $2.5 million line of credit,
• A third bank's lawsuit seeking at least $2 million for loans related to a car-rental business.

"In addition, published reports also indicate that Vick is in the process of selling assets, specifically a suburban Atlanta home listed at $4.5 million," the court papers said.

Vick, 27, surrendered November 19 to federal authorities to get a jump start on the sentence for his August guilty plea to a federal conspiracy charge of bankrolling a dogfighting operation.

He is being held at Northern Neck Regional Jail in Warsaw, Virginia, until an upcoming sentencing hearing.

Vick pleaded guilty to the federal charge after three associates admitted their own roles in the operation and agreed to cooperate with prosecutors.

The quarterback, who has been suspended indefinitely by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, faces 12 to 18 months in prison on the conspiracy charge.

On September 25, a Virginia grand jury indicted Vick and the three co-defendants on state charges of running a dogfighting ring.

The Surry County grand jury brought two felony charges against the four men: one count of unlawfully torturing and killing dogs and one of promoting dogfights. Each could result in a five-year prison term.

A trial on the state charges has been set for April.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/11/28/vick.dogs/index.html

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
Re: Vick to pay $1 million for dogs as fortune shrinks
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 07:50:08 AM »
maybe it's excessive because what he did for SIX years was a bit excessive? No?
footloose and fancy free

body88

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 08:06:17 AM »
I don't think this is excessive at all. Dogs are innocent creatures.. They don't know you are going to harm them if they trust you. Vick not only fought dogs till the death , he killed puppies in inhumane and grotesque ways.

As a former pitbull owner you can see why these animals get such a bad rap. The type of people who own pits these days are the Micheal Vick's of the world. Actually they are worse. Now in days a lot of uneducated , cruel , ignorant TRASH. The hip hop idiots are to thank for the influx of ignorant morons owning pitbulls. People with no clue how to raise a powerful animal.

Its a damn shame because at one point the pit was considered a very prestigious dog. The mascot of the navy at one point. Truman owned one. Petey from little rascals was a pit also. Pits are the "pro athletes" of the k9 "race". The strongest ( can pull 30 times there bodyweight), the most game (most determined) and the toughest (they will fight till the death to protect there owners against danger). Thats why they are used to fight.

Now the majority who own them are people who fight them to the death. People who don't think twice about slamming a dog on the ground until his brain drips out.

You imagine being slammed to death? Like Vick did to one of the dogs he killed, for no reason.

Micheal Vick is a professional athlete. A person who makes millions. For him to do what he did is even more despicable.

I hope that Vick gets abused and raped in prison. I also hope the scum never plays in the NFL again. I am also laughing my ass of. I knew that piece of shit would go to prison. Not to mention he lost tens of millions. Haha, I hope he loses everything.

He does not deserve the perks of being a pro athlete.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 11:29:34 AM »
I don't think this is excessive at all. Dogs are innocent creatures.. They don't know you are going to harm them if they trust you. Vick not only fought dogs till the death , he killed puppies in inhumane and grotesque ways.

As a former pitbull owner you can see why these animals get such a bad rap. The type of people who own pits these days are the Micheal Vick's of the world. Actually they are worse. Now in days a lot of uneducated , cruel , ignorant TRASH. The hip hop idiots are to thank for the influx of ignorant morons owning pitbulls. People with no clue how to raise a powerful animal.

Its a damn shame because at one point the pit was considered a very prestigious dog. The mascot of the navy at one point. Truman owned one. Petey from little rascals was a pit also. Pits are the "pro athletes" of the k9 "race". The strongest ( can pull 30 times there bodyweight), the most game (most determined) and the toughest (they will fight till the death to protect there owners against danger). Thats why they are used to fight.

Now the majority who own them are people who fight them to the death. People who don't think twice about slamming a dog on the ground until his brain drips out.

You imagine being slammed to death? Like Vick did to one of the dogs he killed, for no reason.

Micheal Vick is a professional athlete. A person who makes millions. For him to do what he did is even more despicable.

I hope that Vick gets abused and raped in prison. I also hope the scum never plays in the NFL again. I am also laughing my ass of. I knew that piece of shit would go to prison. Not to mention he lost tens of millions. Haha, I hope he loses everything.

Good points and I'm not trying to diminish what he did.  I just think the outcry and punishment is disproportionate to the crime.  You hope a man gets raped in prison because he killed dogs?  That sounds pretty excessive to me. 

The way I see this is he should be punished and he will be.  He has already lost tens of millions of dollars, his social status, his right to vote, his right to own a gun, his ability to work his profession at least for the next few years, and he will serve time in prison.  I bet there are guys who have committed far worse crimes who don't face that kind of punishment.

I don't feel sorry for Vick at all because he made his own bed, but I do think some of this is a bit much.   

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 12:56:39 PM »

Nice pull on the trivia, Body88! Now the midshipmen have a ram as the mascot. They should have kept the pit.

Nice win by the midshipmen today. 38-3 over Army today in Baltimore.

Sorry wrong thread, but it's still sports!

By the way, I wouldn't be suprised if Vick gets verbally harassed and maybe physically abused in prison. There is a code of justice amongst prison immates regarding incoming child offenders. Those guys usually get beaten or killed. Wouldn't surprise me if that same code existed for animal cruelty offenders as well on a lower level.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 01:31:32 PM »
The stupidity evidenced by this case is staggering.  Michael Vick is going to be declaring bankrupcy soon enough.  Staggering stupidity, just staggering.

body88

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 02:39:04 PM »
Good points and I'm not trying to diminish what he did.  I just think the outcry and punishment is disproportionate to the crime.  You hope a man gets raped in prison because he killed dogs?  That sounds pretty excessive to me. 

The way I see this is he should be punished and he will be.  He has already lost tens of millions of dollars, his social status, his right to vote, his right to own a gun, his ability to work his profession at least for the next few years, and he will serve time in prison.  I bet there are guys who have committed far worse crimes who don't face that kind of punishment.

I don't feel sorry for Vick at all because he made his own bed, but I do think some of this is a bit much.   

Beach I know what you mean. I just feel like a person who takes a puppy and slams it to the ground until it dies deserves to be assaulted.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 09:51:32 PM »
I hope this scumbag gets destroyed in jail. We will see how tough he is without his "crew".  I doubt he'll be able to pick up any of those guys and slam them on the ground.